cannot set up fax account

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVsdGFfSg==?=

cannot set up fax account
I've attempted to set up a new fax account from the Windows Fax and Scanner
menu in (legitimately paid for) 32-bit Vista Ultimate. After I click on
"Connect to a fax modem" and enter some random name for my modem, I get the
error:

Account wizard error.
An error occurred. Please try the operation later or contact your
administrator.

Since mine's the only administrator account on the computer, what could be
the problem? I've performed a clean install of Vista and made sure to install
the latest version of my modem's driver. I've tried uninstalling the Windows
Fax and Scan component and reinstalling it back, nothing has helped.

I also know that my modem is capable of sending faxes because I've been able
to send dozens of them in Windows XP Pro.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Delta_J

2.4GHz P4
1GB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
PCTEL 2304WT V.92 modem
Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]

Re: cannot set up fax account
>I also know that my modem is capable of sending faxes because I've been
>able
>to send dozens of them in Windows XP Pro.

Could you also verify that the drivers were properly installed for your
modem after you installed Vista?

--
Regards,
Yuriy

"delta_J" <deltaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've attempted to set up a new fax account from the Windows Fax and
> Scanner
> menu in (legitimately paid for) 32-bit Vista Ultimate. After I click on
> "Connect to a fax modem" and enter some random name for my modem, I get
> the
> error:
>
> Account wizard error.
> An error occurred. Please try the operation later or contact your
> administrator.
>
> Since mine's the only administrator account on the computer, what could be
> the problem? I've performed a clean install of Vista and made sure to
> install
> the latest version of my modem's driver. I've tried uninstalling the
> Windows
> Fax and Scan component and reinstalling it back, nothing has helped.
>
> I also know that my modem is capable of sending faxes because I've been
> able
> to send dozens of them in Windows XP Pro.
>
> I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
> Delta_J
>
> 2.4GHz P4
> 1GB RAM
> 40GB Hard Drive
> PCTEL 2304WT V.92 modem

deltaJ0@gmail.com

Re: cannot set up fax account
On Feb 4, 6:31 pm, "Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]"
<yur...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >I also know that my modem is capable of sending faxes because I've been
> >able
> >to send dozens of them in Windows XP Pro.

> Could you also verify that the drivers were properly installed for your
> modem after you installed Vista?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Yuriy
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."delta_J" <del...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > I've attempted to set up a new fax account from the Windows Fax and
> > Scanner
> > menu in (legitimately paid for) 32-bit Vista Ultimate. After I click on
> > "Connect to a fax modem" and enter some random name for my modem, I get
> > the
> > error:

> > Account wizard error.
> > An error occurred. Please try the operation later or contact your
> > administrator.

> > Since mine's the only administrator account on the computer, what could be
> > the problem? I've performed a clean install of Vista and made sure to
> > install
> > the latest version of my modem's driver. I've tried uninstalling the
> > Windows
> > Fax and Scan component and reinstalling it back, nothing has helped.

> > I also know that my modem is capable of sending faxes because I've been
> > able
> > to send dozens of them in Windows XP Pro.

> > I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

> > Cheers,
> > Delta_J

> > 2.4GHz P4
> > 1GB RAM
> > 40GB Hard Drive
> > PCTEL 2304WT V.92 modem- Hide quoted text -

To verify a proper driver installation, I checked the device manager.
Sure enough, my brand and model of model is listed and Windows does
not try to find the driver whenever I reboot. To make sure of my
modem's dialing capabilities with the WinXP driver in Vista, I tried
dialing up to my parent's house. Oddly enough, they picked up!

Anyway, the point is my modem is capable of placing calls and I know
that we do not have a digital phone line at this house, as I'm aware
that only analog lines can be used to send faxes as per what it says
in Windows Help and Support.

Delta_J

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: cannot set up fax account
Has the modem manufacturer created a driver for Vista? Your assumption that
because it worked in XP it will work in Vista is not valid.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
<deltaJ0@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170632981.777729.260280@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
> On Feb 4, 6:31 pm, "Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]"
> <yur...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >I also know that my modem is capable of sending faxes because I've been
>> >able
>> >to send dozens of them in Windows XP Pro.

>> Could you also verify that the drivers were properly installed for your
>> modem after you installed Vista?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Yuriy

>> rights."delta_J" <del...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > I've attempted to set up a new fax account from the Windows Fax and
>> > Scanner
>> > menu in (legitimately paid for) 32-bit Vista Ultimate. After I click on
>> > "Connect to a fax modem" and enter some random name for my modem, I get
>> > the
>> > error:

>> > Account wizard error.
>> > An error occurred. Please try the operation later or contact your
>> > administrator.

