Vista network printing problems

Sue007

Vista network printing problems
I cannot connect my Vista laptop to my Network printer which is plugged into
my Server running Windows XP. I tried running the script "net use
LPT2:\\server\printer" but now it comes up with error 0x000006be and aborts
the printer connection. Any suggestions
Sue007

RE: Vista network printing problems
After reading pages of posts, I am adding additional information to my
problem to increase the chances of success,

My "Host" computer which I am using as a Server runs Windows XP Home. It
has two printers plugged into the USB ports which are shared via a D-Link
wireless router. I also share the broadband connection plugged into the
router.

My previous laptop running Windows XP Pro was able to print via the wireless
router and also share the broadband connection plugged into the server.

My new laptop is running Vista and I connect to the wireless router for
internet use, but I cannot get Vista to talk to the printers.

With the help of other posts, I have managed to set my LPT2 port on the
laptop as the one for network printers to use. I have also managed to add a
new "local printer" to the Vista machine and now the printer seems to be
recognised, but when I print a test page is shows in the printer dialogue box
"Spooling" and then "Printing" and then it comes up with a n "Error Printing"
and it then stays frozen.

I would really appreciate if any one could help me with this maddening
problem.

"Sue007" wrote:

> I cannot connect my Vista laptop to my Network printer which is plugged into
> my Server running Windows XP. I tried running the script "net use
> LPT2:\\server\printer" but now it comes up with error 0x000006be and aborts
> the printer connection. Any suggestions

Malke

Sue007 wrote:
> After reading pages of posts, I am adding additional information to my
> problem to increase the chances of success,
>
> My "Host" computer which I am using as a Server runs Windows XP Home. It
> has two printers plugged into the USB ports which are shared via a D-Link
> wireless router. I also share the broadband connection plugged into the
> router.
>
> My previous laptop running Windows XP Pro was able to print via the wireless
> router and also share the broadband connection plugged into the server.
>
> My new laptop is running Vista and I connect to the wireless router for
> internet use, but I cannot get Vista to talk to the printers.
>
> With the help of other posts, I have managed to set my LPT2 port on the
> laptop as the one for network printers to use. I have also managed to add a
> new "local printer" to the Vista machine and now the printer seems to be
> recognised, but when I print a test page is shows in the printer dialogue box
> "Spooling" and then "Printing" and then it comes up with a n "Error Printing"
> and it then stays frozen.
>
> I would really appreciate if any one could help me with this maddening
> problem.
>
> "Sue007" wrote:
>
>> I cannot connect my Vista laptop to my Network printer which is plugged into
>> my Server running Windows XP. I tried running the script "net use
>> LPT2:\\server\printer" but now it comes up with error 0x000006be and aborts
>> the printer connection. Any suggestions

Since the computer hosting the printers is XP Home, there is no reason
to set your LPT2 port for the printers. You should undo all the
printer-related stuff you did.

1. Set up file/printer sharing on your Local Area Network (LAN) if not
already done. See the general networking troubleshooting information
below. Once you are successfully sharing files, go to the next step.

2. Go to the printer mftrs.' websites and download drivers for Vista for
each printer. Install the drivers on the Vista machine. Normally the
printer will be seen during the installation routine - choose "network
printer or printer connected to another computer on the network". If the
printer is not seen during the installation routine (and it usually will
be) then use the Add Printer Wizard.

*****
Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may
look daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions
below systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting
up your sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...27037.aspxThis link will
take you through Vista networking very well:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it. Read through the general networking tips
below and if you still are having difficulties, MVP Hans-Georg Michna
has an excellent small network troubleshooter here:

http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Taking the time to go through his troubleshooter will usually pinpoint
the source of the problem(s).

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

B. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

I think it is a good idea to create the identical user
accounts/passwords in any case when Vista machines are involved and it
isn't an onerous task with home/small networks.

D. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.
*****

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Sue007

Re: Vista network printing problems
Dear Malke

Thanks for your reply, but I am a novice and don't know how to "UNDO" the
printer stuff I already did. To start, how do I undo the command "net user
LPT2:\\server\printer.

Thanks

"Malke" wrote:

> [...]

> Panel, Computer Name tab.
>
> C. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
> wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
> user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
> this link work for both XP and Vista:
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> I think it is a good idea to create the identical user
> accounts/passwords in any case when Vista machines are involved and it
> isn't an onerous task with home/small networks.
>
> D. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
> folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
> Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about

Malke

Sue007 wrote:
> Dear Malke
>
> Thanks for your reply, but I am a novice and don't know how to "UNDO" the
> printer stuff I already did. To start, how do I undo the command "net user
> LPT2:\\server\printer.

You aren't going to be using the LPT2 port in any case so don't worry
about it.

Since I don't know what else you did, if you installed any drivers for
the printers from CDs you had, first go to Control Panel>Programs and
Features and check to see if anything is installed for your printers. If
yes, uninstall the software. After rebooting, go to the Control
Panel>Printers applet and uninstall/delete any real printers there. By
"real printers" I mean actual devices, not printers added by MS Office
or PDF programs.

Then go forward with the instructions I already gave you. If this all
seems daunting - and it is no shame to decide that setting this up isn't
your cup of tea because we all have our areas of expertise - have a
local computer professional come on-site and install your printers. This
will not be someone from a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get
recommendations from family, friends, colleagues.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
JimWae±

Re: Vista network printing problems
Try this

Make sure both computers are in same workgroup, then...

1.) Verify that File and print sharing is turned on and properly configured

on the XP machine.

2.) Locate and notate the Win XP computer name (i.e. "Desktop") (Found in

System Properties in the Computer Name tab)

3.) Locate and notate the printer share name on the XP computer (i.e.

"Printer") (Found under the Sharing tab on the Printer Properties page)

4.) On the Vista machine launch the "Add a Printer" wizard

5.) Choose "Add a local printer"

6.) Select "Create a new port" radio button and choose "Local Port" from the

drop down menu

7.) Press Next

8.) In the "Enter Port Name:" box enter the following: \\Desktop\Printer

where "Desktop" = the computer name from step 2 and "Printer" = the printer

share name from step 3.

9.) Select the Printer driver from the list provided or use the "Have Disk"

button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the built-in
list.

It is critical that the driver you use is Vista compatible.

10.) Press next

11.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the

default.

12.) Press Next

13.) Print a test page to verify functionality.

14.) Press Finish

> Sue007 wrote:
>> Dear Malke
>>
>> Thanks for your reply, but I am a novice and don't know how to "UNDO" the
>> printer stuff I already did. To start, how do I undo the command "net
>> user LPT2:\\server\printer.

> You aren't going to be using the LPT2 port in any case so don't worry
> about it.
>
> Since I don't know what else you did, if you installed any drivers for the
> printers from CDs you had, first go to Control Panel>Programs and Features
> and check to see if anything is installed for your printers. If yes,
> uninstall the software. After rebooting, go to the Control Panel>Printers
> applet and uninstall/delete any real printers there. By "real printers" I
> mean actual devices, not printers added by MS Office or PDF programs.
>
> Then go forward with the instructions I already gave you. If this all
> seems daunting - and it is no shame to decide that setting this up isn't
> your cup of tea because we all have our areas of expertise - have a local
> computer professional come on-site and install your printers. This will
> not be someone from a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. Get
> recommendations from family, friends, colleagues.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

forster11@san.rr.com

Re: Vista network printing problems
I was having problems printing from a Vista computer to a network
printer (HP PSC950) connected to an XP machine. The add printer
wizard seemed happy (once I got sharing and the workgroup setup
correctly). But when I went to print there was no error but nothing
ever came out of the printer. I followed JimWae's advice above and
added it as a "local printer" instead of a network printer and now
things work fine. Making it a local printer instead of a network
printer makes no sense to me but it works so thank you.