Printer Setup Problem

John

Printer Setup Problem
I am having trouble setting up my printer, a HP DeskJet 5550, on my new
Vista machine. It runs through a Linksys WPS54G printer server. My old XP
machine, sitting right here next to me, prints through it with no
difficulties. I've tried everything I can think of. Can someone help me?

Malke

Re: Printer Setup Problem
John wrote:
> I am having trouble setting up my printer, a HP DeskJet 5550, on my new
> Vista machine. It runs through a Linksys WPS54G printer server. My old
> XP machine, sitting right here next to me, prints through it with no
> difficulties. I've tried everything I can think of. Can someone help me?

What does "everything I can think of" include?

General directions:

1. Install Vista drivers for the print server (get from print server
mftr's website) on the Vista computer.
2. Install Vista drivers for the printer (get from printer mftr.'s
website) on the Vista computer.

Does your print server support Vista? If not, there's your answer. If it
is supposed to, what does Linksys tech support say?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
John

Re: Printer Setup Problem
I've tried setting it up using the installation disks that came with the
print server and manually setting up a TCP/IP port (duplicating my XP
settings). As for it being "Vista ready", I have plugged the printer
directly into the computer (USB) and Vista installed the drivers and had me
printing in less than 2 minutes!

> John wrote:
>> I am having trouble setting up my printer, a HP DeskJet 5550, on my new
>> Vista machine. It runs through a Linksys WPS54G printer server. My old XP
>> machine, sitting right here next to me, prints through it with no
>> difficulties. I've tried everything I can think of. Can someone help me?

> What does "everything I can think of" include?
>
> General directions:
>
> 1. Install Vista drivers for the print server (get from print server
> mftr's website) on the Vista computer.
> 2. Install Vista drivers for the printer (get from printer mftr.'s
> website) on the Vista computer.
>
> Does your print server support Vista? If not, there's your answer. If it
> is supposed to, what does Linksys tech support say?
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: Printer Setup Problem
John wrote:
> I've tried setting it up using the installation disks that came with the
> print server and manually setting up a TCP/IP port (duplicating my XP
> settings). As for it being "Vista ready", I have plugged the printer
> directly into the computer (USB) and Vista installed the drivers and had
> me printing in less than 2 minutes!

Since the printer works when directly connected to the computer, you
know the issue is with the print server. Go to Linksys' website for the
latest drivers for the print server and download them. Also download any
firmware updates for the print server. Uninstall the print server
drivers you installed on the Vista machine first.

Apply the firmware update, if any.
Install the new drivers for the print server.

If still no joy, contact Linksys tech support for help with the print
server.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
John

Re: Printer Setup Problem
I'll try that as soon as I get home tomorrow night and will report back.
Thanks.

> John wrote:
>> I've tried setting it up using the installation disks that came with the
>> print server and manually setting up a TCP/IP port (duplicating my XP
>> settings). As for it being "Vista ready", I have plugged the printer
>> directly into the computer (USB) and Vista installed the drivers and had
>> me printing in less than 2 minutes!

> Since the printer works when directly connected to the computer, you know
> the issue is with the print server. Go to Linksys' website for the latest
> drivers for the print server and download them. Also download any firmware
> updates for the print server. Uninstall the print server drivers you
> installed on the Vista machine first.
>
> Apply the firmware update, if any.
> Install the new drivers for the print server.
>
> If still no joy, contact Linksys tech support for help with the print
> server.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

John

Re: Printer Setup Problem
Tried everything you recommended. Still no go. I'm at a dead end. The
printer works fine when plugged directly into the Vista machine.

> John wrote:
>> I've tried setting it up using the installation disks that came with the
>> print server and manually setting up a TCP/IP port (duplicating my XP
>> settings). As for it being "Vista ready", I have plugged the printer
>> directly into the computer (USB) and Vista installed the drivers and had
>> me printing in less than 2 minutes!

> Since the printer works when directly connected to the computer, you know
> the issue is with the print server. Go to Linksys' website for the latest
> drivers for the print server and download them. Also download any firmware
> updates for the print server. Uninstall the print server drivers you
> installed on the Vista machine first.
>
> Apply the firmware update, if any.
> Install the new drivers for the print server.
>
> If still no joy, contact Linksys tech support for help with the print
> server.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: Printer Setup Problem
John wrote:
> Tried everything you recommended. Still no go. I'm at a dead end. The
> printer works fine when plugged directly into the Vista machine.

Then I'm sorry, but aside from contacting Linksys tech support I don't
have any other suggestions.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
John

Re: Printer Setup Problem
I do appreciate your help. I'm about to contact Linksys's support and see if
they can help. Thanks!

> John wrote:
>> Tried everything you recommended. Still no go. I'm at a dead end. The
>> printer works fine when plugged directly into the Vista machine.

> Then I'm sorry, but aside from contacting Linksys tech support I don't
> have any other suggestions.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rednut05

Re: Printer Setup Problem

If this is for the wired Linksys print server. Then it does support
Vista 64.

Not 100% about Vista 32 as that's is not the OS I'm running.

I brought it to go between a Vista 64 and a XP machine. The XP machine
ran from it fine but the 64 bit didn't. Gave me some sort of error
message in the late stages of installing, I think it was I had to pair
the computer to the printer through the server.

In contacting Linksys I was told that they may release a 64 bit driver
but got given no date, just a maybe. I pressed for a estimate to no
avail.

So now we have two computers, two USB cables, one printer and a manual
swap over of the connected lead system going on. Most annoy as I have
£40 odd quid of box sitting next to me gathering dust.

I'm keeping it on the off chance there will be a driver as they erred
towards one coming out but didn't say where.

David

--
Rednut05