Adding a Network Printer

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBDYWw=?=

Adding a Network Printer
Apparently I have the same problem as a few others here.
That is accessing the printer on my XP m/c from my Vista Laptop.
Laptop sees it ok, but when i try to connect or add it. I get the message,
Windows can't connect to printer, access is denied.
I have checked and double checked all the firewall and sharing.
It can't be too much of a problem as I can see all the network Icons on the
other PC..
Someone somewhere, must have the answer... D
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Adding a Network Printer
Did you disable UAC? If so, re-enable it just for the printer installation.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Dave Cal" <DaveCal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Apparently I have the same problem as a few others here.
> That is accessing the printer on my XP m/c from my Vista Laptop.
> Laptop sees it ok, but when i try to connect or add it. I get the message,
> Windows can't connect to printer, access is denied.
> I have checked and double checked all the firewall and sharing.
> It can't be too much of a problem as I can see all the network Icons on
> the
> other PC..
> Someone somewhere, must have the answer... D

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBDYWw=?=

Re: Adding a Network Printer
Thanks for the reply Cari, but how does one do that ? Dave

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you disable UAC? If so, re-enable it just for the printer installation.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Dave Cal" <DaveCal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Apparently I have the same problem as a few others here.
> > That is accessing the printer on my XP m/c from my Vista Laptop.
> > Laptop sees it ok, but when i try to connect or add it. I get the message,
> > Windows can't connect to printer, access is denied.
> > I have checked and double checked all the firewall and sharing.
> > It can't be too much of a problem as I can see all the network Icons on
> > the
> > other PC..
> > Someone somewhere, must have the answer... D

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBDYWw=?=

Re: Adding a Network Printer

No need to reply Cari, I figured it out. I've tried it both on & off and
access is still denied... It finds and shows the Printers, tries to connect
then denies access.
I'm at a loss... Dave

"Dave Cal" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Cari, but how does one do that ? Dave
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Did you disable UAC? If so, re-enable it just for the printer installation.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "Dave Cal" <DaveCal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Apparently I have the same problem as a few others here.
> > > That is accessing the printer on my XP m/c from my Vista Laptop.
> > > Laptop sees it ok, but when i try to connect or add it. I get the message,
> > > Windows can't connect to printer, access is denied.
> > > I have checked and double checked all the firewall and sharing.
> > > It can't be too much of a problem as I can see all the network Icons on
> > > the
> > > other PC..
> > > Someone somewhere, must have the answer... D

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Adding a Network Printer
Right click on the Network icon on the desktop.

If your XP PC has XP Pro with simple file sharing enabled or XP Home and do
NOT need passwords to logon (which ONLY has simple file sharing) then the
Vista network settings should be as follows:

"Name of Network" (the Workgroup)... same on all PCs "PRIVATE NETWORK"

Sharing and Discovery:

Network Discovery ON

File Sharing ON

Public folder sharing ON

Printer sharing ON

Password protected sharing OFF

Media Sharing On or Off.... irrelevant for this particular exercise,
it's your own choice.

Back on the XP PC.... check the PC is in the SAME workgroup.... right click
on the printer and double (or triple) check that the printer is set to be
shared.
--

> No need to reply Cari, I figured it out. I've tried it both on & off and
> access is still denied... It finds and shows the Printers, tries to
> connect
> then denies access.
> I'm at a loss... Dave
>
> "Dave Cal" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply Cari, but how does one do that ? Dave
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>> > Did you disable UAC? If so, re-enable it just for the printer
>> > installation.
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP)
>> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
>> > http://www.coribright.com/windows

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBDYWw=?=

Re: Adding a Network Printer
Thanks again Cari... I'd already done and checked all of these settings.
I finally got the printer to connect though. Not exactly sure how, but I
followed and tried all the tips from different people about adding printers.
I connected it to the Vista m/c, The Printer is a Canon i960 and Vista has
drivers already for it, but Canon has an update for them. it installed easily
on it's own (plug & play)
I noticed a few improvements on the driver, but mostly it was the same.
I checked the network from the XP host, it found the Printer on the Vista
m/c and printed right off. When I tried from The Vista side, again it
wouldn't connect.
This time I changed the name of the Host m/c making sure it was seen by the
others, and it was. I then tried the add a printer in Vista, but not the
network option. Long story short ! I ended up with my Printer icon showing in
the network.
It was off line but after right clicking and choosing the online option it
fired up.
The sound of that Printer waking up was music to my ears I can tell you.
I must have worked on it for about 3 or 4 days, but all worth it I guess.
To sum it all up... it looks to me as if Vista is the villain here, as it
all works from the XP side.
All I can say to others with this problem is hang in there & persevere... D

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Right click on the Network icon on the desktop.
>
> If your XP PC has XP Pro with simple file sharing enabled or XP Home and do
> NOT need passwords to logon (which ONLY has simple file sharing) then the
> Vista network settings should be as follows:
>
> "Name of Network" (the Workgroup)... same on all PCs "PRIVATE NETWORK"
>
> Sharing and Discovery:
>
> Network Discovery ON
>
> File Sharing ON
>
> Public folder sharing ON
>
> Printer sharing ON
>
> Password protected sharing OFF
>
> Media Sharing On or Off.... irrelevant for this particular exercise,
> it's your own choice.
>
> Back on the XP PC.... check the PC is in the SAME workgroup.... right click
> on the printer and double (or triple) check that the printer is set to be
> shared.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows

=?Utf-8?B?ZHJzaGVybG9jaw==?=

Re: Adding a Network Printer
Just got a new laptop with Vista Ultimate and had to work at it. I even
joined my current domain with server 2003 and several other XP Pro systems.
so far good until needed to add a shared printer on a XP system. I checked
and double checked the vista and xp settings you mentioned. I am getting
Windows Explorer to be restarted or wizard cannot be launched since access is
denied. Anyone experienced this one?