Cannot print with UAC enabled

lofty

Cannot print with UAC enabled
Printer : Konica/Minalta 2530DL Vista 32 drivers USB conneted to computer.
OS: Vista Home Premium 32 bit UAC enabled, log on with Amin privileges.
All Vista updates installed as of this post.
Problem: Pinter drivers succesfully installed but test print will not print,
job just sits saying "printing". Can print "Test" from printer properties
page if I seclect "run as administrator". If I try and print any kind of
job, doc, text, image even with "Run as admin" job will not print, it just
sits in queue saying it is printing. K/M support says this is only a problem
with the home versions of Vista and this does not occur in the other
versions. They claim it is an MS issue and their drivers are correct. They
told me if I disable the UAC I can print as usual. I verified this and all
print jobs complete successfully if UAC is disabled. Is there a solution for
this problem? Thanks for any help.
Andrew Rossmann

Re: Cannot print with UAC enabled
In article <F0FCA0E1-BAFB-4CCC-A266-5AC176A941B3@microsoft.com>,
lofty@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Printer : Konica/Minalta 2530DL Vista 32 drivers USB conneted to computer.
> OS: Vista Home Premium 32 bit UAC enabled, log on with Amin privileges.
> All Vista updates installed as of this post.
> Problem: Pinter drivers succesfully installed but test print will not print,
> job just sits saying "printing". Can print "Test" from printer properties
> page if I seclect "run as administrator". If I try and print any kind of
> job, doc, text, image even with "Run as admin" job will not print, it just
> sits in queue saying it is printing. K/M support says this is only a problem
> with the home versions of Vista and this does not occur in the other
> versions. They claim it is an MS issue and their drivers are correct. They
> told me if I disable the UAC I can print as usual. I verified this and all
> print jobs complete successfully if UAC is disabled. Is there a solution for
> this problem? Thanks for any help.

Go to the Printers folder from Control Panel. From the File menu, go to
Server Properties. Go to the Advanced tab. Check the spool folder path.
Double-check the permissions for that path. You can also change the path
to someplace else that may have looser permissions.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
lofty

Re: Cannot print with UAC enabled
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the permissions and should be able to
print. I did not try a new folder/path, so I set up a new folder in root with
full permissions and changed the spooler path accordingly. I still have the
same issues; when I activated the UAC, the print job hangs and statused as
"Printing" yet will never print. When I disable UAC I can print without
incident regardless if I am admin or user.

"Andrew Rossmann" wrote:

> Go to the Printers folder from Control Panel. From the File menu, go to
> Server Properties. Go to the Advanced tab. Check the spool folder path.
> Double-check the permissions for that path. You can also change the path
> to someplace else that may have looser permissions.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Cannot print with UAC enabled
I forward the Konica support information to a Windows Program Manager for
various print vendors. He found the data regarding where Konica is
suggesting disabling UAC and will take it from there. The inbox Konica
drivers work fine with UAC enabled so it's a matter for the Konica
developers to figure out what they need to correct to get the drivers
working.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

In article <635139CD-76B7-4DB3-B23B-2E7CD0726E75@microsoft.com>,
lofty@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the permissions and should be able to
> print. I did not try a new folder/path, so I set up a new folder in root with
> full permissions and changed the spooler path accordingly. I still have the
> same issues; when I activated the UAC, the print job hangs and statused as
> "Printing" yet will never print. When I disable UAC I can print without
> incident regardless if I am admin or user.

