Epson Scanners

=?Utf-8?B?c2Nvb2J5?=

Epson Scanners
If you haven't noticed Epson have now released some drivers for scanners.
=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Epson Scanners
I have noticed. I have also noticed that HP hasn't released drivers for their
scanners. And, on all HP scanners I've checked, they've actually put up a
notice that they don't have any intention of providing Vista-compatible
drivers. But they are releasing updated drivers for lots and lots of HP
printers. Hmmm. I wonder why? Couldn't be because they like to sell printer
supplies, could it?

Sorry. I shouldn't gripe in your thread. Epson owners rejoice! I'm gonna go
buy one right now. (grumble, grumble)

"scooby" wrote:

> If you haven't noticed Epson have now released some drivers for scanners.

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Epson Scanners
In article <0F5FECDA-9D3F-459E-97D1-568218821E0B@microsoft.com>, Jimmuh
wrote:
> And, on all HP scanners I've checked, they've actually put up a*
> notice that they don't have any intention of providing Vista-compatible*
> drivers.

Keep checking!

This is what they say for one I've just checked:

<< Release Date: 2007-01-24 Version: 1.0

Description

This driver makes it possible to use the basic functions of the scanner
and can be used until the full solution is available. The full feature
driver will be available for your HP scanner as soon as possible.

This is the minimum driver required for basic WIA functionality. This
driver enables scanning with the Windows Photo Gallery on Windows Vista or
the Scanner and Camera Wizard on Windows XP. Scanning can also be done
with a variety of 3rd party scanner enabled applications.

Operating system(s): Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista
(64-bit)

Download file size: 2.76M

System Requirements

Recommended: Uninstall any previous software/driver for your scanner. >>

And for other devices I have seen them say, in January that they hope to
release drivers in February, which is now .....

And my very old Scanjet 5P is running under VISTA using TWIN -- VISTA
seems very tolerant.

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

Re: Epson Scanners
That's very nice to know. I'm watching and waiting. It was really off-putting
to see that earlier message that said there would be no driver. I'll hold on
and see.

Thanks.

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" wrote:

> In article <0F5FECDA-9D3F-459E-97D1-568218821E0B@microsoft.com>, Jimmuh
> wrote:
> > And, on all HP scanners I've checked, they've actually put up a
> > notice that they don't have any intention of providing Vista-compatible
> > drivers.

> Keep checking!
>
> This is what they say for one I've just checked:
>
> << Release Date: 2007-01-24 Version: 1.0
>
> Description
>
> This driver makes it possible to use the basic functions of the scanner
> and can be used until the full solution is available. The full feature
> driver will be available for your HP scanner as soon as possible.
>
> This is the minimum driver required for basic WIA functionality. This
> driver enables scanning with the Windows Photo Gallery on Windows Vista or
> the Scanner and Camera Wizard on Windows XP. Scanning can also be done
> with a variety of 3rd party scanner enabled applications.
>
> Operating system(s): Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows Vista
> (64-bit)
>
> Download file size: 2.76M
>
> System Requirements
>
> Recommended: Uninstall any previous software/driver for your scanner. >>
>
> And for other devices I have seen them say, in January that they hope to
> release drivers in February, which is now .....
>
> And my very old Scanjet 5P is running under VISTA using TWIN -- VISTA
> seems very tolerant.

Bill Thomas

Re: Epson Scanners
try running the xp driver in comatibility mode for win xp (run as
administrator) It worked for me on an epson 1650 photo scanner. Twain
drivers, not the epson scanner software. Works great in photoshop!
=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

Re: Epson Scanners
Thanks for the suggestion. That's one of many things I tried. The closest I
came to getting any functionality at all was simply to install IrfanView and
drag an image off of the scanner, but all I could get was black & white, not
even shades of gray. And lousy resolution. I'm going to wait for HP to put
out a driver, or just buy a recent Epson.

"Bill Thomas" wrote:

> try running the xp driver in comatibility mode for win xp (run as
> administrator) It worked for me on an epson 1650 photo scanner. Twain
> drivers, not the epson scanner software. Works great in photoshop!

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxvdHRl?=

Re: Epson Scanners
New to this site - but I was just searching around - and VueScan by Hamrick
SOftware supports scanners on Vista - it was recommended to me.
--
Charlotte

"jimmuh" wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. That's one of many things I tried. The closest I
> came to getting any functionality at all was simply to install IrfanView and
> drag an image off of the scanner, but all I could get was black & white, not
> even shades of gray. And lousy resolution. I'm going to wait for HP to put
> out a driver, or just buy a recent Epson.
>
> "Bill Thomas" wrote:
>
> > try running the xp driver in comatibility mode for win xp (run as
> > administrator) It worked for me on an epson 1650 photo scanner. Twain
> > drivers, not the epson scanner software. Works great in photoshop!

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

Re: Epson Scanners
Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, VueScan is excellent software.
Unfortunately it doesn't support the HP ScanJet 4670. But folks who have
as-yet-unsupported-in-Vista scanners should check the VueScan compatibility
list to see if it provides coverage for them.

HP has changed their tune about the ScanJet 4670 (and other scanners)
several times. For the time being they have a message posted on the drivers &
software downloads support site which states that they will be making Vista
drivers available by mid-March. We'll see. If they don't come through I'll be
buying an Epson -- one that's supported by VueScan.