Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Unable to remove network printer drivers

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
pmt82
 

Posts: n/a
Unable to remove network printer drivers
After having successfully used printers which are installed on our Windows
Server 2003 (not Vista drivers) on other vista computers for some time now I
have come into trouble with the latest install.

The printer spool service will unexpectedly stop, especially when trying to
print. Restarting this service might work for another print but not the next,
and it will constantly throughout the day turn off.
The main issue here now is that I cannot actually delete these drivers from
the laptop. There is about 5 network drivers and all off them will not allow
me to delete them.

"Unable to remove (HP/KM etc), Type 3 usermode driver. The specified printer
driver is currently in use"

Stopping the print spooler to try a delete doesn’t work, they either
disappear from the list or ask the spooler service to be started.
Safe mode does not start the required services (and will not) and gives the
same issue above because the spooler service isn't started. And Print manager
mmc won't start.
It also doesn’t matter what account you try to do this with (local admin or
domain).

Any ideas on how to remove these so I can start again?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Cari \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to remove network printer drivers
Take it off the network and try again.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"pmt82" <pmt82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:29CD950F-F7DF-4832-9351-8C01163519C4@microsoft.com...
> After having successfully used printers which are installed on our Windows
> Server 2003 (not Vista drivers) on other vista computers for some time now
> I
> have come into trouble with the latest install.
>
> The printer spool service will unexpectedly stop, especially when trying
> to
> print. Restarting this service might work for another print but not the
> next,
> and it will constantly throughout the day turn off.
> The main issue here now is that I cannot actually delete these drivers
> from
> the laptop. There is about 5 network drivers and all off them will not
> allow
> me to delete them.
>
> "Unable to remove (HP/KM etc), Type 3 usermode driver. The specified
> printer
> driver is currently in use"
>
> Stopping the print spooler to try a delete doesn’t work, they either
> disappear from the list or ask the spooler service to be started.
> Safe mode does not start the required services (and will not) and gives
> the
> same issue above because the spooler service isn't started. And Print
> manager
> mmc won't start.
> It also doesn’t matter what account you try to do this with (local admin
> or
> domain).
>
> Any ideas on how to remove these so I can start again?
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2007
steamydinner@hotmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to remove network printer drivers
Also if I remove a printer from registry will I need to remove any
other files to completley delete the printer to start again?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2007
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to remove network printer drivers
The driver will still be loaded by the spooler after removing a printer from
the registry. One needs to stop (I assume you are here since the spooler
is not currently running) the spooler and restart after any registry change.

the print driver registry key for 32bit machines is located under.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\PRINTDRIVERNAME

If the print driver uses a custom print processor it's sitting under this
location. You would need to look in the inf file that came with the printer
to know if it uses a custom print processor. Winprint is the print
processor that most inbox drivers use. Don't remove this entry. One
normally does not need to touch this key, just the driver.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Print Processors


--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

<steamydinner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1194490497.327363.193980@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
> Also if I remove a printer from registry will I need to remove any
> other files to completley delete the printer to start again?
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-08-2007
pmt82
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Unable to remove network printer drivers
Thanks for all your help. I didn't get a chance to try thoose steps today as
we have decided to have Windows XP installed to save the hassles, this was
one of many and it needed to be out in production.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> The driver will still be loaded by the spooler after removing a printer from
> the registry. One needs to stop (I assume you are here since the spooler
> is not currently running) the spooler and restart after any registry change.
>
> the print driver registry key for 32bit machines is located under.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
> NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\PRINTDRIVERNAME
>
> If the print driver uses a custom print processor it's sitting under this
> location. You would need to look in the inf file that came with the printer
> to know if it uses a custom print processor. Winprint is the print
> processor that most inbox drivers use. Don't remove this entry. One
> normally does not need to touch this key, just the driver.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
> NT x86\Print Processors
>
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> <steamydinner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1194490497.327363.193980@y27g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
> > Also if I remove a printer from registry will I need to remove any
> > other files to completley delete the printer to start again?
> >

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unable to install network shared printer Ji Cvrk microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 6 11-08-2007 21:21
Article ID: 929478 After you use the Safely Remove Hardware option to remove a built-in optical drive from a portable Windows Vista-based computer, you may be unable to reconnect the drive KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Unable to remove mapped network printer John Beuerle microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 09-25-2007 18:34
Unable to connect to a network printer (on XP) from Vista David microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 05-31-2007 15:18
Unable to set up Network Printer in Vista ghan66 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 05-30-2007 21:16




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:18.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120