Scanning/Copying

Quana

Scanning/Copying
I am not able to use the scanner or the copier on my HP officejet 6200series
since I purchased this new computer that has Windows Vista. I have tried
several times to unistall and reinstall the software. Can any one help me?
John

Re: Scanning/Copying
I don't know about HP, but I have a similar situation with my Lexmark
printer.

When I bought the printer, it included some very fine software that even
included some things that corrected a hardware problem. The scan feature
included some very high resolutions and even OCR.

But when I went to Vista, all that changed. At their download website,
Lexmark said that Vista software would now be handling the fax and scan
features of the printer, that Lexmark would not be providing software to do
it for Vista.

So, I lost all those nice resolutions, OCR, and good software for cropping
and printing. It is a nightmare to do these functions now.

What looks like decent software to do the same thing goes for $79, which is
out of sight for me. Actually, that's close to what I paid for the printer!

The printer situation with Vista is not good. If the operating system is
going to do it, they ought to do it right. What's there now is clumsy and
inadequate for normal use.

Hope all that's not true for your HP, but it might be.

John

"Quana" <Quana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am not able to use the scanner or the copier on my HP officejet
>6200series
> since I purchased this new computer that has Windows Vista. I have tried
> several times to unistall and reinstall the software. Can any one help me?

huwyngr

Re: Scanning/Copying
What version of VISTA is it?

Did you install the HP software before plugging the USB cable into the
PC?

Quana

Re: Scanning/Copying
Windows Vista Home Premium, but we just purchased Microsoft Office Enterprise
2007. I believe that I installed it after I plugged the cable into the pc.

"huwyngr" wrote:

> What version of VISTA is it?
>
> Did you install the HP software before plugging the USB cable into the
> PC?

Quana

Re: Scanning/Copying
Thanks for the info, but those are the same problems that I am experiencing.
I am not to happy with this new program. I enjoyed the abilitiy of scanning a
document, and being able to make necessary changes.

With my current work situation, I am exceeding turnaround time to complete
projects, it is seriously a hassle.

"John" wrote:

> I don't know about HP, but I have a similar situation with my Lexmark
> printer.
>
> When I bought the printer, it included some very fine software that even
> included some things that corrected a hardware problem. The scan feature
> included some very high resolutions and even OCR.
>
> But when I went to Vista, all that changed. At their download website,
> Lexmark said that Vista software would now be handling the fax and scan
> features of the printer, that Lexmark would not be providing software to do
> it for Vista.
>
> So, I lost all those nice resolutions, OCR, and good software for cropping
> and printing. It is a nightmare to do these functions now.
>
> What looks like decent software to do the same thing goes for $79, which is
> out of sight for me. Actually, that's close to what I paid for the printer!
>
> The printer situation with Vista is not good. If the operating system is
> going to do it, they ought to do it right. What's there now is clumsy and
> inadequate for normal use.
>
> Hope all that's not true for your HP, but it might be.
>
> John
>
> "Quana" <Quana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am not able to use the scanner or the copier on my HP officejet
> >6200series
> > since I purchased this new computer that has Windows Vista. I have tried
> > several times to unistall and reinstall the software. Can any one help me?

huwyngr

Re: Scanning/Copying
The Home series of VISTA do not include the builtin Fax and Scan
utility so you will have to rely on HP Software for that.

You must make sure you have the VISTA version of HP software for that
printer. You don't say which OJ6200 -- always give specific information
or you may get incorrect information.

Turn off the AIO and unplug the USB cable from the PC end.

I recommend that you go to:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?
h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_cli ent=S-A-R163-
1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=officejet+6200

and select which version printer you have and then the VISTA link.

Download the Full software (I hope you have broadband -- if not send
for the CD unless you are sure your CD/DVD has the VISTA version on it)

Use the Download / Save Option and not the Install Now or the Run
options so that you end up with the file:

AIO_CDB_Full_Non-Network_enu.exe

in a folder you can locate on your PC. (I create a folder Internet
Downloads for this purpose and VISTA remembers once I've pointed it to
that folder and downloaded a file!)

Then download the fix "Critical update to prevent unexpected printer
uninstall" CIT223969-HPCOM-Baloo32-v4.exe and remember where it is on
your computer.

After you have downloaded that, go to the Printers folder on the PC and
delete all the icons relating to the printer that are there; go to
Control Panel and select Uninstall a Program, look in the list for any
programs related to the HP AIO device and uninstall them.

Reboot the computer.

Then without the USB cable plugged into the PC, install the Full
Software by right mouse clicking on the first downloaded exe file and
selecting Run as Administrator and OKing your way out (probably ENTER)

Do not plug in the USB cable to the printer until the installation
software tells you to or until you reach Finish.

After you have done that and anything else it tells you to do, run that
Critical Update file in exactly the same way -- right mouse click on it
etc.

I hope that works for you.