>> > Since mine's the only administrator account on the computer, what could
>> > be
>> > the problem? I've performed a clean install of Vista and made sure to
>> > install
>> > the latest version of my modem's driver. I've tried uninstalling the
>> > Windows
>> > Fax and Scan component and reinstalling it back, nothing has helped.

>> > I also know that my modem is capable of sending faxes because I've been
>> > able
>> > to send dozens of them in Windows XP Pro.

>> > I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

>> > Cheers,
>> > Delta_J

>> > 2.4GHz P4
>> > 1GB RAM
>> > 40GB Hard Drive
>> > PCTEL 2304WT V.92 modem- Hide quoted text -

> To verify a proper driver installation, I checked the device manager.
> Sure enough, my brand and model of model is listed and Windows does
> not try to find the driver whenever I reboot. To make sure of my
> modem's dialing capabilities with the WinXP driver in Vista, I tried
> dialing up to my parent's house. Oddly enough, they picked up!
>
> Anyway, the point is my modem is capable of placing calls and I know
> that we do not have a digital phone line at this house, as I'm aware
> that only analog lines can be used to send faxes as per what it says
> in Windows Help and Support.
>
> Delta_J

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVsdGFfSg==?=

Re: cannot set up fax account
Russ,
Yes I am aware of the fact that XP drivers may not be fully functional in
Vista. Please do not assume that I have not considered a shortcoming as
simple as that in trying to find a solution. Perhaps it was wishful thinking
for expecting that driver to work in Vista as intended, despite Vista's
successful recognition of my modem.

I have a feeling the manufacturer won't care to release a Vista version of
the driver since my computer isn't exactly new. Having explored this issue
further, I have become aware that Vista does not support TWAIN drivers.
Whatever that means, might there possibly a technical workaround to this? Or
perhaps another modem brand whose driver could be substituted for that of the
PCTEL one?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Has the modem manufacturer created a driver for Vista? Your assumption that
> because it worked in XP it will work in Vista is not valid.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> <deltaJ0@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1170632981.777729.260280@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
> >>
> >> Could you also verify that the drivers were properly installed for your
> >> modem after you installed Vista?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Yuriy

> >> rights."delta_J" <del...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > To verify a proper driver installation, I checked the device manager.
> > Sure enough, my brand and model of model is listed and Windows does
> > not try to find the driver whenever I reboot. To make sure of my
> > modem's dialing capabilities with the WinXP driver in Vista, I tried
> > dialing up to my parent's house. Oddly enough, they picked up!
> >
> > Anyway, the point is my modem is capable of placing calls and I know
> > that we do not have a digital phone line at this house, as I'm aware
> > that only analog lines can be used to send faxes as per what it says
> > in Windows Help and Support.
> >
> > Delta_J

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: cannot set up fax account
None that I know of. I had to buy a new modem before Vista Fax would work. I
was not surprised.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"delta_J" <deltaJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD55BAB0-6379-4478-BB69-F2BB3B85C368@microsoft.com...
> Russ,
> Yes I am aware of the fact that XP drivers may not be fully functional in
> Vista. Please do not assume that I have not considered a shortcoming as
> simple as that in trying to find a solution. Perhaps it was wishful
> thinking
> for expecting that driver to work in Vista as intended, despite Vista's
> successful recognition of my modem.
>
> I have a feeling the manufacturer won't care to release a Vista version of
> the driver since my computer isn't exactly new. Having explored this issue
> further, I have become aware that Vista does not support TWAIN drivers.
> Whatever that means, might there possibly a technical workaround to this?
> Or
> perhaps another modem brand whose driver could be substituted for that of
> the
> PCTEL one?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Has the modem manufacturer created a driver for Vista? Your assumption
>> that
>> because it worked in XP it will work in Vista is not valid.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> <deltaJ0@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1170632981.777729.260280@v33g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...

>> > To verify a proper driver installation, I checked the device manager.
>> > Sure enough, my brand and model of model is listed and Windows does
>> > not try to find the driver whenever I reboot. To make sure of my
>> > modem's dialing capabilities with the WinXP driver in Vista, I tried
>> > dialing up to my parent's house. Oddly enough, they picked up!
>> >
>> > Anyway, the point is my modem is capable of placing calls and I know
>> > that we do not have a digital phone line at this house, as I'm aware
>> > that only analog lines can be used to send faxes as per what it says
>> > in Windows Help and Support.
>> >
>> > Delta_J

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaE1j?=

RE: cannot set up fax account
Scan & fax is PANTS! try snappy fax Vista version for trial at
http://www.snappysoftware.com/downlo...a/sf4setup.exe
It's the only one that worked for me.........KILL BILL
RichMc