Printer Error in Windows Vista

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgUg==?=

Printer Error in Windows Vista
After I have upgraded from Windows XP Home SP2 to Vista Home Premium on the
weekend, I encountered a error. Whenever I load the computer, a error occurs
stating 'Spooler SubSystem App Error' followed by searching for a solution
then asking me to close it. It happens around 3 times during startup then
usually doesn't show itself again until I log back on again. I have also
noticed that I cannot print at all. The last time I knew, I had one printer
(an EPSON Stylus C45) installed on XP, that has obviously been removed during
the upgrade. So I went to EPSON's tech support website and they said for
Vista you just simply use Windows' Printer driver included in the Vista
upgrade. I then went to install a printer in the 'Printers' folder and
another error occurs stating "Windows cannot open Add Printer. The local
print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart
your computer." What is frustrating me is that after around 4 restarts, the
same error happens when trying to add a printer. I am getting sick and tired
of the amount of errors that are occuring and the time and money I am having
to spend just to upgrade programs, printers, etc. for the new operating
system! Could someone please help me out with this error? It would be much
appreciated. Thank you, James.
Bruce Sanderson

Re: Printer Error in Windows Vista
Most likely the "old" driver was not "cleaned up" by the "upgrade".

See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm. This was
written for XP, but some of the same concepts apply to Vista.

I suggest disconnecting any USB printer before proceeding.

I'm not sure at this point if the cleanspl.exe from the Windows Server 2003
Resource Kit works correctly or not in Vista (I suspect not). I suggest you
avoid using cleanspl.exe; do steps 6 through 9, but don't delete "Microsoft
Shared Fax Driver" or "Microsoft XPS Document Writer".

If the spooler service doesn't fail, in Printers, File, Server Properties,
Drivers, "remove" any drivers, restart the computer, then re-install the
Epson Sytlus C45 (not familiar with this particular printer, but if it is a
USB printer, it might get automatically installed if you merely reconnect it
and power it on).

At this point, I suggest NOT doing steps 10 through 14 becuase there are
quite a few files that are put there when Vista is installed and you don't
want to loose them.

When time and opportunity permits, I'll provide a Vista version of this
page.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/

"James R" <James R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I have upgraded from Windows XP Home SP2 to Vista Home Premium on
> the
> weekend, I encountered a error. Whenever I load the computer, a error
> occurs
> stating 'Spooler SubSystem App Error' followed by searching for a solution
> then asking me to close it. It happens around 3 times during startup then
> usually doesn't show itself again until I log back on again. I have also
> noticed that I cannot print at all. The last time I knew, I had one
> printer
> (an EPSON Stylus C45) installed on XP, that has obviously been removed
> during
> the upgrade. So I went to EPSON's tech support website and they said for
> Vista you just simply use Windows' Printer driver included in the Vista
> upgrade. I then went to install a printer in the 'Printers' folder and
> another error occurs stating "Windows cannot open Add Printer. The local
> print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or
> restart
> your computer." What is frustrating me is that after around 4 restarts,
> the
> same error happens when trying to add a printer. I am getting sick and
> tired
> of the amount of errors that are occuring and the time and money I am
> having
> to spend just to upgrade programs, printers, etc. for the new operating
> system! Could someone please help me out with this error? It would be much
> appreciated. Thank you, James.

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgUg==?=

Re: Printer Error in Windows Vista
Many thanks for that, but since I have requested for help, I have just done a
'clean' install over the 'upgrade' and everything is working alright.

------
James R