Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Using a fax modem on WHS

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-22-2007
Nigel Molesworth
 

Posts: n/a
Using a fax modem on WHS
I thought I'd cracked this one. I've got Windows Home Server running, with a
fax modem. I can send a fax from the WHS PC, and the "printer" is shared and
can be seen by all the Vista HP clients.

Problem is, when I try to send a fax it asks if I want to install fax client
software, then says Windows cannot find SysOCMgr.exe.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
Is this a WHS group?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nigel Molesworth" <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> wrote in message
news:np1ck3h51koa046vgm1jdmksuk4bur04is@4ax.com...
>I thought I'd cracked this one. I've got Windows Home Server running, with
>a
> fax modem. I can send a fax from the WHS PC, and the "printer" is shared
> and
> can be seen by all the Vista HP clients.
>
> Problem is, when I try to send a fax it asks if I want to install fax
> client
> software, then says Windows cannot find SysOCMgr.exe.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2007
Nigel Molesworth
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:23:07 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is this a WHS group?


No, this is a Fax group, and it's the client PC that has the problem.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
WHS was developed and released long after WFS. Any information on how and
whether WFS can be configured as a client to WHS would be contained in WHS
documentation. We would have none of that information here. Let us know what
you find and how you like WHS.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nigel Molesworth" <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> wrote in message
news:6ntdk3le5dqap561u0sltdhm259425jde7@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:23:07 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Is this a WHS group?

>
> No, this is a Fax group, and it's the client PC that has the problem.
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-23-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
Moreover, we have no idea what you mean by "Vista HP clients." What are
those and what does it have to to with Vista's Windows Fax and Scan? Are you
running Vista Ultimate or Vista Business on the clients?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:64A12773-25E0-4963-9302-00C97F91358B@microsoft.com...
> Is this a WHS group?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Nigel Molesworth" <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> wrote in message
> news:np1ck3h51koa046vgm1jdmksuk4bur04is@4ax.com...
>>I thought I'd cracked this one. I've got Windows Home Server running, with
>>a
>> fax modem. I can send a fax from the WHS PC, and the "printer" is shared
>> and
>> can be seen by all the Vista HP clients.
>>
>> Problem is, when I try to send a fax it asks if I want to install fax
>> client
>> software, then says Windows cannot find SysOCMgr.exe.
>>
>>

>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2007
Nigel Molesworth
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:41:21 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:

>Moreover, we have no idea what you mean by "Vista HP clients."
>What are those ...


As I'm sure you know, they are PCs running Vista (Home Premium in this case)

>and what does it have to to with Vista's Windows Fax and Scan?


Err... I'm trying to use a networked Fax Printer.

It seems that even though the host/server can happily print to this printer,
the clients cannot. OK, so WHP does not come with fax capability, but that
is being provided by the server.

Can I get a reply from someone without a pole up his butt?


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
You don't understand. You are asking your questions in a Vista Fax group.
Everyone knows full well that Vista Home Premium has no fax software and
hence no client for a fax server. If, in fact, WHS happens to provide some
client fax software for you to install your client machines, that
information would be contained in their support documentation, not here. If
you want a different reply, post in the correct group.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nigel Molesworth" <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> wrote in message
news:9s5gk3993at51b6qnrgaku4th41mo3fnul@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:41:21 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Moreover, we have no idea what you mean by "Vista HP clients."
>>What are those ...

>
> As I'm sure you know, they are PCs running Vista (Home Premium in this
> case)
>
>>and what does it have to to with Vista's Windows Fax and Scan?

>
> Err... I'm trying to use a networked Fax Printer.
>
> It seems that even though the host/server can happily print to this
> printer,
> the clients cannot. OK, so WHP does not come with fax capability, but that
> is being provided by the server.
>
> Can I get a reply from someone without a pole up his butt?
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2007
Nigel Molesworth
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:46:36 -0500, "Butt Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:

>Vista Home Premium has no fax software and hence no client for a fax server.


But it's a printer. I can see it in Printers.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2007
huwyngr
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
In article <9s5gk3993at51b6qnrgaku4th41mo3fnul@4ax.com>, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

> mean by "Vista HP clients."
> >What are those ...

>
> As I'm sure you know, they are PCs running Vista (Home Premium in this case)


Just as an aside, using HP like that in a Printers and Faxing group is
potentially very misleading since it is the initials of a leading manufacturer
of Printers! Certainly it fooled me into thinking you were using HP brand PCs.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Using a fax modem on WHS
Any server based fax module still requires fax software on the client
machine to interact with it. When you read the directions for fax on Windows
Home Server, what does it tell you about how to configure your client
machines?
I have asked the developers whether there are any plans to make Windows Fax
and Scan a client for Windows Home Server, but I fail to see how that will
be relevant for many users since few client machines for Windows Home Server
will be running Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.
Keep the insults to yourself. They are uncalled for in a newsgroup.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Nigel Molesworth" <reply@thegroup.email.invalid> wrote in message
news:r3mgk39582tja0qf7020enibq7560hnn34@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:46:36 -0500, "Butt Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Vista Home Premium has no fax software and hence no client for a fax
>>server.

>
> But it's a printer. I can see it in Printers.
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MS Fax can't see my modem =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBNYXJ0aW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 02-13-2011 19:17
fax modem in Vista =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWs=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 12 03-11-2008 23:50
Any way to fax without a modem Brian Clegg microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 3 10-05-2007 09:32
USB fax modem and fax software for Vista Nigel Molesworth microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 0 05-31-2007 16:06
Data/Fax Modem for Vista 64? XS11E microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 05-09-2007 14:59




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:57.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120