Using HP LaserJet 1300 shared by Win2k3 32-bit from Vista 64-bit

David LeBlanc

Using HP LaserJet 1300 shared by Win2k3 32-bit from Vista 64-bit
I'm unable to map a share from my 64-bit Vista system to my Win2k3 server.
Tells me it doesn't have the right driver. Called HP, told them the system
was well out of warranty, they yanked me around, made me get the serial
number, told me it was out of warranty (which I'd JUST told them), and they
then offered to sell me another printer or charge me $40 for one call. I'm
not happy with their lack of support - last HP printer I'll ever buy.

So I then moved the printer to another Vista-64 system on my network,
installed it there (works fine), mapped the share from my 64-bit system, it
prints, all good. My thinking is that now that the printer driver is
installed, I ought to be able to move it back to the server where it belongs
and re-map the share. No joy - still tells me that the server has the wrong
drivers, though I obviously have the right ones locally now.

Seems like there should be some work-around for this... Maybe I should just
move it back to the Vista system.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Using HP LaserJet 1300 shared by Win2k3 32-bit from Vista 64-bit
The driver names must match exactly. If they do not match you can't make an
RPC connection.

Does HP have an x64 driver that matches the 32bit driver installed on the
server machine? You can install the x64 driver on 32bit for use by the x64
client when the names match.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"David LeBlanc" <David LeBlanc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm unable to map a share from my 64-bit Vista system to my Win2k3 server.
> Tells me it doesn't have the right driver. Called HP, told them the system
> was well out of warranty, they yanked me around, made me get the serial
> number, told me it was out of warranty (which I'd JUST told them), and
> they
> then offered to sell me another printer or charge me $40 for one call. I'm
> not happy with their lack of support - last HP printer I'll ever buy.
>
> So I then moved the printer to another Vista-64 system on my network,
> installed it there (works fine), mapped the share from my 64-bit system,
> it
> prints, all good. My thinking is that now that the printer driver is
> installed, I ought to be able to move it back to the server where it
> belongs
> and re-map the share. No joy - still tells me that the server has the
> wrong
> drivers, though I obviously have the right ones locally now.
>
> Seems like there should be some work-around for this... Maybe I should
> just
> move it back to the Vista system.

David LeBlanc

Re: Using HP LaserJet 1300 shared by Win2k3 32-bit from Vista 64-b
HP does have an x64 driver, but the install is a .exe, so you can't easily
figure out what to copy where, nor do they have a driver set that is meant
for server use which will install both.