How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder

Daniel L. Lieberman

How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
The Windows "Fax and Scan" program appears to operate only when the current
user Documents folder is in a particular location. How can that be
reconfigured?
TIA.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
Explain why you think so. You can easily change the location of Fax and
Scan's data folder in Tools > Fax Settings... > Advanced Tab.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The Windows "Fax and Scan" program appears to operate only when the
> current user Documents folder is in a particular location. How can that be
> reconfigured?
> TIA.

Daniel L. Lieberman

Re: How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
Russ,

Where is this "Tools"? The one under Fax and Scan has three choices and the
"Options" choice is greyed.

TIA

> Explain why you think so. You can easily change the location of Fax and
> Scan's data folder in Tools > Fax Settings... > Advanced Tab.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The Windows "Fax and Scan" program appears to operate only when the
>> current user Documents folder is in a particular location. How can that
>> be reconfigured?
>> TIA.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
On the Menu Bar. It has 8 choices, all active.
--
> Russ,
>
> Where is this "Tools"? The one under Fax and Scan has three choices and
> the "Options" choice is greyed.
>
> TIA
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Explain why you think so. You can easily change the location of Fax and
>> Scan's data folder in Tools > Fax Settings... > Advanced Tab.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The Windows "Fax and Scan" program appears to operate only when the
>>> current user Documents folder is in a particular location. How can that
>>> be reconfigured?
>>> TIA.

Daniel L. Lieberman

Re: How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
Russ,

You are right. It is on the Menu bar if you click "Fax" otherwise it is
greyed.

My real problem therefore is at a higher level. If you select E:/Fax for
example it will save there. BUT if you select "Documents" and go to
"Location" and move the Documents to E:/ then Fax and Scan won't work.

I have added a shortcut to E:/ so it is only one extra click.

I do this all because it is easier for me to copy as backup an entire
virtual drive rather than to select folders in different places.

Thanks for your help. Maybe in the Service Pack they will fix this.

Daniel

> On the Menu Bar. It has 8 choices, all active.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Russ,
>>
>> Where is this "Tools"? The one under Fax and Scan has three choices and
>> the "Options" choice is greyed.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Explain why you think so. You can easily change the location of Fax and
>>> Scan's data folder in Tools > Fax Settings... > Advanced Tab.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
If you can clarify the exact steps to reproduce the problem, I'll send in
the suggestion. I can't tell for sure what you did and are trying to do. Did
you move the default Inbox in Windows Explorer instead of the fax
application?
--
> Russ,
>
> You are right. It is on the Menu bar if you click "Fax" otherwise it is
> greyed.
>
> My real problem therefore is at a higher level. If you select E:/Fax for
> example it will save there. BUT if you select "Documents" and go to
> "Location" and move the Documents to E:/ then Fax and Scan won't work.
>
> I have added a shortcut to E:/ so it is only one extra click.
>
> I do this all because it is easier for me to copy as backup an entire
> virtual drive rather than to select folders in different places.
>
> Thanks for your help. Maybe in the Service Pack they will fix this.
>
> Daniel
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On the Menu Bar. It has 8 choices, all active.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Russ,
>>>
>>> Where is this "Tools"? The one under Fax and Scan has three choices and
>>> the "Options" choice is greyed.
>>>
>>> TIA

Daniel L. Lieberman

Re: How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
Russ,
Here is the procedure.
1) Click on Start.
2) Click on Compaq Administrator (Me as user)
3) Right Click on Documents
4) Click on Properties
5) Click on the Location Tab
6) Click on Move
7) Browse to E:\ (The Drive I use for Documents) and select it as the
folder
8) Finished. Try Fax and Scan get the unable to access Documents.

I appreciate your help.

Daniel

Ummm,
Compaq Administrator?
What's that?
You sure this is a Microsoft issue?

--
> Russ,
> Here is the procedure.
> 1) Click on Start.
> 2) Click on Compaq Administrator (Me as user)
> 3) Right Click on Documents
> 4) Click on Properties
> 5) Click on the Location Tab
> 6) Click on Move
> 7) Browse to E:\ (The Drive I use for Documents) and select it as the
> folder
> 8) Finished. Try Fax and Scan get the unable to access Documents.
>
> I appreciate your help.
>
> Daniel
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you can clarify the exact steps to reproduce the problem, I'll send in
>> the suggestion. I can't tell for sure what you did and are trying to do.
>> Did you move the default Inbox in Windows Explorer instead of the fax
>> application?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Russ,
>>>
>>> You are right. It is on the Menu bar if you click "Fax" otherwise it is
>>> greyed.
>>>
>>> My real problem therefore is at a higher level. If you select E:/Fax for
>>> example it will save there. BUT if you select "Documents" and go to
>>> "Location" and move the Documents to E:/ then Fax and Scan won't work.
>>>
>>> I have added a shortcut to E:/ so it is only one extra click.
>>>
>>> I do this all because it is easier for me to copy as backup an entire
>>> virtual drive rather than to select folders in different places.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help. Maybe in the Service Pack they will fix this.
>>>
>>> Daniel

Daniel L. Lieberman

Re: How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
Compaq Administrator is my User Account.

> Ummm,
> Compaq Administrator?
> What's that?
> You sure this is a Microsoft issue?
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Russ,
>> Here is the procedure.
>> 1) Click on Start.
>> 2) Click on Compaq Administrator (Me as user)
>> 3) Right Click on Documents
>> 4) Click on Properties
>> 5) Click on the Location Tab
>> 6) Click on Move
>> 7) Browse to E:\ (The Drive I use for Documents) and select it as the
>> folder
>> 8) Finished. Try Fax and Scan get the unable to access Documents.
>>
>> I appreciate your help.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> If you can clarify the exact steps to reproduce the problem, I'll send
>>> in the suggestion. I can't tell for sure what you did and are trying to
>>> do. Did you move the default Inbox in Windows Explorer instead of the
>>> fax application?
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: How does one change the "Windows Fax and Scan" to use a different folder
Then you aren't running as an administrator. What happens if you elevate?