Save Image as PDF?

David A. Lessnau

Save Image as PDF?
I can't find a better forum to post this in, so my apologies if this doesn't
fit here. I've got Vista Ultimate along with Office Ultimate. If I'm
keeping things straight, Vista provides Windows Fax and Scan while Office
has Microsoft Office Document Scanning. Is there any way to set up either
of these programs to save their scans to a PDF file? I've got the PDF
add-in installed under Office, but that seems to just allow the core Office
programs to write to a PDF format. It doesn't add anything to the scanning
programs. As far as I can see, I can only save the scans in TIF, MDI, BMP,
JPG, and PNG formats.

Right now I'm using Acrobat Professional 7.0 to do my scanning. But, my
scanning needs are so minimal (basically scanning of my receipts for my
records and the occasional document), that I don't really want to spend the
money on an upgrade to Acrobat 8 (Adobe has stated right up front that they
have no intention of updating the 7.0 to be fully compatible with Vista).
Ditto for buying a full-fledged scanning program since those are more
suitable for bringing in formal documents with their layouts. I'd like to
stay with the PDF file format just so I feel more secure in always having
some kind of reader for the files.

Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]

Re: Save Image as PDF?
If it works with existing Acrobat 7, try to stick with it. Vista has a
pretty good support for existing apps on its own so it might very well work
fine for you without Adobe support.

If not, try to find a small program that scans to pdf - there are plenty of
these out there - just google it.

--
Regards,
Yuriy

"David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsB6D33AD-8067-4DC1-86F3-62B66B82001D@microsoft.com...
>I can't find a better forum to post this in, so my apologies if this
>doesn't fit here. I've got Vista Ultimate along with Office Ultimate. If
>I'm keeping things straight, Vista provides Windows Fax and Scan while
>Office has Microsoft Office Document Scanning. Is there any way to set up
>either of these programs to save their scans to a PDF file? I've got the
>PDF add-in installed under Office, but that seems to just allow the core
>Office programs to write to a PDF format. It doesn't add anything to the
>scanning programs. As far as I can see, I can only save the scans in TIF,
>MDI, BMP, JPG, and PNG formats.
>
> Right now I'm using Acrobat Professional 7.0 to do my scanning. But, my
> scanning needs are so minimal (basically scanning of my receipts for my
> records and the occasional document), that I don't really want to spend
> the money on an upgrade to Acrobat 8 (Adobe has stated right up front that
> they have no intention of updating the 7.0 to be fully compatible with
> Vista). Ditto for buying a full-fledged scanning program since those are
> more suitable for bringing in formal documents with their layouts. I'd
> like to stay with the PDF file format just so I feel more secure in always
> having some kind of reader for the files.

David A. Lessnau

Re: Save Image as PDF?
Prior to the Acrobat 7.0.9 update from 7.0.8, Acrobat Pro was working
tolerably under Vista. The only problem I had was some odd behavior with
saving files (it worked, it just behaved a bit weird). With 7.0.9, I now
can't get Acrobat to remember any of my application Preferences (even as
Administrator). I'd like to stay with Acrobat, but Adobe's come right out
and tossed their pre-8 stuff over the fence. I'll keep looking for an
alternative (as you said, Google is my friend). I'd seen many programs that
print to PDF. But, I haven't run across any that scan to PDF.

I'll also try to find some kind of suggestion program (probably on the
Office 2007 site): if they have an extension to save a document to PDF in
Office, they ought to be able save a scan to a PDF, too.

"Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]" <yuriys@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If it works with existing Acrobat 7, try to stick with it. Vista has a
> pretty good support for existing apps on its own so it might very well
> work fine for you without Adobe support.
>
> If not, try to find a small program that scans to pdf - there are plenty
> of these out there - just google it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Yuriy

> rights.
> "David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message newsB6D33AD-8067-4DC1-86F3-62B66B82001D@microsoft.com...
>>I can't find a better forum to post this in, so my apologies if this
>>doesn't fit here. I've got Vista Ultimate along with Office Ultimate. If
>>I'm keeping things straight, Vista provides Windows Fax and Scan while
>>Office has Microsoft Office Document Scanning. Is there any way to set up
>>either of these programs to save their scans to a PDF file? I've got the
>>PDF add-in installed under Office, but that seems to just allow the core
>>Office programs to write to a PDF format. It doesn't add anything to the
>>scanning programs. As far as I can see, I can only save the scans in TIF,
>>MDI, BMP, JPG, and PNG formats.
>>
>> Right now I'm using Acrobat Professional 7.0 to do my scanning. But, my
>> scanning needs are so minimal (basically scanning of my receipts for my
>> records and the occasional document), that I don't really want to spend
>> the money on an upgrade to Acrobat 8 (Adobe has stated right up front
>> that they have no intention of updating the 7.0 to be fully compatible
>> with Vista). Ditto for buying a full-fledged scanning program since those
>> are more suitable for bringing in formal documents with their layouts.
>> I'd like to stay with the PDF file format just so I feel more secure in
>> always having some kind of reader for the files.

Yuriy Shkolnikov [MSFT]

Re: Save Image as PDF?
also , check this out it might help too
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+delive...3-6114752.html

--
Regards,
Yuriy

"David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsB6D33AD-8067-4DC1-86F3-62B66B82001D@microsoft.com...
>I can't find a better forum to post this in, so my apologies if this
>doesn't fit here. I've got Vista Ultimate along with Office Ultimate. If
>I'm keeping things straight, Vista provides Windows Fax and Scan while
>Office has Microsoft Office Document Scanning. Is there any way to set up
>either of these programs to save their scans to a PDF file? I've got the
>PDF add-in installed under Office, but that seems to just allow the core
>Office programs to write to a PDF format. It doesn't add anything to the
>scanning programs. As far as I can see, I can only save the scans in TIF,
>MDI, BMP, JPG, and PNG formats.
>
> Right now I'm using Acrobat Professional 7.0 to do my scanning. But, my
> scanning needs are so minimal (basically scanning of my receipts for my
> records and the occasional document), that I don't really want to spend
> the money on an upgrade to Acrobat 8 (Adobe has stated right up front that
> they have no intention of updating the 7.0 to be fully compatible with
> Vista). Ditto for buying a full-fledged scanning program since those are
> more suitable for bringing in formal documents with their layouts. I'd
> like to stay with the PDF file format just so I feel more secure in always
> having some kind of reader for the files.

David A. Lessnau

Re: Save Image as PDF?
Yep. Got it. That was the add-in I mentioned in my earlier posts. It just
seems that since Office has this add-in, its scan software should be able to
use it, too.