Sharing Printer

Martin Racette

Sharing Printer
Hi,

I set the printer in Vista(x64) to be shared, and when I go my laptop which
is using XP Pro, I can see the printer on the desktop computer, but I get a
message that I do not have the proper driver installed on the laptop. On
that same computer I can plug the printer and it works, since I have already
installed the drivers.

I tried to add the x86 setting in the sharing option on the Vista computer,
but even when I finally found the INF file for that printer I get a message
telling me that the file does not contain a driver for that specific printer

BTW the printer is a Canon PIXMAX IP 4000, and it installed automatically
with the Vista installation

--
Thank you in advance
Merci a l'avance

Martin

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing Printer
Download the Vista 32 bit drivers on the XP PC. Expand the file. When
installing the printer, tell it not to take the driver from the Vista PC but
point it instead to where you expanded the drivers.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I set the printer in Vista(x64) to be shared, and when I go my laptop
> which is using XP Pro, I can see the printer on the desktop computer, but
> I get a message that I do not have the proper driver installed on the
> laptop. On that same computer I can plug the printer and it works, since I
> have already installed the drivers.
>
> I tried to add the x86 setting in the sharing option on the Vista
> computer, but even when I finally found the INF file for that printer I
> get a message telling me that the file does not contain a driver for that
> specific printer
>
> BTW the printer is a Canon PIXMAX IP 4000, and it installed automatically
> with the Vista installation
>
> --
> Thank you in advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

Martin Racette

Re: Sharing Printer
and where can I find the driver (32bit) for Vista, I look on the intallation
DVD and I can not locate it

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Download the Vista 32 bit drivers on the XP PC. Expand the file. When
> installing the printer, tell it not to take the driver from the Vista PC
> but point it instead to where you expanded the drivers.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I set the printer in Vista(x64) to be shared, and when I go my laptop
>> which is using XP Pro, I can see the printer on the desktop computer, but
>> I get a message that I do not have the proper driver installed on the
>> laptop. On that same computer I can plug the printer and it works, since
>> I have already installed the drivers.
>>
>> I tried to add the x86 setting in the sharing option on the Vista
>> computer, but even when I finally found the INF file for that printer I
>> get a message telling me that the file does not contain a driver for that
>> specific printer
>>
>> BTW the printer is a Canon PIXMAX IP 4000, and it installed automatically
>> with the Vista installation
>>
>> --
>> Thank you in advance
>> Merci a l'avance
>>
>> Martin

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Sharing Printer
the driver files are not a flat file set.

Install Vista onto an x86 machine and share out
Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

ntprint.inf is under the ntprint.inf_GUID

You may need to just use an x86 client machine to install the x86 driver
onto the x64 machine depending on the driver dependencies.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team