Vista + HP PSC 2410 Incomplete Printing

wxforecaster

Vista + HP PSC 2410 Incomplete Printing
I really hope someone can help me here because I'm at wits end.

I have an HP PSC 2410 All in one printer which I've had since 2005.
The print/scanner/fax all worked wonderfully with XP. With Vista, we
lost the HP software from which you could print, fax, scan, but I can
live with that.

However, my printer still fails to operate correctly. It is connected
by USB and installed with the Vista included PSC 2400 Series driver.
The printer is recognized and documents are sent to the printer
correctly. However, about 30-90% of the way through most documents
(one 1 or 2 pages), the printer pauses, resumes after a few seconds,
spits out the current page, and prints the remainder on the beginning
of a new sheet of paper.

I simply don't get it. Same documents print no problem with the same
printer on XP. I have searched the web endlessly (maybe searching
under the wrong key words???) and can't find any related articles.
Considering this an extremely widely used printer series, I figured I
would have found something if this was an HP issue or something
widespread.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Evan

Rob

Re: Vista + HP PSC 2410 Incomplete Printing

"wxforecaster" <ebookbinder@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:1192479110.453006.105780@e34g2000pro.googlegr oups.com...
> I really hope someone can help me here because I'm at wits end.
>
> I have an HP PSC 2410 All in one printer which I've had since 2005.
> The print/scanner/fax all worked wonderfully with XP. With Vista, we
> lost the HP software from which you could print, fax, scan, but I can
> live with that.
>
> However, my printer still fails to operate correctly. It is connected
> by USB and installed with the Vista included PSC 2400 Series driver.
> The printer is recognized and documents are sent to the printer
> correctly. However, about 30-90% of the way through most documents
> (one 1 or 2 pages), the printer pauses, resumes after a few seconds,
> spits out the current page, and prints the remainder on the beginning
> of a new sheet of paper.
>
> I simply don't get it. Same documents print no problem with the same
> printer on XP. I have searched the web endlessly (maybe searching
> under the wrong key words???) and can't find any related articles.
> Considering this an extremely widely used printer series, I figured I
> would have found something if this was an HP issue or something
> widespread.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Evan

First try installing latest driver for Vista from HP website here. Just
Choose your Model:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...x=8&submit.y=5

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

wxforecaster

Re: Vista + HP PSC 2410 Incomplete Printing
Rob,

Did you happen to actually click this link?

"The driver solution for this product is included in your Windows
Vista operating system and is already on your computer. There is no
need to download anything. Follow the steps below to quickly and
easily get your product working with Windows Vista."

Hence, back to my original post....

news:1192495756.228880.326400@k35g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...
> Rob,
>
> Did you happen to actually click this link?
>
> "The driver solution for this product is included in your Windows
> Vista operating system and is already on your computer. There is no
> need to download anything. Follow the steps below to quickly and
> easily get your product working with Windows Vista."
>
> Hence, back to my original post....
>
> Evan

Sorry Evan no I didn't. I just presumed HP would supply a downloadable
driver for your product. That'll teach me to not click on my own links.

By saying the drivers are already included with Vista looks like HP will not
be developing those particular drivers any further. Also on further reading
you've obviously lost the more advanced features of the software, and HP
recommend upgrading your printer to resolve this.

In this case if HP reckon you have the latest driver and the printer is
working correctly (present problem aside) then I don't think this a driver
issue. What about the advanced features you've lost, could it have something
to do with that? Hopefully somebody else will have a suggestion.

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

huwyngr

Re: Vista + HP PSC 2410 Incomplete Printing
In article <1192479110.453006.105780@e34g2000pro.googlegroups .com>,
Wxforecaster wrote:

> With Vista, we
> lost the HP software from which you could print, fax, scan, but I can
> live with that.

I've gotten several printer, on my PCs and on others, working under
VISTA using the XP software and installing it using Compatibility mode
set to [XP with SP2] and also invoking Run as Administrator.

You do this by downloading the XP installation software from their
website, or using the CD that contains it but do not let it AutoRun,
and right mouse clicking on the file that starts the installation --
the file you downloaded or perhaps setup.exe on the CD -- selecting
Properties and on the Compatibility check the Compatibility mode and
check the box against [X] Run as Administrator.

You may still have some scanning problems if VISTA's Windows Image
Acquisition WIA does not talk to the scanner but maybe not -- which
version of VISTA do you have? Not all include the built in Scan
facility.

You will need to remove all traces of any HP software for the printer
that my have been installed already and delete any icons for it in the
Printers folder. If it's USB connected make sure you unplug the USB
cable for the device from the PC itself or Windows will take over
before HP can and install the in the box driver that you have at
present.

Good luck and let us know how you get on or if you need help on any of
these points.

jps