Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007
Arend
 

Posts: n/a
faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax
I have vista ultimate but the most important software I use, winfax 10 pro,
does not work with vista. I have reinstalled XP. Can someone please help me
to find fax software equal to winfax, which runs on an ISDN modem???
I’ve searched the web but I can’t find anything. (don’t tell me about
Microsoft fax because this is the most worthless piece of fax software I have
ever seen)

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007
Andrew Rinaldi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax
On Oct 23, 9:35 am, Arend <Ar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have vista ultimate but the most important software I use, winfax 10 pro,
> does not work with vista. I have reinstalled XP. Can someone please help me
> to find fax software equal to winfax, which runs on an ISDN modem???
> I've searched the web but I can't find anything. (don't tell me about
> Microsoft fax because this is the most worthless piece of fax software I have
> ever seen)


Hi,

We have spent a lot of time resolving issues with Microsoft fax. Here
is a report which documents some of the test results using our IQ
Express fax board;

http://www.mainpine.com/downloads/Mi...t_final_.p df

WinFax development has ceased and so a Vista version is unlikely. If
Microsoft fax does not have the features that you require then we
publish a list of software that is compatible with our fax boards;

http://www.mainpine.com/software.html

We would be very happy to discuss your requirements in more depth;

+1 503 822 9944

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@mainpine.com | www.mainpine.com

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-23-2007
Mike Hall - MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax
This is precisely what has been said about MS FAX for the longest time. MS
Fax is ok for the occasional fax, and is a basic service. If you want more,
try Snappy Fax..

http://www.snappysoftware.com/

--
Mike Hall - MVP
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm



"Arend" <Arend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9BE2573B-DC52-4F8F-B9DD-A6F93DCFE550@microsoft.com...
>I have vista ultimate but the most important software I use, winfax 10 pro,
> does not work with vista. I have reinstalled XP. Can someone please help
> me
> to find fax software equal to winfax, which runs on an ISDN modem???
> I’ve searched the web but I can’t find anything. (don’t tell me about
> Microsoft fax because this is the most worthless piece of fax software I
> have
> ever seen)
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2007
Andrew Rinaldi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax
> This is precisely what has been said about MS FAX for the longest time. MS
> Fax is ok for the occasional fax, and is a basic service. >


Hi Mike,

Like many people we gave up on MS Fax and have historically
discouraged our customers from using it on our hardware. Indeed,
after almost five years of effort we eventually tired of trying to
work with Microsoft to resolve the problems in their T.30
implementation.... and it wasn't until our latest generation of
hardware that we had the additional processing capacity required on
our board to fix these issues in firmware.

We have tested MS Fax (XP, Vista, SBS, 2008) on our hardware with
hundreds of fax machines and I'm not aware of any incompatibility
issues. MS Fax does have some nice features including broadcasting
and it might be worth reconsidering this as a solution in future if it
meets your requirements. If not, then we do support all of the major
third party fax applications.

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@mainpine.com | www.mainpine.com

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax
Interesting thread. The inability of MS Fax products to work with many
common modems is legendary and is what has relegated it to a role as a minor
utility for the sending of an occasional fax by an end user lucky enough to
have a compatible modem. With Vista, Microsoft has now changed the landscape
by pulling its fax utility from those very users and making it available
only to business and enterprise users, who obviously need much more reliable
and robust fax functions.

Did your tests reveal any improvement with Vista's iteration of MS Fax over
previous versions, or are any such improvements merely the result of the
code you've been able to bake into your firmware? Should business and
enterprise users keep looking for other options than MS Fax? The ability to
integrate with Outlook as a database remains a frequent request from users.
In theory, Vista's WFS should have a leg up on that ability since Outlook is
"in house" for its developers.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Andrew Rinaldi" <andrew.rinaldi@mainpine.com> wrote in message
news:1193233076.350481.138320@i38g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
>> This is precisely what has been said about MS FAX for the longest time.
>> MS
>> Fax is ok for the occasional fax, and is a basic service. >

>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Like many people we gave up on MS Fax and have historically
> discouraged our customers from using it on our hardware. Indeed,
> after almost five years of effort we eventually tired of trying to
> work with Microsoft to resolve the problems in their T.30
> implementation.... and it wasn't until our latest generation of
> hardware that we had the additional processing capacity required on
> our board to fix these issues in firmware.
>
> We have tested MS Fax (XP, Vista, SBS, 2008) on our hardware with
> hundreds of fax machines and I'm not aware of any incompatibility
> issues. MS Fax does have some nice features including broadcasting
> and it might be worth reconsidering this as a solution in future if it
> meets your requirements. If not, then we do support all of the major
> third party fax applications.
>
> Regards
>
> ANDREW RINALDI
> Mainpine Developer Support
> USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
> andrew.rinaldi@mainpine.com | www.mainpine.com
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2007
Andrew Rinaldi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax
Apologies for the delayed response Russ, I missed your post somehow.

>Did your tests reveal any improvement with Vista's iteration of MS Fax over
>previous versions, or are any such improvements merely the result of the
>code you've been able to bake into your firmware? Should business and
>enterprise users keep looking for other options than MS Fax? The ability to
>integrate with Outlook as a database remains a frequent request from users.
>In theory, Vista's WFS should have a leg up on that ability since Outlook is
>"in house" for its developers.


In our testing of fax service Class 1 on Vista we did not detect any
improvements or bug fixes in regards to the underlying fax protocol.
We work around the Microsoft issues by using our fax service Class 2.0
interface which moves all of the fax protocol work onto our board, and
allows us to have a 'Microsoft Mode' which actively detects and
compensates for a number of bugs in their T.30 driver.

