Fax Setup Error

=?Utf-8?B?V3lhdHQ=?=

Fax Setup Error
When I am trying to setup a fax account in Fax and Scan, I receive an error
on the "Choose a modem name" step. As soon as I click the Next button I
receive the error:
Account Wizard Error
An error occurred. Please try the operation later or contact your
administrator.

I have a Dell Latitude D600, running Windows Vista Ultimate, and a Conexant
D480 MDC V.92 Modem. The modem was able to send and receive faxes in Windows
XP Pro. My login has administrator privledges.

Does anyone know how to resolve this very vague error?
Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]

Re: Fax Setup Error
Could you try peform this operation from "elevated"? When you start Fax and
Scan from the start menu, right click it, and select "Run as Administrator"
menu option

--
Regards,
Yuriy

"Wyatt" <Wyatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news748100C-55B2-42AA-9903-1E996B6D0FE7@microsoft.com...
> When I am trying to setup a fax account in Fax and Scan, I receive an
> error
> on the "Choose a modem name" step. As soon as I click the Next button I
> receive the error:
> Account Wizard Error
> An error occurred. Please try the operation later or contact your
> administrator.
>
> I have a Dell Latitude D600, running Windows Vista Ultimate, and a
> Conexant
> D480 MDC V.92 Modem. The modem was able to send and receive faxes in
> Windows
> XP Pro. My login has administrator privledges.
>
> Does anyone know how to resolve this very vague error?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGVsdGFfSg==?=

Re: Fax Setup Error
Yuriy,

In my case with this problem, I have been able to verify the successful
installation of my modem driver. However, I just tried to perform this
operation "As Administrator" and I get the same result.

Since I for one did a clean install of Vista Ultimate, there obviously
cannot be any conflicts with Microsoft Fax from WinXP.

Too bad WFS isn't working, it sure looks like a more efficient tool than MS
Fax.

Delta_J

"Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]" wrote:

> Could you try peform this operation from "elevated"? When you start Fax and
> Scan from the start menu, right click it, and select "Run as Administrator"
> menu option
>
> --
> Regards,
> Yuriy

> "Wyatt" <Wyatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news748100C-55B2-42AA-9903-1E996B6D0FE7@microsoft.com...
> > When I am trying to setup a fax account in Fax and Scan, I receive an
> > error
> > on the "Choose a modem name" step. As soon as I click the Next button I
> > receive the error:
> > Account Wizard Error
> > An error occurred. Please try the operation later or contact your
> > administrator.
> >
> > I have a Dell Latitude D600, running Windows Vista Ultimate, and a
> > Conexant
> > D480 MDC V.92 Modem. The modem was able to send and receive faxes in
> > Windows
> > XP Pro. My login has administrator privledges.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to resolve this very vague error?

=?Utf-8?B?V3lhdHQ=?=

Re: Fax Setup Error
I have tried elevating the application without success. I have also tried
multiple different users on the machine (that I created just to try WFS),
also without success.

My installation of Vista Ultimate was also a clean install.

On Feb 4, 10:32 pm, Wyatt <W...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have tried elevating the application without success. I have also tried
> multiple different users on the machine (that I created just to try WFS),
> also without success.
>
> My installation of Vista Ultimate was also a clean install."delta_J" wrote:
> > Yuriy,

> > In my case with this problem, I have been able to verify the successful
> > installation of my modem driver. However, I just tried to perform this
> > operation "As Administrator" and I get the same result.

> > Since I for one did a clean install of Vista Ultimate, there obviously
> > cannot be any conflicts with Microsoft Fax from WinXP.

> > Too bad WFS isn't working, it sure looks like a more efficient tool than MS
> > Fax.

> > Delta_J

> > "Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]" wrote:

> > > Could you try peform this operation from "elevated"? When you start Fax and
> > > Scan from the start menu, right click it, and select "Run as Administrator"
> > > menu option

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Yuriy

> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> > > "Wyatt" <W...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >news748100C-55B2-42AA-9903-1E996B6D0FE7@microsoft.com...

Maybe both our modems' drivers were programmed with TWAIN technology?
Not sure what that is but it apparently says in Help and Support that
Vista does not support TWAIN drivers. Out of curiosity, I tried
scanning something in using WFS and I received an error message about
my scanner also. Luckily its own utility is Vista-compatible and works
flawlessly.

Is there a technical work-around for the TWAIN driver exclusion or
could a non-TWAIN driver for another similar modem model work for my
PCTEL 2304WT MDC V.92?

Cheers,
Delta_J