Print Spooler Not Responding

Azn_Rice_Man

Print Spooler Not Responding
I just purchased a HP Pavilion PC with pre-loaded Windows Vista Home Premium
and tried to install a new printer... When I click on the "Add Printer"
button in the wizard, I get the error message indicating that the print
spooler is not started and it asks for me to either restart the service or
restart the computer. I have tried both solutions but neither worked, as I
still get the error when I click on the "Add Printer." Can someone help me
out here?
Malke

Re: Print Spooler Not Responding
Azn_Rice_Man wrote:
> I just purchased a HP Pavilion PC with pre-loaded Windows Vista Home Premium
> and tried to install a new printer... When I click on the "Add Printer"
> button in the wizard, I get the error message indicating that the print
> spooler is not started and it asks for me to either restart the service or
> restart the computer. I have tried both solutions but neither worked, as I
> still get the error when I click on the "Add Printer." Can someone help me
> out here?

Is there a reason you're using the Add Printer wizard instead of just
installing the printer drivers/software? Some printers (particularly
HPs) need you to install this way. What printer (make/model)? How is the
printer connected? Network? Local to some other computer on the network?
Local to your machine via USB?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Azn_Rice_Man

Re: Print Spooler Not Responding
Actually, I tried both methods of installing the printer... First trying to
use the CD's that came with the printer, then trying the "Add Printer". Both
methods end in the same situation: print spooler needs to be restarted. The
printer is the new Canon MX310, and it has not been connected yet, as it was
instructed to be connected only after installation of the software. It is
local to the computer via USB, as I don't run any networks.

Azn_Rice_Man wrote:
> Actually, I tried both methods of installing the printer... First trying to
> use the CD's that came with the printer, then trying the "Add Printer". Both
> methods end in the same situation: print spooler needs to be restarted. The
> printer is the new Canon MX310, and it has not been connected yet, as it was
> instructed to be connected only after installation of the software. It is
> local to the computer via USB, as I don't run any networks.

I would go to Canon's site and download the drivers from there. It is
likely that they are newer than the ones on the CD. Other than that, I'm
sorry but I don't know. Maybe try Canon tech support.

Good luck and I'm sorry that I didn't have a definitive answer for you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Gary

RE: Print Spooler Not Responding
I'm having the exact same problem with an HP Pavilion PC and an HP all-in-one
printer. The printer worked for 2 months but I just receiver the same print
spooler error. I called HP Tech Support and was on the phone with them for 4
hours over 2 days and we tried everything, but in the end they suggested that
I restore the machine to factory settings (which I'm hoping to avoid). Have
you had any luck solving this problem? Thanks - Gary