HP Photosmart 7180

Mark

HP Photosmart 7180
Hello. I purchased a laptop with Vista on it for my son. We loaded the
Vista driver for the printer. It works fine right away, but then goes off
line. I'm unable to bring the print driver back on line and the only way
I've been able to get around it is to delete the offline driver and reinstall
the printer. Why is this going on and how do you bring the printer on the pc
back on line. I am using a router in the house that other pc's have no
troubles printing. It seems to be a Vista thing.
--
Mark
Andrew Rossmann

Re: HP Photosmart 7180
In article <4FADE599-9393-4CBF-B8E4-3E69DCD00495@microsoft.com>,
Mark@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Hello. I purchased a laptop with Vista on it for my son. We loaded the
> Vista driver for the printer. It works fine right away, but then goes off
> line. I'm unable to bring the print driver back on line and the only way
> I've been able to get around it is to delete the offline driver and reinstall
> the printer. Why is this going on and how do you bring the printer on the pc
> back on line. I am using a router in the house that other pc's have no
> troubles printing. It seems to be a Vista thing.

If it's USB, you can try unplugging the USB cable (makes no difference
which end), wait a few seconds, then plug it back in.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
HB

Re: HP Photosmart 7180
Mark, it could be a wrong Port IP address. That was my problem. Once I
fixed that it worked well.
To find your IP address go to your printer and do the following:
Press the Setup button on your printer then scroll using the arrow key and
select Network then select View Network Settings then select Print
Network Configuration Page.

On your laptop go to Control Panel - Printer - highlight the printer icon
then go to Properties. Under the Port tab click the Configure button and
make the change.

HTH,
HB

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I purchased a laptop with Vista on it for my son. We loaded the
> Vista driver for the printer. It works fine right away, but then goes off
> line. I'm unable to bring the print driver back on line and the only way
> I've been able to get around it is to delete the offline driver and
> reinstall
> the printer. Why is this going on and how do you bring the printer on the
> pc
> back on line. I am using a router in the house that other pc's have no
> troubles printing. It seems to be a Vista thing.
> --
> Mark

Bob Headrick

Re: HP Photosmart 7180
"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I purchased a laptop with Vista on it for my son. We loaded the
> Vista driver for the printer. It works fine right away, but then goes off
> line.

There is a "Critical update to prevent unexpected printer uninstall" patch
available at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...2093&lang= en

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging