Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
I am at my wits end!!
I cannot print from my 4 day old Laptop loaded with Vista Home Premium to
the printer attached to my XP SP2 Machine. I could print from my previous XP
SP2 laptop without problems. On both machines, all firewalls are off, all
virus programs are off, all printers are shared, all files are shared, both
computers are in the same workgroup, network discovery on, KB922120 is
installed on the XP machine, TCP/IPv4 WINS NetBios is enabled over TCP/IP,
network is private etc.......
What is interesting is that I successfully mapped drives on both PC's and
can fully share files in both directions between both computers. So for now
I am printing Vista files that I can see from my XP.
BUT, I can not browse (in explorer) the XP Computer network from the Vista
machine (Permission error, contact administrator - Myself?)
I have also tried to enter \\computername\printername\ which gives me (Error
0x0000000D) It looks like I am not alone in the issues in printing from
Vista to XP but I haven't seen anyone who has had my problem while being able
to actaully see files. Anyone out there know the fix before I return this PC
to BestBuy and get the one with XP media Centre Edition for $100 less?
=?Utf-8?B?TGVlIENsYXl0b24=?=

RE: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
Rob:

No one has responded but it appears that unless you have a brand new printer
that is Vista certified, you cannot network print to a printer on a XP Home
or XP Pro network.

THIS SUCKS! MS$ should be ashamed of putting out Vista and not allowing it
to network print to a XP networked printer.

--
Lee

"Rob" wrote:

> I am at my wits end!!
> I cannot print from my 4 day old Laptop loaded with Vista Home Premium to
> the printer attached to my XP SP2 Machine. I could print from my previous XP
> SP2 laptop without problems. On both machines, all firewalls are off, all
> virus programs are off, all printers are shared, all files are shared, both
> computers are in the same workgroup, network discovery on, KB922120 is
> installed on the XP machine, TCP/IPv4 WINS NetBios is enabled over TCP/IP,
> network is private etc.......
> What is interesting is that I successfully mapped drives on both PC's and
> can fully share files in both directions between both computers. So for now
> I am printing Vista files that I can see from my XP.
> BUT, I can not browse (in explorer) the XP Computer network from the Vista
> machine (Permission error, contact administrator - Myself?)
> I have also tried to enter \\computername\printername\ which gives me (Error
> 0x0000000D) It looks like I am not alone in the issues in printing from
> Vista to XP but I haven't seen anyone who has had my problem while being able
> to actaully see files. Anyone out there know the fix before I return this PC
> to BestBuy and get the one with XP media Centre Edition for $100 less?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

RE: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
Thanks Lee,
That's kinda what I was thinking, which is brutal.
Are you 100% sure of that? If that is the case, I at the very least feel
better knowing that I am not the idiot who can't figure it out. I will
assume that MS will EVENTUALLY put out a patch. This isn't acceptable, the
OS should be backwards compatible. If you surf the MS site for solutions,
most of what you find is "upgrade XP to Vista", planned obsolesence.....
We should place bets on how long it will take MS to fix it...

"Lee Clayton" wrote:

> Rob:
>
> No one has responded but it appears that unless you have a brand new printer
> that is Vista certified, you cannot network print to a printer on a XP Home
> or XP Pro network.
>
> THIS SUCKS! MS$ should be ashamed of putting out Vista and not allowing it
> to network print to a XP networked printer.
>
> --
> Lee
>

> "Rob" wrote:
>
> > I am at my wits end!!
> > I cannot print from my 4 day old Laptop loaded with Vista Home Premium to
> > the printer attached to my XP SP2 Machine. I could print from my previous XP
> > SP2 laptop without problems. On both machines, all firewalls are off, all
> > virus programs are off, all printers are shared, all files are shared, both
> > computers are in the same workgroup, network discovery on, KB922120 is
> > installed on the XP machine, TCP/IPv4 WINS NetBios is enabled over TCP/IP,
> > network is private etc.......
> > What is interesting is that I successfully mapped drives on both PC's and
> > can fully share files in both directions between both computers. So for now
> > I am printing Vista files that I can see from my XP.
> > BUT, I can not browse (in explorer) the XP Computer network from the Vista
> > machine (Permission error, contact administrator - Myself?)
> > I have also tried to enter \\computername\printername\ which gives me (Error
> > 0x0000000D) It looks like I am not alone in the issues in printing from
> > Vista to XP but I haven't seen anyone who has had my problem while being able
> > to actaully see files. Anyone out there know the fix before I return this PC
> > to BestBuy and get the one with XP media Centre Edition for $100 less?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

RE: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
One more thing, that reminds me of all the problems that I encountered when I
upgraded my OS to XP and nothing worked!! I guess the plan at MS is put the
product to the market and let the consumers be the BETA testers.

"Rob" wrote:

> Thanks Lee,
> That's kinda what I was thinking, which is brutal.
> Are you 100% sure of that? If that is the case, I at the very least feel
> better knowing that I am not the idiot who can't figure it out. I will
> assume that MS will EVENTUALLY put out a patch. This isn't acceptable, the
> OS should be backwards compatible. If you surf the MS site for solutions,
> most of what you find is "upgrade XP to Vista", planned obsolesence.....
> We should place bets on how long it will take MS to fix it...
>

> "Lee Clayton" wrote:
>
> > Rob:
> >
> > No one has responded but it appears that unless you have a brand new printer
> > that is Vista certified, you cannot network print to a printer on a XP Home
> > or XP Pro network.
> >
> > THIS SUCKS! MS$ should be ashamed of putting out Vista and not allowing it
> > to network print to a XP networked printer.
> >
> > --
> > Lee
> >

> > "Rob" wrote:
> >
> > > I am at my wits end!!
> > > I cannot print from my 4 day old Laptop loaded with Vista Home Premium to
> > > the printer attached to my XP SP2 Machine. I could print from my previous XP
> > > SP2 laptop without problems. On both machines, all firewalls are off, all
> > > virus programs are off, all printers are shared, all files are shared, both
> > > computers are in the same workgroup, network discovery on, KB922120 is
> > > installed on the XP machine, TCP/IPv4 WINS NetBios is enabled over TCP/IP,
> > > network is private etc.......
> > > What is interesting is that I successfully mapped drives on both PC's and
> > > can fully share files in both directions between both computers. So for now
> > > I am printing Vista files that I can see from my XP.
> > > BUT, I can not browse (in explorer) the XP Computer network from the Vista
> > > machine (Permission error, contact administrator - Myself?)
> > > I have also tried to enter \\computername\printername\ which gives me (Error
> > > 0x0000000D) It looks like I am not alone in the issues in printing from
> > > Vista to XP but I haven't seen anyone who has had my problem while being able
> > > to actaully see files. Anyone out there know the fix before I return this PC
> > > to BestBuy and get the one with XP media Centre Edition for $100 less?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2U=?=

RE: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
I have the same problem. Vista on the laptop connecting to the wireless
network printer attached to an XP desktop. I spent a good hour with Canon
tech support. Unfortunately, he was not able to help. At least I can see my
other networked XP computers on my Vista laptop so I can always move files
that need to be printed 'till MS comes up with a fix. If I had known about
this issue, I would not have upgraded.
=?Utf-8?B?TGVlIENsYXl0b24=?=

RE: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
My bet is there are going to be a LOT of pissed of people that have spent the
money to upgrade...thinking that they could use just one new vista computer
on a home network. I wonder if we could get our money back and send this
crap back to Microsoft? I really think it sucks that it is not backwards
compatible....just with printers! A Windows 98 networked printer could be
printed to from a Windows XP computer! And this is suppose to be an
improvement!

--
Lee

"Bruce" wrote:

> I have the same problem. Vista on the laptop connecting to the wireless
> network printer attached to an XP desktop. I spent a good hour with Canon
> tech support. Unfortunately, he was not able to help. At least I can see my
> other networked XP computers on my Vista laptop so I can always move files
> that need to be printed 'till MS comes up with a fix. If I had known about
> this issue, I would not have upgraded.

