Cost of Vista

Chad C

Cost of Vista
Can someone please explain why Vista in any version cost is so high, 60% of
all devices used with XP wont work with Vista, I upgraded to Vista from XP
now I have to spend moree money on a fax program cause you only get it in
certain version of Vista, my usb flash drives wont work with Vista no
support, this puts the cost of Vsta well over $250.00 for upgrading, so far I
have not seen anything better about Vista over XP, I would return it to the
store but then you cant do that once its opened so then you spend more money
shipping it back to Microsoft wait weeks for a refund, I meen realy how much
money is enough?
Tom Ferguson

Re: Cost of Vista
OK I get that you are upset. However, it was you who purchased and
operating system without checking to see if it would work on the hardware
you had. It is the makers of the various bits of hardware that have the
primary responsibility to make sure their drivers work with a particular
operating system. Perhaps I have been fortunate but I have three
different systems that work very well with Vista 64. And yes, I did check
hardware compatibility before I changed to vista and did have to use a
different wired Internet card with one of the boxes.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Chad C" <Chad C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please explain why Vista in any version cost is so high,
> 60% of
> all devices used with XP wont work with Vista, I upgraded to Vista from
> XP
> now I have to spend moree money on a fax program cause you only get it
> in
> certain version of Vista, my usb flash drives wont work with Vista no
> support, this puts the cost of Vsta well over $250.00 for upgrading, so
> far I
> have not seen anything better about Vista over XP, I would return it to
> the
> store but then you cant do that once its opened so then you spend more
> money
> shipping it back to Microsoft wait weeks for a refund, I meen realy how
> much
> money is enough?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Cost of Vista
Chad

Try the fix on this web site

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600

To some degree, you have been unlucky. I have three different flash drives
and a Muvo, all of which are and have been recognized by Vista from day one.

Re Fax. I remember a time when the suggestion to use Windows Fax was greeted
with ridicule, that its simplicity made it useless for most. At this time,
people used BVRP Tools or Winfax/Pro. If my memory serves me correctly,
Windows Fax was not installed by default in Win 9x, the user having to find
two files on the installation CD and manually install them.

It is unfortunate that the Fax facility was removed from some Vista versions
and that BVRP and Winfax no longer work with Vista

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Chad C" <Chad C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please explain why Vista in any version cost is so high, 60%
> of
> all devices used with XP wont work with Vista, I upgraded to Vista from XP
> now I have to spend moree money on a fax program cause you only get it in
> certain version of Vista, my usb flash drives wont work with Vista no
> support, this puts the cost of Vsta well over $250.00 for upgrading, so
> far I
> have not seen anything better about Vista over XP, I would return it to
> the
> store but then you cant do that once its opened so then you spend more
> money
> shipping it back to Microsoft wait weeks for a refund, I meen realy how
> much
> money is enough?

Andrew Rinaldi

Re: Cost of Vista
On Oct 23, 3:33 pm, "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikeh...@mvps.com> wrote:
> Chad
>
> Try the fix on this web site
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941600
>
> To some degree, you have been unlucky. I have three different flash drives
> and a Muvo, all of which are and have been recognized by Vista from day one.
>
> Re Fax. I remember a time when the suggestion to use Windows Fax was greeted
> with ridicule, that its simplicity made it useless for most. At this time,
> people used BVRP Tools or Winfax/Pro. If my memory serves me correctly,
> Windows Fax was not installed by default in Win 9x, the user having to find
> two files on the installation CD and manually install them.
>
> It is unfortunate that the Fax facility was removed from some Vista versions
> and that BVRP and Winfax no longer work with Vista
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVPhttp://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
> Posting Productively..http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Chad C" <Chad C...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:4F3A8E2F-91B2-46E0-8FF9-EE7E52886918@microsoft.com...
>

> > Can someone please explain why Vista in any version cost is so high, 60%
> > of
> > all devices used with XP wont work with Vista, I upgraded to Vista from XP
> > now I have to spend moree money on a fax program cause you only get it in
> > certain version of Vista, my usb flash drives wont work with Vista no
> > support, this puts the cost of Vsta well over $250.00 for upgrading, so
> > far I
> > have not seen anything better about Vista over XP, I would return it to
> > the
> > store but then you cant do that once its opened so then you spend more
> > money
> > shipping it back to Microsoft wait weeks for a refund, I meen realy how
> > much
> > money is enough?- Hide quoted text -

Hi Mike,

You may be interested to know that we have spent a lot of time
resolving issues with Microsoft fax. Here is a report which documents
some of the test results using our IQ
Express fax board;

http://www.mainpine.com/downloads/Mi...t_final_.p df

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@mainpine.com | www.mainpine.com