Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer

axjul

Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
Printing from my Vista Business laptop to Canon LBP5000 network printer in
any application takes 130 seconds to start when the Windows firewall is ON.
When I disable the firewall the same job prints instantly.

I have the newest Canon driver and all the Windows updates are current.

When I print the same job to the same network printer on my other laptop
running Win XPSP2, also with the Windows firewall enabled, the job prints
instantly.

This seems like a Vista firewall issue. Does anyone have a solution? Please
advise!
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
From another post, I think Canon is performing some work through the
firewall. I forwarded the information to one of the Canon driver testers
but they were unaware of this issue.

Hi all,

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"axjul" <axjul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Printing from my Vista Business laptop to Canon LBP5000 network printer in
> any application takes 130 seconds to start when the Windows firewall is
> ON.
> When I disable the firewall the same job prints instantly.
>
> I have the newest Canon driver and all the Windows updates are current.
>
> When I print the same job to the same network printer on my other laptop
> running Win XPSP2, also with the Windows firewall enabled, the job prints
> instantly.
>
> This seems like a Vista firewall issue. Does anyone have a solution?
> Please
> advise!

axjul

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
I rolled back the windows update KB935807 (& restarted) but the printer still
needs 130 seconds to start printing. I then turned the Vista firewall off
and it starts printing instantly (no endless spooling and waiting for printer
to respond!)...

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> From another post, I think Canon is performing some work through the
> firewall. I forwarded the information to one of the Canon driver testers
> but they were unaware of this issue.
>

> Hi all,
>

> > The problem for my LBP5000 was caused by the windows update KB935807

> > (MS07-038). After rolling back the system to a state before this

> > update printing behaviour is normal.

> > Regards

> > blacky

> > "blacky" wrote:

> > > Hi all,

> > > I have the same problem with a Canon LBP5000 (connected via USB and

> > > not shared in the network). The problem appears after an automatic

> > > Windows or

> > > Office2007 update (but I don't know which one).

> > > Reinstallation of the driver does not help (just for the first print
> > > out).

> > > The firewall exception for the Canon RPC Server is active (checked).

> > > After deactivating the firewall behaviour is normal.

> > > I think the problem is related to a security update, does anyone

> > > know which one?

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "axjul" <axjul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Printing from my Vista Business laptop to Canon LBP5000 network printer in
> > any application takes 130 seconds to start when the Windows firewall is
> > ON.
> > When I disable the firewall the same job prints instantly.
> >
> > I have the newest Canon driver and all the Windows updates are current.
> >
> > When I print the same job to the same network printer on my other laptop
> > running Win XPSP2, also with the Windows firewall enabled, the job prints
> > instantly.
> >
> > This seems like a Vista firewall issue. Does anyone have a solution?
> > Please
> > advise!

lupin1965

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
Gentlemen,
I would like to know if there are any updates on this issue. I run Vista
Home Premium and use a Canon LBP5000 via Ethernet through a D-Link router
(TCP/IP). I experience the same issues, slow responsivness of the Canon
printer driver and printer status if the Windows Firewall is set to on.

The Firewall set exception are:
Canon CAPT Port 3756 UDP
Canon CAPT Port 49169 UDP
Canon LBP5000 RPC Server Process (file C:\Windows\System32\CNAC4RPK.EXE)

HOWEVER IF the Windows Firewall is set to OFF the printer works like a breeze.

I believe the issue is caused by the interaction of the Canon SW and Windows
Vista Firewall, but I have no other clues at present.

I checked and I have KB935807 installed, too. Shall I try to take it out? Or
is there any other feedbak you can provide?
Thank you
axjul

Re: Vista Business - extremely SLOW printing on network printer
Downloaded the newest Canon LBP 5000 driver today (Jan.27.2008), R1.11 from
http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010308.asp , removed the printer,
removed all Vista firewall printer entries, installed the newest driver and
THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM! Now the printer prints through the Vista firewall
like a breeze.