Scan Button Event

Minus Zero

Scan Button Event
The problem i have is with a canon PIXMA MP600. I can't for some reason
change the program that handle scan events. Here's what happens when i try:

I click Control Panel, Scanners and Cameras, double click WIA Canon MP600,
Then the Events Tab, Select "Save To PC (Colour Button)", Then change the
radio box from "Prompt for which program to run" to "Start This Program (MP
Navigator Ver3.0)", Then I Click OK, I Then get a dialog box as detailed
below:

Title: Event Registration Failed
Body: The attempt to change the register event handler failed. Please make
sure the device is turned on and connected properly.
Buttons Available: OK Only

Its parent process is ImagingDevices.exe running on Windows Vista Home
Premium 32-bit.

My device is on and firmly plugged in. I have tried re-installing the
drivers twice. one with and once without full re-boot.

Canon are denying it is a problem with their software or drivers but seeing
as the guy had never touched vista in his life i hold this as opinion not
fact.

Was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

L. Whiting
Rob

Re: Scan Button Event

"Minus Zero" <Minus Zero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The problem i have is with a canon PIXMA MP600. I can't for some reason
> change the program that handle scan events. Here's what happens when i
> try:
>
> I click Control Panel, Scanners and Cameras, double click WIA Canon MP600,
> Then the Events Tab, Select "Save To PC (Colour Button)", Then change the
> radio box from "Prompt for which program to run" to "Start This Program
> (MP
> Navigator Ver3.0)", Then I Click OK, I Then get a dialog box as detailed
> below:
>
> Title: Event Registration Failed
> Body: The attempt to change the register event handler failed. Please make
> sure the device is turned on and connected properly.
> Buttons Available: OK Only
>
> Its parent process is ImagingDevices.exe running on Windows Vista Home
> Premium 32-bit.
>
> My device is on and firmly plugged in. I have tried re-installing the
> drivers twice. one with and once without full re-boot.
>
> Canon are denying it is a problem with their software or drivers but
> seeing
> as the guy had never touched vista in his life i hold this as opinion not
> fact.
>
> Was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> L. Whiting

Try re-installing MP Navigator or go here for updated software

http://support.epson-europe.com/onli...00-00100-00100

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Rob

Re: Scan Button Event

"Minus Zero" <Minus Zero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The problem i have is with a canon PIXMA MP600. I can't for some reason
> change the program that handle scan events. Here's what happens when i
> try:
>
> I click Control Panel, Scanners and Cameras, double click WIA Canon MP600,
> Then the Events Tab, Select "Save To PC (Colour Button)", Then change the
> radio box from "Prompt for which program to run" to "Start This Program
> (MP
> Navigator Ver3.0)", Then I Click OK, I Then get a dialog box as detailed
> below:
>
> Title: Event Registration Failed
> Body: The attempt to change the register event handler failed. Please make
> sure the device is turned on and connected properly.
> Buttons Available: OK Only
>
> Its parent process is ImagingDevices.exe running on Windows Vista Home
> Premium 32-bit.
>
> My device is on and firmly plugged in. I have tried re-installing the
> drivers twice. one with and once without full re-boot.
>
> Canon are denying it is a problem with their software or drivers but
> seeing
> as the guy had never touched vista in his life i hold this as opinion not
> fact.
>
> Was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> L. Whiting

Sorry wrong link try here

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...k& cd=1&gl=uk

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

inbox7

Re: Scan Button Event

I have the same problem. Just bought a Canon MP530 and am trying to
configure the Color and B&W scan buttons but keep getting the error
"Event registration failed."

It happened on both my laptop (Toshiba M400) and new desktop. Both are
running Windows Vista Ultimate. I downloaded the latest drivers and
software from Canon but it didn't fix the problem.

I suspect its a bug with Vista. Anybody have any idea how to fix?

--
inbox7
inbox7's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=33434

http://forums.techarena.in

PaulM-D

Re: Scan Button Event
I have the same problem - different scanner and different drivers. Here's my
posting describing it:

I recently installed Nuance PaperPort 11 for Vista onto my computer. I also
installed the Vista drivers for my HP ScanJet 5590.

I should be able to assign the five buttons on the front of the 5590 using
the Events tab on the Scanners and Cameras Control Panel applet in Vista to
launch PaperPort from any of those buttons. I should then be able to assign
particular scan profiles for each of those buttons from the Oprions/Buttons
menus in PaperPort. The latter cannot be done without the former!

However, when I attempt to change the Action on the Event menu in the
Control Panel applet, I receive an "Event registration failed" error that
states, "The attempt to change the registered event handler failed. Please
make sure the device is turned on and connected properly."

The device is turned on and connected properly and functions.

"inbox7" wrote:

> I have the same problem. Just bought a Canon MP530 and am trying to
> configure the Color and B&W scan buttons but keep getting the error
> "Event registration failed."
>
> It happened on both my laptop (Toshiba M400) and new desktop. Both are
> running Windows Vista Ultimate. I downloaded the latest drivers and
> software from Canon but it didn't fix the problem.
>
> I suspect its a bug with Vista. Anybody have any idea how to fix?
>

> --
> inbox7
> inbox7's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=33434
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=834151
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

daled

Re: Scan Button Event

I have the same problem with a Cannon Canoscan 8800F that I just
installed. From reading elsewhere others have reported that it may be a
registry permissions problem where one of the registry keys does not
have the right permission to allow changes. However, I've not found any
such problems yet, and other references on the web do not mention
specific registry keys.

--
daled
daled's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/daled.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

elzingap

Re: Scan Button Event

@daled:

Great solution! Thank you for finding out what the problem was. It is
indeed the permissions to a registry key. The key I had to change
permissions for is slightly different (I also have a CanonScan 8800F):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro
l\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\000*4*.
I did not have an Events subkey, so I changed permissions of the key
above and all of the subkeys.

kind regards,

Peter Elzinga

--
elzingap
elzingap's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/elzingap.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-print-fax/834151.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

dschen

Re: Scan Button Event

I have exactly the same problem as outlined above (Event Registration
Failed, etc.)

I was delighted to find the solution posted by daled and elzingap.
However, in attempting to implement the solution I'm not sure I know how
to set the permissions to allow LOCAL SERVICE full permission. I'm
using Windows Vista Home Premium.

I right clicked on the key and its subkeys in the Registry Editor, then
clicked on Permissions... The Group or user names listed are: CREATOR
OWNER, SYSTEM, Administrators (Owner-PC\Administration), and Users
(Owner-PC\Users). When I click on the Advanced button and then Edit,
there are check marks in the Allow boxes but they are greyed out. I
have to go up to SYSTEM before I get to Allow boxes that aren't greyed
out. But all of these show Allow as well.

Am I in the wrong area? Should I be looking elsewhere for LOCAL
SERVICE to set full permission?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Don

--
dschen
dschen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/112841.htm