Vista Print Spooler dies

Westperson

Vista Print Spooler dies
I have a problem that for no apparent reason my Print Spooler dies, it seems
to have started back in March when I tried to
install the VISTA drivers my DELL 920 and 922 all in one printers.

I have since removed them and also run the DELL cleanup utility but the
spooler
dies occasionally. I have run Windows defender full check and full virus
scan, all come up clean.

I have recently installed a new Canon ip2500 printer which is working fine
so far
although I did have to restart the spooler 3 times during the installation.

I have 3 printers that I assume are virtual.
ADOBE PDF, Family Tree Maker Printer and Microsoft XPS Document writer. Is
one of these the problem and how do I resolve the problem?

I have removed the 3 virtual printers, however the Family Tree Maker
Printer reappeared once I started the application.

There are references to the Dell printers in the registry and Vista
tries to start a Dell program (dlbkmgr.exe) from a folder in program files
which no longer exists. I found this after running HiJackThis.

Last week (Friday) I had continual spooler fails, I had to regularly
restart the spooler manually using Services. The FTM printer was there still
but sometime the printer folder was empty and info only re-appeared when I
restarted the spooler which then died. Unable to delete the FTM printer as
it requires spooler to be running to do it, catch-22.

I shut the machine down as I was going out and when I started it again 2
hours later no spooler errors! I have deleted the FTM printer and
this worked, I now have just 2 printers showing the canon and an HP DeskJet
840C/841C/842C/843C which is at my house in France so is not connected.

I would also add that on some occasions over the 2 weeks my PC has not
started correctly, it stops after logging on requiring a reboot and safe
mode option. Most cases I opted for full start except that last week it
would not start at all and I had to do a system restore which seems to have
solved this problem.

Any ideas please.

Peter

DellCA

Re: Vista Print Spooler dies

Hello,

This is John, a customer advocate at Dell headquarters.

My first suspiscion is that something is killing that spooler. To test
this, I recommend following the instrucions in this Microsoft KB
article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

If it is another process or service causing the problem, you should be
able to figure out which one it is by following the instructions in
that article.

If that does nothing, let me know.

John
Dell Customer Advocate

--
DellCA
DellCA's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=20193

http://forums.techarena.in

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Print Spooler dies
Hi John, thanks for checking in here. Please return and post any hints and
support tips you have regarding the installation of the Dell print devices.
There is an XP print fax scan newsgroup as well.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"DellCA" <DellCA.2yvg7d@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
newsellCA.2yvg7d@DoNotSpam.com...

> Hello,
>
> This is John, a customer advocate at Dell headquarters.
>
> My first suspiscion is that something is killing that spooler. To test
> this, I recommend following the instrucions in this Microsoft KB
> article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
>
> If it is another process or service causing the problem, you should be
> able to figure out which one it is by following the instructions in
> that article.
>
> If that does nothing, let me know.
>
> John
> Dell Customer Advocate
>

> --
> DellCA
> DellCA's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=20193
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=834991
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

DellCA

Re: Vista Print Spooler dies

Thanks for the heads up. I try to keep one eye on these boards, but if
you run across anything you think I can help with, feel free to fire an
PM at me.

John
Dell Customer Advocate

--
DellCA
DellCA's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=20193
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=834991

http://forums.techarena.in

Westperson

Re: Vista Print Spooler dies
John,

Thanks for the suggested line of attack. At present it is all stable, I have
followed advice from MS and I am no longer shutting down my laptop, I use
Sleep/Hibernate. I have had to reboot twice in the last week and it has
worked OK.

Peter

"DellCA" <DellCA.2yyx7e@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
newsellCA.2yyx7e@DoNotSpam.com...

> Thanks for the heads up. I try to keep one eye on these boards, but if
> you run across anything you think I can help with, feel free to fire an
> PM at me.
>
> John
> Dell Customer Advocate
>

> --
> DellCA
> DellCA's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=20193
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=834991
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

DellCA

Re: Vista Print Spooler dies

Peter-

I'm glad all was worked out. If you need anything from us, let me
know!

John
Dell Customer Advocate