Scanner driver

=?Utf-8?B?UmV4?=

Scanner driver
I got a Plustek OpticPro S28 scanner. Vista seems to have problem to work
with this driver; it does not allow driver program installation. I check the
manufacturer's site where there is no updated driver for Vista available.
What should I do? I cannot use the scanner after installing Vista. Pls help
BobC

Re: Scanner driver

"Rex" <Rex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got a Plustek OpticPro S28 scanner. Vista seems to have problem to work
> with this driver; it does not allow driver program installation. I check
> the
> manufacturer's site where there is no updated driver for Vista available.
> What should I do? I cannot use the scanner after installing Vista. Pls
> help

http://www.plustek.com/support/support.asp

Here is a link to "their" tech support .I would see what they have to say
about Vista drivers for your hardware.
Rgds

=?Utf-8?B?UmV4?=

Re: Scanner driver
Bob,

Pls let me know as soon as you have replied from their tech support.

"BobC" wrote:

> "Rex" <Rex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I got a Plustek OpticPro S28 scanner. Vista seems to have problem to work
> > with this driver; it does not allow driver program installation. I check
> > the
> > manufacturer's site where there is no updated driver for Vista available.
> > What should I do? I cannot use the scanner after installing Vista. Pls
> > help

> http://www.plustek.com/support/support.asp
>
> Here is a link to "their" tech support .I would see what they have to say
> about Vista drivers for your hardware.
> Rgds

BobC

Re: Scanner driver
Rex,the link I posted was for YOU to contact tech support ,I do not have "A
Plustek" scanner.

> Bob,
>
> Pls let me know as soon as you have replied from their tech support.
>

> "BobC" wrote:
>

>> "Rex" <Rex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I got a Plustek OpticPro S28 scanner. Vista seems to have problem to
>> >work
>> > with this driver; it does not allow driver program installation. I
>> > check
>> > the
>> > manufacturer's site where there is no updated driver for Vista
>> > available.
>> > What should I do? I cannot use the scanner after installing Vista. Pls
>> > help

>> http://www.plustek.com/support/support.asp
>>
>> Here is a link to "their" tech support .I would see what they have to say
>> about Vista drivers for your hardware.
>> Rgds

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=

RE: Scanner driver
Vista scanner drivers are never going to be available on some scanners, like
my HP 3970. HP's solution is to buy another Vista scanner!

"Rex" wrote:

> I got a Plustek OpticPro S28 scanner. Vista seems to have problem to work
> with this driver; it does not allow driver program installation. I check the
> manufacturer's site where there is no updated driver for Vista available.
> What should I do? I cannot use the scanner after installing Vista. Pls help

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=

RE: Scanner driver
There is no Vista driver for your scanner. Maybe later or maybe never--ask
Plustek. Many scanners will never be Vista compatible.

"Rex" wrote:

> I got a Plustek OpticPro S28 scanner. Vista seems to have problem to work
> with this driver; it does not allow driver program installation. I check the
> manufacturer's site where there is no updated driver for Vista available.
> What should I do? I cannot use the scanner after installing Vista. Pls help

=?Utf-8?B?UmV4?=

Re: Scanner driver
Bob,

I did send out my concern to Plustek. No reply from them so far. I don't
expect them to have the latest driver for an old model scanner.

That lead me to another question. How come the Vista is not backward
compatible? Does Microsoft expect all user to upgrade/replace their hardwares
to Vista compatible?

> Bob,
>
> I did send out my concern to Plustek. No reply from them so far. I don't
> expect them to have the latest driver for an old model scanner.
>
> That lead me to another question. How come the Vista is not backward
> compatible? Does Microsoft expect all user to upgrade/replace their
> hardwares
> to Vista compatible?

Well,lets hope that Plustek has a driver for you!
As to hardware "backward compatable",as you are aware,Microsoft does not
write hardware drivers,there were thousands of beta testers who filed
thousands of "bugs" ,a large number of those bugs were hardware related,ie.
sound,printers,scanners,modems.etc.
My suggestion for anyone considering the upgrade to Vista,is to check what
your PC has in the way of sound,dvd burners,printers,etc,then go to the
manufacturers web site and see if drivers are available for Vista before you
upgrade.
Regards

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBDYWw=?=

RE: Scanner driver
I think we have to live with the fact that some, and older Scanners will
never get a Vista Driver.
I have an HP 2200c, runs very well but HP has decided there will be no
updates for it. So will have to replace it...D

"Rex" wrote:

> I got a Plustek OpticPro S28 scanner. Vista seems to have problem to work
> with this driver; it does not allow driver program installation. I check the
> manufacturer's site where there is no updated driver for Vista available.
> What should I do? I cannot use the scanner after installing Vista. Pls help

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Scanner driver
Unless like many of us you really are yearning for a reason to upgrade
your scanner, do see if you can get it working with the TWAIN
connection.

I'm running my ancient HP SJ5P scsi scanner with an Adaptec 19160 scsi
controller using the earlier Deskscan 2.9 software that uses TWAIN.

You can download Deskscan 2.9 from the HP website -- do a search for
that name; it's a file like SJ166 ......

As I say it is working fine on my VISTA, as it did with XP and W2K
before that and including the copy utility that is first class.

Good luck.

PS I don't know if this is necessary but the first time, back in W2K, I
disabled Windows Image Acquizition in Services (you can get there
through msconfig), installed the software and then re-enabaled the WIA
in case anything else needed it.

Note that you may not be able to Fax/Scan using the Control Panel / Fax
& Scan service since that uses WIA.