Drivers for old HPs (Deskjet 820Cse)

JETHRO

Drivers for old HPs (Deskjet 820Cse)
I've tried everything I can think of (and a lot of other's advice) to get my
820Cse to run with Vista. On the HP site, there isn't anything other than an
explanation that the native Vista drivers will get the job done. Not true,
as far as I can tell. I've attempted to install them every which way, but
without success. I even tried to DL the original drivers using compatability
for Win 95, 98, NT 4.0, and XP. No dice. I also tried uninstalling the
printer, rebooting, running the driver/utility installation, rebooting, then
plugging in the HP. Vista STILL couldn't find them, and my browsing for them
didn't work either. This method seems to have been a winner for others in
this area though.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any help to conquer this. And, especially
any info from folks who have successfully gotten their old HP 800 series
printer to work. Mine's almost 15 years old, has printed a HUGE amount
during that time, and still prints like the day I took it out of the store.
If only even half of things sold now we're like that, right?

Thanks!
Andrew Rossmann

Re: Drivers for old HPs (Deskjet 820Cse)
In article <EEF0F955-E1C3-4305-99D8-9EED403354B8@microsoft.com>,
JETHRO@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I've tried everything I can think of (and a lot of other's advice) to get my
> 820Cse to run with Vista. On the HP site, there isn't anything other than an
> explanation that the native Vista drivers will get the job done. Not true,
> as far as I can tell. I've attempted to install them every which way, but
> without success. I even tried to DL the original drivers using compatability
> for Win 95, 98, NT 4.0, and XP. No dice. I also tried uninstalling the
> printer, rebooting, running the driver/utility installation, rebooting, then
> plugging in the HP. Vista STILL couldn't find them, and my browsing for them
> didn't work either. This method seems to have been a winner for others in
> this area though.

One issue is that the 820 was one of the first host-based printers HP
made. It only understands basic graphics commands. It requires full
duplex communication between the computer and printer. I don't believe
any other driver will work with it, except possibly the 7xx series,
which were also host-based.

I know it's an OK printer, but even the cheapest printer you can buy now
will have better output. You can probably buy one for less than the cost
of cartridges for the 820.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross