unable to print on a local network

hoffmavl

unable to print on a local network
I have a desktop pc with xp pro which also has a local printer attached to
it; I added a new desktop pc which has vista home installed and a laptop
which are all networked. I was able to added the printer to vista through
control panel add a printer but when it comes to printing a test page or
printer period nothing happens, it was shared out from the xp pc, now I can
print between laptop and the xp desktop just not from vista? Any thoughts
Malke

Re: unable to print on a local network
hoffmavl wrote:
> I have a desktop pc with xp pro which also has a local printer attached to
> it; I added a new desktop pc which has vista home installed and a laptop
> which are all networked. I was able to added the printer to vista through
> control panel add a printer but when it comes to printing a test page or
> printer period nothing happens, it was shared out from the xp pc, now I can
> print between laptop and the xp desktop just not from vista? Any thoughts

1. Set up file/printer sharing between XP Pro and the new Vista Home
machine.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:

2. Once you have successfully transferred a file from Vista to XP and
back again, go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the drivers
for Vista. Install them on the Vista machine. The printer connected to
the XP box should be seen during the printer installation routine.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
hoffmavl

"Malke" wrote:

> hoffmavl wrote:
> > I have a desktop pc with xp pro which also has a local printer attached to
> > it; I added a new desktop pc which has vista home installed and a laptop
> > which are all networked. I was able to added the printer to vista through
> > control panel add a printer but when it comes to printing a test page or
> > printer period nothing happens, it was shared out from the xp pc, now I can
> > print between laptop and the xp desktop just not from vista? Any thoughts

> 1. Set up file/printer sharing between XP Pro and the new Vista Home
> machine.
>
> Excellent, thorough, yet easy to understand article about File/Printer
> Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
> files and folders:

> 2. Once you have successfully transferred a file from Vista to XP and
> back again, go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the drivers
> for Vista. Install them on the Vista machine. The printer connected to
> the XP box should be seen during the printer installation routine.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke, I tried.. I was able to move a file to my vista pc and open it from
the xp, and do the same back to vista and open, but I'm still not able to
print, it goes through the motions when you click on print icon the print
window appears but just doesn't come out of the printer, and there are up
update drivers for my hp printer for vista I checked

hoffmavl wrote:

> Malke, I tried.. I was able to move a file to my vista pc and open it from
> the xp, and do the same back to vista and open, but I'm still not able to
> print, it goes through the motions when you click on print icon the print
> window appears but just doesn't come out of the printer, and there are up
> update drivers for my hp printer for vista I checked

Model of the printer?

You shared it on the XP box?

Look in Event Viewer to see if the print spooler is stopping or for any
related clues.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Arjen

Re: unable to print on a local network
I have the same problems with the following configuration:

Printer computer:
Windows XP Pro SP2
HP Deskjet 970cxi shared
No messages found in the event viewer

Work computer:
Windows Vista Premium
No messages found in the event viewer
Even with administrator rights I cannot change the authorization for the
printer. Maker/owner (me) doesn't have the right to print, the administrator
does.

Other work computer:
Windows XP home
No printing problems

Any more ideas?

"Malke" wrote:

> hoffmavl wrote:
> >

> > Malke, I tried.. I was able to move a file to my vista pc and open it from
> > the xp, and do the same back to vista and open, but I'm still not able to
> > print, it goes through the motions when you click on print icon the print
> > window appears but just doesn't come out of the printer, and there are up
> > update drivers for my hp printer for vista I checked

> Model of the printer?
>
> You shared it on the XP box?
>
> Look in Event Viewer to see if the print spooler is stopping or for any
> related clues.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers