photo print problem

GerN

photo print problem
Photos which appear fine on my monitor print OK at top and bottom but faint
with many horizontal striations in about 70% of the picture. This happens on
both an HP 6540 (color) and a Brother 5140 (B&W).
--
immature geezer
GerN

RE: photo print problem
BTW, a test print on the HP looks great, and printing documents or web pages
on the Brother is not a problem. I've tried printing some jpg files from
another Vista PC and have gotten the same flawed result.
--
immature geezer

"GerN" wrote:

> Photos which appear fine on my monitor print OK at top and bottom but faint
> with many horizontal striations in about 70% of the picture. This happens on
> both an HP 6540 (color) and a Brother 5140 (B&W).
> --
> immature geezer

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: photo print problem
Too many variables or unknowns here for me to give a good answer.

From which application are you printing?
What kind of paper (photo paper) are you using? HP paper on the HP and ???
on the Brother?
Are you using HP and Brother inks... or are they generic or refilled
cartridges?

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"GerN" <GerN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> BTW, a test print on the HP looks great, and printing documents or web
> pages
> on the Brother is not a problem. I've tried printing some jpg files from
> another Vista PC and have gotten the same flawed result.
> --
> immature geezer
>

> "GerN" wrote:
>
>> Photos which appear fine on my monitor print OK at top and bottom but
>> faint
>> with many horizontal striations in about 70% of the picture. This
>> happens on
>> both an HP 6540 (color) and a Brother 5140 (B&W).
>> --
>> immature geezer

GerN

Re: photo print problem
I'm printing from Windows Photo Gallery.
HP everyday photo paper on HP; HP everyday inkjet on the Brother.
HP and Brother OEM new cartridges.
Again, text is fine; jpg files bad: striated, lighter, blue-tinted except
for top and bottom. Photo printing was fine until just recently. No new
software or hardware.
--
immature geezer

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Too many variables or unknowns here for me to give a good answer.
>
> From which application are you printing?
> What kind of paper (photo paper) are you using? HP paper on the HP and ???
> on the Brother?
> Are you using HP and Brother inks... or are they generic or refilled
> cartridges?
>

> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "GerN" <GerN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > BTW, a test print on the HP looks great, and printing documents or web
> > pages
> > on the Brother is not a problem. I've tried printing some jpg files from
> > another Vista PC and have gotten the same flawed result.
> > --
> > immature geezer
> >

> > "GerN" wrote:
> >
> >> Photos which appear fine on my monitor print OK at top and bottom but
> >> faint
> >> with many horizontal striations in about 70% of the picture. This
> >> happens on
> >> both an HP 6540 (color) and a Brother 5140 (B&W).
> >> --
> >> immature geezer

GerN

Re: photo print problem
Problem solved: both printers ran out of ink or toner virtually
simultaneously. I could not find a way to check the ink cartridge in my HP
6540 except by replacing it. Under XP, I could do this.
--
immature geezer

"GerN" wrote:

> I'm printing from Windows Photo Gallery.
> HP everyday photo paper on HP; HP everyday inkjet on the Brother.
> HP and Brother OEM new cartridges.
> Again, text is fine; jpg files bad: striated, lighter, blue-tinted except
> for top and bottom. Photo printing was fine until just recently. No new
> software or hardware.
> --
> immature geezer
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Too many variables or unknowns here for me to give a good answer.
> >
> > From which application are you printing?
> > What kind of paper (photo paper) are you using? HP paper on the HP and ???
> > on the Brother?
> > Are you using HP and Brother inks... or are they generic or refilled
> > cartridges?
> >

> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "GerN" <GerN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > BTW, a test print on the HP looks great, and printing documents or web
> > > pages
> > > on the Brother is not a problem. I've tried printing some jpg files from
> > > another Vista PC and have gotten the same flawed result.
> > > --
> > > immature geezer

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: photo print problem
Glad to hear you're up and printing again.