Network Printer Problems

Mark

Network Printer Problems
I recently purchased an HP F380 all-in-one printer. It connects to the
network through a print server. Everything works fine from the XP Laptop and
XP desktop, but both of the Vista laptops cannot print correctly. In both
cases the print gets 90% done then stops until eventually an error message is
displayed in the print queue.

I have downloaded the latest driver from HP but this makes no difference.
The printer works fine if connected to either Vista laptop directly through
the USB cable, but that is not a convenient solution.

The print server is TCP/IP so the O/S shouldn't matter and I can ping the
server from all the PC's on the network.

Anyone have any ideas?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Network Printer Problems
Are you using Standard TCP/IP Port or HP Standard TCP/IP port?

Will the printer work properly if you disable the Windows firewall?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased an HP F380 all-in-one printer. It connects to the
> network through a print server. Everything works fine from the XP Laptop
> and
> XP desktop, but both of the Vista laptops cannot print correctly. In both
> cases the print gets 90% done then stops until eventually an error message
> is
> displayed in the print queue.
>
> I have downloaded the latest driver from HP but this makes no difference.
> The printer works fine if connected to either Vista laptop directly
> through
> the USB cable, but that is not a convenient solution.
>
> The print server is TCP/IP so the O/S shouldn't matter and I can ping the
> server from all the PC's on the network.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Mark

Re: Network Printer Problems
I'm using a standard TCP/IP port and disabling the firewall makes no
difference, the print stops just before the end.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Are you using Standard TCP/IP Port or HP Standard TCP/IP port?
>
> Will the printer work properly if you disable the Windows firewall?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased an HP F380 all-in-one printer. It connects to the
> > network through a print server. Everything works fine from the XP Laptop
> > and
> > XP desktop, but both of the Vista laptops cannot print correctly. In both
> > cases the print gets 90% done then stops until eventually an error message
> > is
> > displayed in the print queue.
> >
> > I have downloaded the latest driver from HP but this makes no difference.
> > The printer works fine if connected to either Vista laptop directly
> > through
> > the USB cable, but that is not a convenient solution.
> >
> > The print server is TCP/IP so the O/S shouldn't matter and I can ping the
> > server from all the PC's on the network.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Network Printer Problems
Disable Bidirectional in properties Ports tab, next disable SNMP within the
port configuration. Is this an HP Jetdirect print server device?

--

> I'm using a standard TCP/IP port and disabling the firewall makes no
> difference, the print stops just before the end.
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Are you using Standard TCP/IP Port or HP Standard TCP/IP port?
>>
>> Will the printer work properly if you disable the Windows firewall?
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently purchased an HP F380 all-in-one printer. It connects to the
>> > network through a print server. Everything works fine from the XP
>> > Laptop
>> > and
>> > XP desktop, but both of the Vista laptops cannot print correctly. In
>> > both
>> > cases the print gets 90% done then stops until eventually an error
>> > message
>> > is
>> > displayed in the print queue.
>> >
>> > I have downloaded the latest driver from HP but this makes no
>> > difference.
>> > The printer works fine if connected to either Vista laptop directly
>> > through
>> > the USB cable, but that is not a convenient solution.
>> >
>> > The print server is TCP/IP so the O/S shouldn't matter and I can ping
>> > the
>> > server from all the PC's on the network.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any ideas?

Arjen Meijer

Re: Network Printer Problems
I had the same problem, but found a solution at:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...0179&SiteID=17

It doesn't sound like it makes sense but it works.