HP L7580 Printer Fax and Scanner Driver Installation Problems

mmeche

HP L7580 Printer Fax and Scanner Driver Installation Problems
I downloaded and installed the 8.0 software for the L7580 All-In-One Printer
and cannot get the fax driver to install. The printer is a network printer
and I have tried both static and dynamic addresses. I can ping the printer
and run the web based fax and scan utility with no problem. I am running
Vista Home Premium. During the install, if I try to add a device, the install
software sees the printer but upon selection of the printer it says that no
device was present. I've been through all levels of tech support with HP and
no one can provide me the right answers. I also tried turning off the
firewall. Still no success. Any assistance will be appreciated.

--
mmeche
huwyngr

Re: HP L7580 Printer Fax and Scanner Driver Installation Problems
In article <15D9A11D-386B-417D-A1D4-DCDF0029EB1A@microsoft.com>, Mmeche
wrote:

> I am running*
> Vista Home Premium.

This does not have the built in Fax & Scan VISTA utility so the system
cannot see the scanner.

If you install the HP software correctly it should then work from it
but you might have to go into Services and disable Windows Image
Acquisition (WIA) at least until you get the scanner working.

Remember that with USB connected devices you must follow the
instructions which usually specify not to plug the USB printer cable
into the PC until after the software is installed, unless the
installation instructions tell you to do so partway through.

Best bet is to turn off and unplug the printer from the PC; delete all
printer icons you see in the Printer folder; ditto if there are any
scanner icons anywhere; and uninstall any of the HP software for this
device that may be listed in the installed programs -- Control Panel /
Remove applications or something like that; I'm not in VITA at the
moment.

Reboot the computer and then install the HP software again.

mmeche

Re: HP L7580 Printer Fax and Scanner Driver Installation Problems
I ran all four levels of uninstall using HP's scrubber utility then I looked
to see what was still there. I found HP Total Care Advisor (for instance) and
tried to uninstall and got the following message: "The system administrator
has set policies to prevent this installation". I really thought disabling
the Window Imaging Aquisition servicie would do the trick but seems to have
done nothing.

I am not using a usb cable. I have the printer on a wired network which
seems to make no difference. The only printer driver that I can install is
the basic L7580 driver and then even that one disappears daily. I have to
reinstall whenever my wife notices it missing.

Could the webcam be preventing the scan/fax driver from installing?

I wonder if upgrading to Vista Premium Business would be easier than trying
to get the HP software to work?
--
mmeche

In article <B6318F2C-0759-400D-B0BF-5F927746DF19@microsoft.com>, Mmeche wrote:

> I found HP Total Care Advisor (for instance) and*
> tried to uninstall and got the following message: "The system administrator*
> has set policies to prevent this installation".

OK -- I think I ran into that before! I did not include in my last
instructions to you one step that may deal with this mainly because it has
been suggested to me that it is undesirable but regardless I do it now and you
could try it (with apologies if it means one more uninstall!)

Earlier I ended with:

> Reboot the computer and then install the HP software again.

When you reinstall (see below) use the Run as Administrator command that comes
up in the context menu when you Right Mouse Click on the file that starts the
installation.

If you can identify the install file specifically for HP Total Care Advisor
you could try leaving the rest and just reinstalling that but I'd prefer, if
it's all part of one CD or downloaded file, to uninstall everything as you did
just now and start with a clean sheet.

If it's the downloaded file that installs everything then RMC on it and select
Run as Administrator and go on from there (I forget whether you have to hit
ENTER or what after selecting RaA).

I think you will find that this deals with the problem of scanning using the
HP software since I think I remember either this Advisor or Image Zone having
to be installed before my scanner would run.

And I came across this in the Readme File with my PS8250 printer so you might
look for a readme file for yours -- inside the VISTA download file:

Photosmart 7800 and 8000 series changes

Errors in the Documentation

Due to changes in the HP software for Windows Vista, some of the information
in the product documentation may be incorrect. Review the information in this
section for changes and updates.

HP Software

Your documentation may refer to HP software that is not installed with this
Windows Vista release. If the documentation refers to HP Image Zone or HP
Image Zone Express, use HP Photosmart Essential instead. In some instances,
the documentation may refer to HP Instant Share for some tasks which may be
available through HP Solution Center or HP Photosmart Share.

There's also some information on where they relocated certain functions in the
driver interface that I hadn't seen before and that will be useful to print
out.

Better luck this time!

mmeche

Re: HP L7580 Printer Fax and Scanner Driver Installation Problems
Your RAA trick allowed me to remove all of the HP software and start from
scratch. I noticed that the printer software wants to create an HP folder
inside the HP folder and that there were two intances of the same. After I
removed everything related to the printer I rebooted and ran the install
program using RAA and it wouldn't install anything. It sees the device but
refuses to install the driver. I had to use the "Add Printer" button in the
printer and faxes folder to install the print driver. Still no fax driver. I
will play with it some more tomorrow morning.

Thank you again for your help. It seems I am getting closer.
--
mmeche

In article <AF3C8BA1-FE50-44D7-9AFA-01E745E5B594@microsoft.com>, Mmeche
wrote:

> Your RAA trick allowed me to remove all of the HP software and start from*
> scratch.

Glad that something worked as intended <g>

> ran the install*
> program using RAA and it wouldn't install anything

Did you try:

<< but you might have to go into Services and disable Windows Image*
Acquisition (WIA) at least until you get the scanner working. >>

You might try this and rebooting and see if that does it.

> I had to use the "Add Printer" button in the*
> printer and faxes folder to install the print driver

I think I've seen that in HP's website instructions as something to do if
the software will not install.

When you re-installed using RAA, you did not have the printer USB cable
plugged into the PC did you?

Did you think of turning off any AV protection and firewalls when installing
the software? I've run into problems where they have messed with a file
trying to install and either blocked it or delayed it while AV checking it
until when it was released the installation program did not know what to do
with this unexpected file!

mmeche

Re: HP L7580 Printer Fax and Scanner Driver Installation Problems
That is correct. I have never used the USB cable for the installation. I will
try that this morning along with disabling AV. Results will follow.
--
mmeche

"huwyngr" wrote:

> In article <AF3C8BA1-FE50-44D7-9AFA-01E745E5B594@microsoft.com>, Mmeche
> wrote:
>
> > Your RAA trick allowed me to remove all of the HP software and start from
> > scratch.

> Glad that something worked as intended <g>
>
> > ran the install
> > program using RAA and it wouldn't install anything

> Did you try:
>
> << but you might have to go into Services and disable Windows Image
> Acquisition (WIA) at least until you get the scanner working. >>
>
> You might try this and rebooting and see if that does it.
>
> > I had to use the "Add Printer" button in the
> > printer and faxes folder to install the print driver

> I think I've seen that in HP's website instructions as something to do if
> the software will not install.
>
> When you re-installed using RAA, you did not have the printer USB cable
> plugged into the PC did you?
>
> Did you think of turning off any AV protection and firewalls when installing
> the software? I've run into problems where they have messed with a file
> trying to install and either blocked it or delayed it while AV checking it
> until when it was released the installation program did not know what to do
> with this unexpected file!

huwyngr

Re: HP L7580 Printer Fax and Scanner Driver Installation Problems
Hope something works.

mmeche

Re: HP L7580 Printer Fax and Scanner Driver Installation Problems
Your insight on how to get HP's stuff off of this computer using RAA will
come in handy. I am thinking about purchasing Vista Ultimate just so I can
see if the scan and fax utility will work on this machine.

By the way. I also removed the HP Web Cam before proceeding. To give you an
update on the what I saw on USB, it installs the printer driver right away
but not the fax driver.

I wish I had another vista machine available to try the install on.
--
mmeche

In article <8A6C0E97-C5E0-4CB9-B54D-00AC759976A5@microsoft.com>, Mmeche
wrote:

> it installs the printer driver right away*
> but not the fax driver.

Fortunately for me, but not for you, my fax is a freestanding unit so I
don't have to worry about more than the incoming spam! I wish I could
help on that but it's not my area of knowledge or experience.

Have you checked the HP website for support on the problem? It may be
something quite simple or it may be not possible with your version of
VISTA -- I just don't know.