Vista Ultimate & HP DeskJet-895

Paran0ia

Vista Ultimate & HP DeskJet-895
Does anyone have a sure-fire way of getting an HP Deskjet-895 installed under
Vista Ultimate.

I have tried just about every way to get Vista to recognise this device and
install the Driver for it.
It is one of several printers working with my desk-top (XP) machine, but
when I try to Add this printer to our new laptops - it persists in asking for
a driver.

1- HP Support say "just plug it in" and imply that all will be fine - rubbish!
2- HP's only driver is a 'kernel-mode' beast and theirfor cannot be used.
3- Microsoft Update doesn't off a comatible driver.

I am sure I have missed something really simple here.

Any route to a closure would be appreciated.

Regards

--
Paranoia begins when you worry about Security!
Choogster

Re: Vista Ultimate & HP DeskJet-895

you could try this driver, not sure if it`ll work though:

http://www.64bitdrivers.com/driver.php?id=1262

--
Choogster

** HTTP://WWW.64BITDRIVERS.COM ***
The Ultimate Web2.0 64bit driver resource
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Ultimate & HP DeskJet-895
If HP have an XP driver (AND you're using Ultimate 32 bit) you can try that
to see if it might work.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Paran0ia" <Paran0ia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have a sure-fire way of getting an HP Deskjet-895 installed
> under
> Vista Ultimate.
>
> I have tried just about every way to get Vista to recognise this device
> and
> install the Driver for it.
> It is one of several printers working with my desk-top (XP) machine, but
> when I try to Add this printer to our new laptops - it persists in asking
> for
> a driver.
>
> 1- HP Support say "just plug it in" and imply that all will be fine -
> rubbish!
> 2- HP's only driver is a 'kernel-mode' beast and theirfor cannot be used.
> 3- Microsoft Update doesn't off a comatible driver.
>
> I am sure I have missed something really simple here.
>
> Any route to a closure would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Paranoia begins when you worry about Security!

Bob Headrick

Re: Vista Ultimate & HP DeskJet-895
"Paran0ia" <Paran0ia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have a sure-fire way of getting an HP Deskjet-895 installed
> under
> Vista Ultimate.
>
> I have tried just about every way to get Vista to recognise this device
> and
> install the Driver for it.
> It is one of several printers working with my desk-top (XP) machine, but
> when I try to Add this printer to our new laptops - it persists in asking
> for
> a driver.
>
> 1- HP Support say "just plug it in" and imply that all will be fine -
> rubbish!
> 2- HP's only driver is a 'kernel-mode' beast and theirfor cannot be used.
> 3- Microsoft Update doesn't off a comatible driver.

The drivers for the HP Deskjet 895Cse and HP Deskjet 895Cxi are built in to
Vista. If you are connecting by USB then simply plugging in the printer
should install the correct drivers. If you are connected with a parallel
connection (or the plug and play USB install did not work) then try Start,
Printers, Add Printer, select the proper port and select one of the HP
Deskjet 895 drivers from the list.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Ultimate & HP DeskJet-895
The 895 is a unique device since the same hardware ID is used for two
drivers
"HP DeskJet 895Cse" =
HPVDJ89E.GPD.ICM,HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJE09C,HP_DeskJet_895Cse ; Hardware ID
"HP DeskJet 895Cxi" =
HPVDJ89I.GPD.ICM,HEWLETT-PACKARDDESKJE09C,HP_DeskJet_895Cxi ; Hardware ID

This will force any PnP events into Client side install instead of Server
side (silent install).

You should see a dialog listing the two drivers, select the one you have.

Are you not seeing this dialog with the drivers list?

The drivers list dialog is also seen on W2k and XP.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
> "Paran0ia" <Paran0ia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone have a sure-fire way of getting an HP Deskjet-895 installed
>> under
>> Vista Ultimate.
>>
>> I have tried just about every way to get Vista to recognise this device
>> and
>> install the Driver for it.
>> It is one of several printers working with my desk-top (XP) machine, but
>> when I try to Add this printer to our new laptops - it persists in asking
>> for
>> a driver.
>>
>> 1- HP Support say "just plug it in" and imply that all will be fine -
>> rubbish!
>> 2- HP's only driver is a 'kernel-mode' beast and theirfor cannot be used.
>> 3- Microsoft Update doesn't off a comatible driver.

> The drivers for the HP Deskjet 895Cse and HP Deskjet 895Cxi are built in
> to Vista. If you are connecting by USB then simply plugging in the
> printer should install the correct drivers. If you are connected with a
> parallel connection (or the plug and play USB install did not work) then
> try Start, Printers, Add Printer, select the proper port and select one of
> the HP Deskjet 895 drivers from the list.
>
> Regards,
> Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

John

Re: Vista Ultimate & HP DeskJet-895
I don't mean to cross-post, but see my response above to the subject,
"Scanning/Copying."

John