We have seen extremely good results from the Microsoft fax solutions
when testing on XP, Vista, SBS, and 2008. We have clients who are
deploying this today, and for the first time ever we have confidence
that it can provide a solid solution for business. Therefore, the
choice on whether to use a third party fax software solution can be
made on the feature set (the Microsoft Fax solutions are quite basic)
and not just because that's the only way to get a working solution.
Many of our software partners do provide advanced features such as
routing, V.34, JBIG, color, hi-res, and dynamic port control (the
ability to monitor the health of a port and reset it under software
control if required) which may be important to the end user.

My advice is to call our support manager, Derrek Sypert in the US
office. He can help you decide whether Microsoft Fax or a third party
fax solution has the right mix of features for the end user. Derrek's
team support something like thirty different fax applications from our
partners - companies like GFI, Equisys, Alt-N, FaxBack, and Data Tech
- and he is well placed to give you an honest opinion. You may also
like to know that we produce an 'ISV Test Report' for most of our
partners fax software, this is very similar to the Microsoft document
(see URL above), and can be obtained from the software vendor directly
or possibly from Mainpine (this may require an NDA from the software
vendor).

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@mainpine.com | www.mainpine.com

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax
Thanks. That's what I thought. Useful information for anyone considering
deploying WFS in a business environment.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Andrew Rinaldi" <andrew.rinaldi@mainpine.com> wrote in message
news:1193740333.899155.102510@o80g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
> Apologies for the delayed response Russ, I missed your post somehow.
>
>>Did your tests reveal any improvement with Vista's iteration of MS Fax
>>over
>>previous versions, or are any such improvements merely the result of the
>>code you've been able to bake into your firmware? Should business and
>>enterprise users keep looking for other options than MS Fax? The ability
>>to
>>integrate with Outlook as a database remains a frequent request from
>>users.
>>In theory, Vista's WFS should have a leg up on that ability since Outlook
>>is
>>"in house" for its developers.

>
> In our testing of fax service Class 1 on Vista we did not detect any
> improvements or bug fixes in regards to the underlying fax protocol.
> We work around the Microsoft issues by using our fax service Class 2.0
> interface which moves all of the fax protocol work onto our board, and
> allows us to have a 'Microsoft Mode' which actively detects and
> compensates for a number of bugs in their T.30 driver.
>
> We have seen extremely good results from the Microsoft fax solutions
> when testing on XP, Vista, SBS, and 2008. We have clients who are
> deploying this today, and for the first time ever we have confidence
> that it can provide a solid solution for business. Therefore, the
> choice on whether to use a third party fax software solution can be
> made on the feature set (the Microsoft Fax solutions are quite basic)
> and not just because that's the only way to get a working solution.
> Many of our software partners do provide advanced features such as
> routing, V.34, JBIG, color, hi-res, and dynamic port control (the
> ability to monitor the health of a port and reset it under software
> control if required) which may be important to the end user.
>
> My advice is to call our support manager, Derrek Sypert in the US
> office. He can help you decide whether Microsoft Fax or a third party
> fax solution has the right mix of features for the end user. Derrek's
> team support something like thirty different fax applications from our
> partners - companies like GFI, Equisys, Alt-N, FaxBack, and Data Tech
> - and he is well placed to give you an honest opinion. You may also
> like to know that we produce an 'ISV Test Report' for most of our
> partners fax software, this is very similar to the Microsoft document
> (see URL above), and can be obtained from the software vendor directly
> or possibly from Mainpine (this may require an NDA from the software
> vendor).
>
> Regards
>
> ANDREW RINALDI
> Mainpine Developer Support
> USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
> andrew.rinaldi@mainpine.com | www.mainpine.com
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2008
groucho
 

Posts: n/a
Re: faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax

This forum looks like a big multiple ad for Mainpipe. Actually, there is
no fax software that works with Windows Vista like WinFax works with
Windows XP. Pity.


--
groucho
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2008
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: faxing with windows vista ultimate and winfax
An interesting comment in as much as history has shown that WinFax versions
later than 9.x have all had significant problems with Windows XP (I have a
folder full of threads I've collected on WinFax issues since the release of
WinFax 10 and its usage on XP). Installing WinFax throughly trashes the
native XP Fax components. Symantec offers no support for the product.
Last, but not least, these products DO work under Vista:

Snappy Fax
http://www.snappysoftware.com/
RKSFax
http://www.rkssoftware.com/rksfax/overview.html
VentaFax
http://www.ventafax.com/
FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5
http://www.faxtalk.com/products/ftfcp/index.htm

I've seen reports that the free version of BVRP works with Vista also:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp
BVRP PhoneTools

Since the above comes bundled with new USR modems, I don't know if it will
work with non-USR modems. You can also send Faxes via your Internet
connection provided you are willing to pay for an Internet E-Faxing service:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/serv...tm#internetfax
Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
http://www.savetz.com/fax/
FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"groucho" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:233cefa448c6cab0763658dd144f4c36@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> This forum looks like a big multiple ad for Mainpipe. Actually, there is
> no fax software that works with Windows Vista like WinFax works with
> Windows XP. Pity.
>
>
> --
> groucho



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista and Winfax Trevor microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 6 06-04-2008 20:21
Windows Vista Faxing =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 16 04-21-2008 00:09
vista ultimate and faxing =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQgdA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 7 04-25-2007 05:06
Why is FAXing so poor in Vista Ultimate? David Sommers microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 15 04-22-2007 15:30
Vista HP compatible Faxing software smiliar to Windows fax... =?Utf-8?B?cG9saWVwb2xpZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 04-21-2007 20:04




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:23.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120