How to connect to XP Remote Printer from Vista

Makarand

How to connect to XP Remote Printer from Vista
I am trying to remotely access an HP All-in-One printer connected to a
Windows XP Pro notebook from a desktop computer running Windows Vista
Home Premium. Seems simple enough -- Add Printer, Network printer etc.
but the Vista computer just does not see the printer although it is
shared and I have followed basic instructions to enable security
policies etc. on the XP machine. I have seen similar topics posted on
this group and elsewhere but haven't found a workable solution yet.
Any help will be appreciated.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How to connect to XP Remote Printer from Vista
File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

On Oct 19, 4:05 pm, "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfri...@nospamgmail.com>
wrote:
> File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vistahttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Makarand" <mnalgir...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1192823774.482037.238130@i38g2000prf.g ooglegroups.com...
>
> I am trying to remotely access an HP All-in-One printer connected to a
> Windows XP Pro notebook from a desktop computer running Windows Vista
> Home Premium. Seems simple enough -- Add Printer, Network printer etc.
> but the Vista computer just does not see the printer although it is
> shared and I have followed basic instructions to enable security
> policies etc. on the XP machine. I have seen similar topics posted on
> this group and elsewhere but haven't found a workable solution yet.
> Any help will be appreciated.

I had followed the instructions in the link step-by-step before the
post. Even though both the computers are under workgroup "WORKGROUP",
I cannot see the XP notebook from the VISTA desktop and vice versa.
Could that be the root of my problem? How do I fix this?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: How to connect to XP Remote Printer from Vista
how do the machines obtain their IP or network addresses?

in a command window run
ipconfig /all

make sure they have the same subnet address.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

news:1193063646.017536.50390@i38g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...