Distinctive Ringtone

stitch

Distinctive Ringtone
We have a single phone line with 2 phone numbers. One of the numbers has a
distinctive ringtone which fax machines/fax printers can be setup to
recognise as an incoming fax and therefore pickup. How can I get Vista's
Windows Fax & Scan to recognise the distinctive ringtone and answer only fax
calls
--
stitch
Australia
Tony

Re: Distinctive Ringtone
stitch <stitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>We have a single phone line with 2 phone numbers. One of the numbers has a
>distinctive ringtone which fax machines/fax printers can be setup to
>recognise as an incoming fax and therefore pickup. How can I get Vista's
>Windows Fax & Scan to recognise the distinctive ringtone and answer only fax
>calls
>--
>stitch
>Australia

There are two areas to address.
Firstly does your modem support distinctive ring, many do not? Especially in
the antipodes.
Secondly does Windows Vista FAX support it, I don't know but I would first of
all check to see if your modem supports it.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Distinctive Ringtone
The answer to this is 'does your modem support distinctive ring?'
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"stitch" <stitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a single phone line with 2 phone numbers. One of the numbers has
> distinctive ringtone which fax machines/fax printers can be setup to
> recognise as an incoming fax and therefore pickup. How can I get Vista's
> Windows Fax & Scan to recognise the distinctive ringtone and answer only
> fax
> calls
> --
> stitch
> Australia

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Distinctive Ringtone
Windows Vista, like XP and 2K before it, does not support Distinctive Ring.
You'll either need a Fax application that adds this support, or you'll need
to get a hardware device to help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272943
Distinctive Ring Is Not Supported by Windows 2000 Fax

I know of one third party fax application that overcomes this Distinctive
Ring problem:

http://www.faxtalk.com/
FaxTalk Messenger Pro

Hardware devices: