Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit

Dawn

Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
I have an HP 1300 laserjet connected by USB to a computer operating WinXP 32
bit and new HP laptop running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Both print if connected
directly to the printer but I want to have the Vista notebook print through
the network and the XP machnine. Currently when I "add a printer" it sees
the printer through the network but when I select the Vista x64 universal
printer driver folder downloaded from HP I get "winows can not locate a
suitable printer driver".
Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
Install the additional drivers on the box that has the printer connected.
Right click the printer name, Properties Sharing Additional drivers.
Then retry installing the printer on the notebook as a network printer.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP 1300 laserjet connected by USB to a computer operating
>WinXP 32
> bit and new HP laptop running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Both print if
> connected
> directly to the printer but I want to have the Vista notebook print
> through
> the network and the XP machnine. Currently when I "add a printer" it
> sees
> the printer through the network but when I select the Vista x64
> universal
> printer driver folder downloaded from HP I get "winows can not locate a
> suitable printer driver".

Dawn

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
thanks Tom,
I tried to to what you suggested on the computer running XP (that is
connected to the printer). In the 'additional drivers' box I can select from:
Windows NT
IA64 Win XP
Intel Win 2000 or XP
Intel Win 95 98 or ME
Intel Win NT 4.0 or 2000
x64 Win XP
There is no option for a Vista 64 driver (obviously).

When I try the IA64 Win XP and x64 Win XP selections I get the message:
"Unable to install hp laserjet 1300... window driver. Operation could not be
completed. I tried using both the PCL5 and PCL6 download from the HP site
for vista 62 bit. Both are 'Universal printer drivers'.
Any other suggestions?

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Install the additional drivers on the box that has the printer connected.
> Right click the printer name, Properties Sharing Additional drivers.
> Then retry installing the printer on the notebook as a network printer.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an HP 1300 laserjet connected by USB to a computer operating
> >WinXP 32
> > bit and new HP laptop running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Both print if
> > connected
> > directly to the printer but I want to have the Vista notebook print
> > through
> > the network and the XP machnine. Currently when I "add a printer" it
> > sees
> > the printer through the network but when I select the Vista x64
> > universal
> > printer driver folder downloaded from HP I get "winows can not locate a
> > suitable printer driver".

Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
install the printer driver on the notebook. Choose "File" as the port.
After the install is complete, try the network install again. It might
fail again. After that, click on the printer in the notebook printer
list, right click and check to see if there is a port listing for the
computer that has the printer attached. If so, choose it. Exit out of
driver settings. Try printing.

> thanks Tom,
> I tried to to what you suggested on the computer running XP (that is
> connected to the printer). In the 'additional drivers' box I can
> select from:
> Windows NT
> IA64 Win XP
> Intel Win 2000 or XP
> Intel Win 95 98 or ME
> Intel Win NT 4.0 or 2000
> x64 Win XP
> There is no option for a Vista 64 driver (obviously).
>
> When I try the IA64 Win XP and x64 Win XP selections I get the message:
> "Unable to install hp laserjet 1300... window driver. Operation could
> not be
> completed. I tried using both the PCL5 and PCL6 download from the HP
> site
> for vista 62 bit. Both are 'Universal printer drivers'.
> Any other suggestions?
>

> "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Install the additional drivers on the box that has the printer
>> connected.
>> Right click the printer name, Properties Sharing Additional drivers.
>> Then retry installing the printer on the notebook as a network
>> printer.
>>
>> Tom
>> MSMVP 1998-2007
>>
>> "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an HP 1300 laserjet connected by USB to a computer operating
>> >WinXP 32
>> > bit and new HP laptop running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Both print if
>> > connected
>> > directly to the printer but I want to have the Vista notebook print
>> > through
>> > the network and the XP machnine. Currently when I "add a printer"
>> > it
>> > sees
>> > the printer through the network but when I select the Vista x64
>> > universal
>> > printer driver folder downloaded from HP I get "winows can not
>> > locate a
>> > suitable printer driver".

Dawn

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
Thanks Tom but it still isn't working... the local printer installation
worked, so did connecting the printer directly to the notebook, (the install
happened automatically because it was connected by USB). But the network
install still comes back with "winows can not locate a suitable printer
driver" and there still isn't a port listing for the XP machine that has the
printer attached.
I have tried several different drivers from the HP site:
64 bit for Vista and 32 bit for Vista -- both are universal print drivers
XP driver
Which should I be trying? And any other suggestions?

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> install the printer driver on the notebook. Choose "File" as the port.
> After the install is complete, try the network install again. It might
> fail again. After that, click on the printer in the notebook printer
> list, right click and check to see if there is a port listing for the
> computer that has the printer attached. If so, choose it. Exit out of
> driver settings. Try printing.
>
> Tom
>
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>
> "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks Tom,
> > I tried to to what you suggested on the computer running XP (that is
> > connected to the printer). In the 'additional drivers' box I can
> > select from:
> > Windows NT
> > IA64 Win XP
> > Intel Win 2000 or XP
> > Intel Win 95 98 or ME
> > Intel Win NT 4.0 or 2000
> > x64 Win XP
> > There is no option for a Vista 64 driver (obviously).
> >
> > When I try the IA64 Win XP and x64 Win XP selections I get the message:
> > "Unable to install hp laserjet 1300... window driver. Operation could
> > not be
> > completed. I tried using both the PCL5 and PCL6 download from the HP
> > site
> > for vista 62 bit. Both are 'Universal printer drivers'.
> > Any other suggestions?
> >

> > "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Install the additional drivers on the box that has the printer
> >> connected.
> >> Right click the printer name, Properties Sharing Additional drivers.
> >> Then retry installing the printer on the notebook as a network
> >> printer.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> MSMVP 1998-2007

Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
On the 32 bit machine, use a 32 bit driver. On the 64 bit machine, use a
64 bit driver.

Sorry, I'm out of suggestions.

My printer is connected to a networked box which is running XP Pro 32
bit. I have computers on my network that print through it that run XP 64,
Vista 32, and Vista 64. It all works with no problems. So, I am
scratching my head over the problem you are experiencing. Perhaps Alan
will take note and be able to suggest something.

> Thanks Tom but it still isn't working... the local printer installation
> worked, so did connecting the printer directly to the notebook, (the
> install
> happened automatically because it was connected by USB). But the
> network
> install still comes back with "winows can not locate a suitable printer
> driver" and there still isn't a port listing for the XP machine that
> has the
> printer attached.
> I have tried several different drivers from the HP site:
> 64 bit for Vista and 32 bit for Vista -- both are universal print
> drivers
> XP driver
> Which should I be trying? And any other suggestions?
>

> "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> install the printer driver on the notebook. Choose "File" as the port.
>> After the install is complete, try the network install again. It might
>> fail again. After that, click on the printer in the notebook printer
>> list, right click and check to see if there is a port listing for the
>> computer that has the printer attached. If so, choose it. Exit out of
>> driver settings. Try printing.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> MSMVP 1998-2007
>>
>> "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks Tom,
>> > I tried to to what you suggested on the computer running XP (that is
>> > connected to the printer). In the 'additional drivers' box I can
>> > select from:
>> > Windows NT
>> > IA64 Win XP
>> > Intel Win 2000 or XP
>> > Intel Win 95 98 or ME
>> > Intel Win NT 4.0 or 2000
>> > x64 Win XP
>> > There is no option for a Vista 64 driver (obviously).
>> >
>> > When I try the IA64 Win XP and x64 Win XP selections I get the
>> > message:
>> > "Unable to install hp laserjet 1300... window driver. Operation
>> > could
>> > not be
>> > completed. I tried using both the PCL5 and PCL6 download from the
>> > HP
>> > site
>> > for vista 62 bit. Both are 'Universal printer drivers'.
>> > Any other suggestions?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
the x64 driver installed on the XP machine must be the same name at the x86
driver installed on the XP machine, when the driver names do not match, the
x64 machine will always prompt for the correct driver when making a
connection.

If you have the 1300 driver already installed on the x64 machine just add a
local printer, create a Local Port with the name
\\XPmachinename\printersharename

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On the 32 bit machine, use a 32 bit driver. On the 64 bit machine, use a
> 64 bit driver.
>
> Sorry, I'm out of suggestions.
>
> My printer is connected to a networked box which is running XP Pro 32 bit.
> I have computers on my network that print through it that run XP 64, Vista
> 32, and Vista 64. It all works with no problems. So, I am scratching my
> head over the problem you are experiencing. Perhaps Alan will take note
> and be able to suggest something.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>

> "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Tom but it still isn't working... the local printer installation
>> worked, so did connecting the printer directly to the notebook, (the
>> install
>> happened automatically because it was connected by USB). But the network
>> install still comes back with "winows can not locate a suitable printer
>> driver" and there still isn't a port listing for the XP machine that has
>> the
>> printer attached.
>> I have tried several different drivers from the HP site:
>> 64 bit for Vista and 32 bit for Vista -- both are universal print
>> drivers
>> XP driver
>> Which should I be trying? And any other suggestions?
>>

>> "Tom Ferguson" wrote:
>>
>>> install the printer driver on the notebook. Choose "File" as the port.
>>> After the install is complete, try the network install again. It might
>>> fail again. After that, click on the printer in the notebook printer
>>> list, right click and check to see if there is a port listing for the
>>> computer that has the printer attached. If so, choose it. Exit out of
>>> driver settings. Try printing.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> MSMVP 1998-2007

cybertech

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
When loading 64bit drivers, you have to use a 64bit machine when loading
them. Open printer properties, Sharing, Additional drivers, click x64, click
ok and install 64bit drivers. Hope this helps

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> the x64 driver installed on the XP machine must be the same name at the x86
> driver installed on the XP machine, when the driver names do not match, the
> x64 machine will always prompt for the correct driver when making a
> connection.
>
> If you have the 1300 driver already installed on the x64 machine just add a
> local printer, create a Local Port with the name
> \\XPmachinename\printersharename
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > On the 32 bit machine, use a 32 bit driver. On the 64 bit machine, use a
> > 64 bit driver.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm out of suggestions.
> >
> > My printer is connected to a networked box which is running XP Pro 32 bit.
> > I have computers on my network that print through it that run XP 64, Vista
> > 32, and Vista 64. It all works with no problems. So, I am scratching my
> > head over the problem you are experiencing. Perhaps Alan will take note
> > and be able to suggest something.
> >
> > Tom
> > MSMVP 1998-2007
> >

> > "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks Tom but it still isn't working... the local printer installation
> >> worked, so did connecting the printer directly to the notebook, (the
> >> install
> >> happened automatically because it was connected by USB). But the network
> >> install still comes back with "winows can not locate a suitable printer
> >> driver" and there still isn't a port listing for the XP machine that has
> >> the
> >> printer attached.
> >> I have tried several different drivers from the HP site:
> >> 64 bit for Vista and 32 bit for Vista -- both are universal print
> >> drivers
> >> XP driver
> >> Which should I be trying? And any other suggestions?

Dawn

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
Thanks for all the help!!!
OK... now I can send a page from the Vista 64 bit notebook to the HP
LaserJet 1300 connected to the XP computer but the printed page says:

PCL XL error
Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: Unsupported Protocol
Operator: 0x0
Position: 0

Now what is wrong?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> the x64 driver installed on the XP machine must be the same name at the x86
> driver installed on the XP machine, when the driver names do not match, the
> x64 machine will always prompt for the correct driver when making a
> connection.
>
> If you have the 1300 driver already installed on the x64 machine just add a
> local printer, create a Local Port with the name
> \\XPmachinename\printersharename
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > On the 32 bit machine, use a 32 bit driver. On the 64 bit machine, use a
> > 64 bit driver.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm out of suggestions.
> >
> > My printer is connected to a networked box which is running XP Pro 32 bit.
> > I have computers on my network that print through it that run XP 64, Vista
> > 32, and Vista 64. It all works with no problems. So, I am scratching my
> > head over the problem you are experiencing. Perhaps Alan will take note
> > and be able to suggest something.
> >
> > Tom
> > MSMVP 1998-2007
> >

> > "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks Tom but it still isn't working... the local printer installation
> >> worked, so did connecting the printer directly to the notebook, (the
> >> install
> >> happened automatically because it was connected by USB). But the network
> >> install still comes back with "winows can not locate a suitable printer
> >> driver" and there still isn't a port listing for the XP machine that has
> >> the
> >> printer attached.
> >> I have tried several different drivers from the HP site:
> >> 64 bit for Vista and 32 bit for Vista -- both are universal print
> >> drivers
> >> XP driver
> >> Which should I be trying? And any other suggestions?

cybertech

Re: Vista 64bit Printing to Printer on XP 32bit
Try the following solution and let me know

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ectID=bpl10637