Most likely it is either trying to write or read a file that requires
full Admin rights, or maybe even a registry setting. The fun part is
finding out what.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
lofty

Re: Cannot print with UAC enabled
I thank you for your assistance. Although my computer environment is not a
high risk one, I would like to have UAC enabled for the many reasons sited on
this forum since I do run windows as an administrator. I appear to be in a
"catch 22" where Konica says it's an MS issue and my having an OEM version of
Vista, MS saying it's the OEM's problem, and the OEM hasn't a clue saying it
is Konica's problem. Thanks for stepping up.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> I forward the Konica support information to a Windows Program Manager for
> various print vendors. He found the data regarding where Konica is
> suggesting disabling UAC and will take it from there. The inbox Konica
> drivers work fine with UAC enabled so it's a matter for the Konica
> developers to figure out what they need to correct to get the drivers
> working.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

lofty

Re: Cannot print with UAC enabled
Alan, I want to ket you know I have contacted Konica again and the found the
problem. It is not an MS or KM issue. I have an HP 9000 Pavilion notebook
and Konica found and anomoly with 6000 and 9000 HP notebooks. For some
reason HP has write protected the windows temp folder in these machines. As
soon as I unchecked "read only" it works. I can now print with UAC enabled.
HP will get an ear full from me about this. Thanks again for your assistance.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> I forward the Konica support information to a Windows Program Manager for
> various print vendors. He found the data regarding where Konica is
> suggesting disabling UAC and will take it from there. The inbox Konica
> drivers work fine with UAC enabled so it's a matter for the Konica
> developers to figure out what they need to correct to get the drivers
> working.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "lofty" <lofty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the permissions and should be able
> > print. I did not try a new folder/path, so I set up a new folder in root
> > with
> > full permissions and changed the spooler path accordingly. I still have
> > the
> > same issues; when I activated the UAC, the print job hangs and statused as
> > "Printing" yet will never print. When I disable UAC I can print without
> > incident regardless if I am admin or user.
> >
> > "Andrew Rossmann" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to the Printers folder from Control Panel. From the File menu, go to
> >> Server Properties. Go to the Advanced tab. Check the spool folder path.
> >> Double-check the permissions for that path. You can also change the path
> >> to someplace else that may have looser permissions.

lofty

Re: Cannot print with UAC enabled
You were on the right track! Konica found the problem. It is not an MS or
KM issue. I have an HP 9000 Pavilion notebook and Konica found an anomoly

"Andrew Rossmann" wrote:

> In article <635139CD-76B7-4DB3-B23B-2E7CD0726E75@microsoft.com>,
> lofty@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the permissions and should be able to
> > print. I did not try a new folder/path, so I set up a new folder in root with
> > full permissions and changed the spooler path accordingly. I still have the
> > same issues; when I activated the UAC, the print job hangs and statused as
> > "Printing" yet will never print. When I disable UAC I can print without
> > incident regardless if I am admin or user.

> Most likely it is either trying to write or read a file that requires
> full Admin rights, or maybe even a registry setting. The fun part is
> finding out what.
>
> --
> If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
> All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
> law!!
> http://home.att.net/~andyross

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Cannot print with UAC enabled
Thanks for posting the solution.

--

> Alan, I want to ket you know I have contacted Konica again and the found
> the
> problem. It is not an MS or KM issue. I have an HP 9000 Pavilion
> notebook
> and Konica found and anomoly with 6000 and 9000 HP notebooks. For some
> reason HP has write protected the windows temp folder in these machines.
> As
> soon as I unchecked "read only" it works. I can now print with UAC
> enabled.
> HP will get an ear full from me about this. Thanks again for your
> assistance.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> I forward the Konica support information to a Windows Program Manager for
>> various print vendors. He found the data regarding where Konica is
>> suggesting disabling UAC and will take it from there. The inbox Konica
>> drivers work fine with UAC enabled so it's a matter for the Konica
>> developers to figure out what they need to correct to get the drivers
>> working.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "lofty" <lofty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the permissions and should be
>> > able
>> > print. I did not try a new folder/path, so I set up a new folder in
>> > root
>> > with
>> > full permissions and changed the spooler path accordingly. I still
>> > have
>> > the
>> > same issues; when I activated the UAC, the print job hangs and statused
>> > as
>> > "Printing" yet will never print. When I disable UAC I can print
>> > without
>> > incident regardless if I am admin or user.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Cannot print with UAC enabled
This is definitely a KM driver problem. The drivers should NEVER write data
to the system temp directory %windir%\temp, the driver should do this to the
%temp% directory which is the users temp directory.

The good news is KM will address this in future driver releases.