Can anyone explain Point and Print and Vista?

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHkgV29vZA==?=

Can anyone explain Point and Print and Vista?
I'm working with several Vista Ultimate systems to test just how they react
when connecting to printers on a Windows 2003 R2 server. We have many HP
Laserjets, Xerox WorkCenter Pro's among others. Some times the printers
connect and install without issue, other times we get errors until we play
with the driver on the server, they we can connect.

I've read a bit about Point and Print and it appears that the process should
be that when a client (XP, 2003 , Vista) connects to a print server, the
driver date stamp / version is compared to see what driver should be used. I
can't seem to find the scope of this comparison, that is, is it first looking
for the driver "name" or some other parameters? Do the driver names need to
match in the first place before the timestamp comparison begins?

I'd sure like to know a bit more of the process before unleashing Vista on
the hordes.
--
Sandy Wood
Orange County District Attorney
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can anyone explain Point and Print and Vista?
Yes Sandy, the driver name must match in order for the inbox equivalent
Vista driver to be installed on the local system. If the driver does not
exist on Vista, the driver will be downloaded from the server. If the
driver name is the same, but the files are different, then the driver will
be loaded from the server.

There is a new twist to the Point and Print Restriction policy on Vista
(default policy setting is full security). If you have been experimenting
you have also seen the Install Driver prompt and the Admin elevation prompt.

Now back to the HPs and Xerox printers. Xerox first, the WorkCentre Pro
drivers update a dyc file that can cause the client to require an updated
version of the file. The file is some place holder file. This file exists
on their Win2k3 drivers as well as the Vista inbox drivers.

Some HP devices contain a cfg file. I have seen this file get installed on
a machine with a 1990 date stamp. Other times it's got the correct date.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm working with several Vista Ultimate systems to test just how they
> react
> when connecting to printers on a Windows 2003 R2 server. We have many HP
> Laserjets, Xerox WorkCenter Pro's among others. Some times the printers
> connect and install without issue, other times we get errors until we play
> with the driver on the server, they we can connect.
>
> I've read a bit about Point and Print and it appears that the process
> should
> be that when a client (XP, 2003 , Vista) connects to a print server, the
> driver date stamp / version is compared to see what driver should be used.
> can't seem to find the scope of this comparison, that is, is it first
> looking
> for the driver "name" or some other parameters? Do the driver names need
> match in the first place before the timestamp comparison begins?
>
> I'd sure like to know a bit more of the process before unleashing Vista on
> the hordes.
> --
> Sandy Wood
> Orange County District Attorney

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHkgV29vZA==?=

Re: Can anyone explain Point and Print and Vista?
Alan,

Thanks for the clarification. This will help in planning the printing for
our Vista clients. Regarding the Xerox, dyc file point you made, will we need
to do anything other than obtaining the latest Win2k3 driver from Xerox to
allow our Vista clients a smooth ride?
--

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Yes Sandy, the driver name must match in order for the inbox equivalent
> Vista driver to be installed on the local system. If the driver does not
> exist on Vista, the driver will be downloaded from the server. If the
> driver name is the same, but the files are different, then the driver will
> be loaded from the server.
>
> There is a new twist to the Point and Print Restriction policy on Vista
> (default policy setting is full security). If you have been experimenting
> you have also seen the Install Driver prompt and the Admin elevation prompt.
>
> Now back to the HPs and Xerox printers. Xerox first, the WorkCentre Pro
> drivers update a dyc file that can cause the client to require an updated
> version of the file. The file is some place holder file. This file exists
> on their Win2k3 drivers as well as the Vista inbox drivers.
>
> Some HP devices contain a cfg file. I have seen this file get installed on
> a machine with a 1990 date stamp. Other times it's got the correct date.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I'm working with several Vista Ultimate systems to test just how they
> > react
> > when connecting to printers on a Windows 2003 R2 server. We have many HP
> > Laserjets, Xerox WorkCenter Pro's among others. Some times the printers
> > connect and install without issue, other times we get errors until we play
> > with the driver on the server, they we can connect.
> >
> > I've read a bit about Point and Print and it appears that the process
> > should
> > be that when a client (XP, 2003 , Vista) connects to a print server, the
> > driver date stamp / version is compared to see what driver should be used.
> > can't seem to find the scope of this comparison, that is, is it first
> > looking
> > for the driver "name" or some other parameters? Do the driver names need
> > match in the first place before the timestamp comparison begins?
> >
> > I'd sure like to know a bit more of the process before unleashing Vista on
> > the hordes.
> > --
> > Sandy Wood
> > Orange County District Attorney