Brian W

Re: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
I has to switch of passwords on the network on the Vista machine to get the
Xp machine to be seen by the vista machine

MMM "Vista shiny"
"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am at my wits end!!
> I cannot print from my 4 day old Laptop loaded with Vista Home Premium to
> the printer attached to my XP SP2 Machine. I could print from my previous
> XP
> SP2 laptop without problems. On both machines, all firewalls are off, all
> virus programs are off, all printers are shared, all files are shared,
> both
> computers are in the same workgroup, network discovery on, KB922120 is
> installed on the XP machine, TCP/IPv4 WINS NetBios is enabled over TCP/IP,
> network is private etc.......
> What is interesting is that I successfully mapped drives on both PC's and
> can fully share files in both directions between both computers. So for
> now
> I am printing Vista files that I can see from my XP.
> BUT, I can not browse (in explorer) the XP Computer network from the Vista
> machine (Permission error, contact administrator - Myself?)
> I have also tried to enter \\computername\printername\ which gives me
> (Error
> 0x0000000D) It looks like I am not alone in the issues in printing from
> Vista to XP but I haven't seen anyone who has had my problem while being
> able
> to actaully see files. Anyone out there know the fix before I return this
> PC
> to BestBuy and get the one with XP media Centre Edition for $100 less?

Brian W

Re: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
my spelling brain must off

switch off password protected sharing in the Network and Sharing Center page
"Brian W" <bex753@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I has to switch of passwords on the network on the Vista machine to get the
>Xp machine to be seen by the vista machine
>
> MMM "Vista shiny"
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am at my wits end!!
>> I cannot print from my 4 day old Laptop loaded with Vista Home Premium to
>> the printer attached to my XP SP2 Machine. I could print from my
>> previous XP
>> SP2 laptop without problems. On both machines, all firewalls are off,
>> all
>> virus programs are off, all printers are shared, all files are shared,
>> both
>> computers are in the same workgroup, network discovery on, KB922120 is
>> installed on the XP machine, TCP/IPv4 WINS NetBios is enabled over
>> TCP/IP,
>> network is private etc.......
>> What is interesting is that I successfully mapped drives on both PC's and
>> can fully share files in both directions between both computers. So for
>> now
>> I am printing Vista files that I can see from my XP.
>> BUT, I can not browse (in explorer) the XP Computer network from the
>> Vista
>> machine (Permission error, contact administrator - Myself?)
>> I have also tried to enter \\computername\printername\ which gives me
>> (Error
>> 0x0000000D) It looks like I am not alone in the issues in printing from
>> Vista to XP but I haven't seen anyone who has had my problem while being
>> able
>> to actaully see files. Anyone out there know the fix before I return
>> this PC
>> to BestBuy and get the one with XP media Centre Edition for $100 less?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

Re: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
I tried it both ways and it made no difference.
I like the new sound effect when I get the critical error....not!

"Brian W" wrote:

> my spelling brain must off
>
> switch off password protected sharing in the Network and Sharing Center page
> "Brian W" <bex753@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I has to switch of passwords on the network on the Vista machine to get the
> >Xp machine to be seen by the vista machine
> >
> > MMM "Vista shiny"
> > "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I am at my wits end!!
> >> I cannot print from my 4 day old Laptop loaded with Vista Home Premium to
> >> the printer attached to my XP SP2 Machine. I could print from my
> >> previous XP
> >> SP2 laptop without problems. On both machines, all firewalls are off,
> >> all
> >> virus programs are off, all printers are shared, all files are shared,
> >> both
> >> computers are in the same workgroup, network discovery on, KB922120 is
> >> installed on the XP machine, TCP/IPv4 WINS NetBios is enabled over
> >> TCP/IP,
> >> network is private etc.......
> >> What is interesting is that I successfully mapped drives on both PC's and
> >> can fully share files in both directions between both computers. So for
> >> now
> >> I am printing Vista files that I can see from my XP.
> >> BUT, I can not browse (in explorer) the XP Computer network from the
> >> Vista
> >> machine (Permission error, contact administrator - Myself?)
> >> I have also tried to enter \\computername\printername\ which gives me
> >> (Error
> >> 0x0000000D) It looks like I am not alone in the issues in printing from
> >> Vista to XP but I haven't seen anyone who has had my problem while being
> >> able
> >> to actaully see files. Anyone out there know the fix before I return
> >> this PC
> >> to BestBuy and get the one with XP media Centre Edition for $100 less?

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Cannot Print to XP Printer from Vista but I can share files
What make and model printer is it?