Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer

axjul

Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
This is what the Canon tech support suggests:

"If you didn’t already try, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the
driver so that you have the antivirus software and firewall off while
installing."

I guess the implication is that the printer should be installed while all
antivirus and firewall software is disabled... so much for making things easy
for the consumer...

huwyngr

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
In article <036339BD-5AD0-4DDF-B941-21D2F22E8083@microsoft.com>, Axjul
wrote:

> I guess the implication is that the printer should be installed while all*
> antivirus and firewall software is disabled...

That's not uncommon and not just for printers -- Microsoft recommend it
often for updates and installations.

I've had installations fail due to an AV program treating a file as suspect
during installation.

axjul@hotmail.com

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
Tried what Canon tech support suggest - uninstalled the printer,
disabled anti-virus software and Vista firawall and installed printer
again. SAME problem persists. Printing to the network printer through
the Vista firewall is still EXCRUCIATINGLY slow, but almost
instantaneous with the firewall disabled!! HELP....

In article <1192900419.361730.123250@i38g2000prf.googlegroups .com>,
wrote:

> Printing to the network printer through
> the Vista firewall is still EXCRUCIATINGLY slow, but almost
> instantaneous with the firewall disabled!! HELP....

I've no experience of Canon printers, network connections for printers
nor of the VISTA Firewall which I turned off since I have my system
behind a Router and I am using Norton 360 at the moment (NIS2008 soon,
when the N360 year runs out).

I can only suggest turning off the VISTA firewall and looking for an
alternative software firewall if you really want one.

The only other thing I can think of, and as I say I have never used a
networked printer, except when the printer is connected to another PC
that is networked to my VISTA one and then you have to install printer
driver on the VISTA one as a local printer which may seem illogical.

And also whether you have to give the VISTA PC to which the printer is
networked an IP address, if that is the right term, for the printer.

BTW -- what country are you located in? I can't trace the LBP5000 on
the Canon USA site and the Australian site throws up an error when
going to the downloads page for the LBP5000 there. What I was looking
for was to see if they had the same superb document you could download
with detailed illustrated of exactly how to set it up, step by step. I
found this recently for another Canon printer and it's superb.

axjul

Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
The LBP5000 is sold in Europe. I did get the great installation documentation
and Canon tech support has gone through the motions. However ,neither
Microsoft nor Canon are solving the problem. Microsoft says that it's a
poorly written driver Canon says it's Vista's firewall and neither really
seems to care.

There are plenty of other people out there with the same or related
problems. Makes you kind of wonder...
huwyngr

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
Thanks for the clarification.

I can only suggest disabling the VISTA firewall and using something
that doesn't get in the way.

John Bryntze

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
I'm not sure it is a driver/firewall problem.
I think this could be related to the new QoS that Vista provides and with
hardware not supporting it slows down.

Try to disable "Window Auto-Tuning"
Help can be found here to do that.
http://john.bryntze.net/jbkb/index.p...Introdu ction

In article <ECE1FC5B-45CC-4381-BACC-3E2CF11FF7AC@microsoft.com>, John
Bryntze wrote:

> I'm not sure it is a driver/firewall problem.
> I think this could be related to the new QoS that Vista provides and with*
> hardware not supporting it slows down.

Who's sure of anything with VISTA? <g>

It isn't my problem luckily -- I was dealing with the general problem of
installing -- but it certainly is widespread.

mocax

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer

Sorry for the resurrection
Found a fix for the firewall thing blocking LBP5000's print server by
checking netstat.

You've to open an outgoing TCP (not UDP) port 3756 to your print
server.
I guess Canon's printing software behaved sort of like a trojan by
using undeclared ports

--
mocax
huwyngr

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
Thanks for the feedback.