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can anyone explain Point and Print and Vista?
I'll ping Xerox. I am not sure how they plan to address this since the file
does get updated with configuration information and a driver update is
required on the client at that time.

How do you have you Point and Print Restrictions policy defined?

--

news22D871C-434A-4D81-B243-E989BA57F023@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > should
>> > be that when a client (XP, 2003 , Vista) connects to a print server,
>> > the
>> > driver date stamp / version is compared to see what driver should be
>> > used.
>> > can't seem to find the scope of this comparison, that is, is it first
>> > looking
>> > for the driver "name" or some other parameters? Do the driver names
>> > need
>> > match in the first place before the timestamp comparison begins?
>> >
>> > I'd sure like to know a bit more of the process before unleashing Vista
>> > on
>> > the hordes.
>> > --
>> > Sandy Wood
>> > Orange County District Attorney

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHkgV29vZA==?=

Re: Can anyone explain Point and Print and Vista?

We have not configured our Point and Print GPO. It's the default settings
right now. We've got a Windows 2003 R2 Domain and the only Vista machines are
our IT group machines so far.

One more question while I have your ear. I've got a handful of 64-bit Vista
clients. I'm assuming I should probably get out the Windows 2003 R2 CD and
install some 64-bit drivers to our print server. Would that take care of my
64-bit clients?
--

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> I'll ping Xerox. I am not sure how they plan to address this since the file
> does get updated with configuration information and a driver update is
> required on the client at that time.
>
> How do you have you Point and Print Restrictions policy defined?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news22D871C-434A-4D81-B243-E989BA57F023@microsoft.com...
> > Alan,
> >
> > Thanks for the clarification. This will help in planning the printing for
> > our Vista clients. Regarding the Xerox, dyc file point you made, will we
> > need
> > to do anything other than obtaining the latest Win2k3 driver from Xerox to
> > allow our Vista clients a smooth ride?
> > --
> > Sandy Wood
> > Orange County District Attorney
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes Sandy, the driver name must match in order for the inbox equivalent
> >> Vista driver to be installed on the local system. If the driver does not
> >> exist on Vista, the driver will be downloaded from the server. If the
> >> driver name is the same, but the files are different, then the driver
> >> will
> >> be loaded from the server.
> >>
> >> There is a new twist to the Point and Print Restriction policy on Vista
> >> (default policy setting is full security). If you have been
> >> experimenting
> >> you have also seen the Install Driver prompt and the Admin elevation
> >> prompt.
> >>
> >> Now back to the HPs and Xerox printers. Xerox first, the WorkCentre Pro
> >> drivers update a dyc file that can cause the client to require an updated
> >> version of the file. The file is some place holder file. This file
> >> exists
> >> on their Win2k3 drivers as well as the Vista inbox drivers.
> >>
> >> Some HP devices contain a cfg file. I have seen this file get installed
> >> on
> >> a machine with a 1990 date stamp. Other times it's got the correct date.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can anyone explain Point and Print and Vista?
Yes install the x64 drivers on the Windows 2003 print server. The x64
drivers are only on the x64 CD. If you have x64 Pro this CD has the same
x64 print drivers as Server.

The default Point and Print Restriction is enabled. Look at a Vista machine
for the new settings. One can set the authentication prompts or just make
it a warning.

The policy is under User, Administrative Templates, Control Panel,
Printers.