Too Many Choices

James

Too Many Choices
Hello,

I want to buy a new "All in One" printer that must have the following
features:

1. Individual tanks for black and each of the three primary colors.

2. The ability to print the information normally hand scribed/written on
personal checks (Date, Pay to the Order of, Number Amount, Word Amount, and
information on the For line) on one individual check, 2 3/4" High by 5 1/2"
Wide.

3. The ability to print on printable CDs and DVDs.

4. A Printing Preferences pop up window that includes double sided
printing, the ability to change print quality options, and a print preview
(allows me to cancel printing if the finished product is not desirable) --
all these, plus others, were available on my present Epson Stylus CX6400 All
in One printer with Windows XP, but not available with Windows Vista Home
Premium.

My present printer does not print on CDs and DVDs, and does not allow
printing on paper as small as personal checks. I have devised a "work
around" on the check printing using a business size envelope with a "cut
out" on the front to allow checks to be printed, but it is taking a beating
and too time consuming to create.

I have "looked around" on the internet and in the computer departments of
some local stores, but so far no luck on a suitable replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

James

Rob

Re: Too Many Choices

"James" <James@home> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I want to buy a new "All in One" printer that must have the following
> features:
>
> 1. Individual tanks for black and each of the three primary colors.
>
> 2. The ability to print the information normally hand scribed/written on
> personal checks (Date, Pay to the Order of, Number Amount, Word Amount,
> and information on the For line) on one individual check, 2 3/4" High by 5
> 1/2" Wide.
>
> 3. The ability to print on printable CDs and DVDs.
>
> 4. A Printing Preferences pop up window that includes double sided
> printing, the ability to change print quality options, and a print preview
> (allows me to cancel printing if the finished product is not desirable) --
> all these, plus others, were available on my present Epson Stylus CX6400
> All in One printer with Windows XP, but not available with Windows Vista
> Home Premium.
>
> My present printer does not print on CDs and DVDs, and does not allow
> printing on paper as small as personal checks. I have devised a "work
> around" on the check printing using a business size envelope with a "cut
> out" on the front to allow checks to be printed, but it is taking a
> beating and too time consuming to create.
>
> I have "looked around" on the internet and in the computer departments of
> some local stores, but so far no luck on a suitable replacement.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
>
> James

How about this one

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...yp e=Overview

I use the one below it RX560 which is great.

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Rob

Re: Too Many Choices

"Rob" <un@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "James" <James@home> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to buy a new "All in One" printer that must have the following
>> features:
>>
>> 1. Individual tanks for black and each of the three primary colors.
>>
>> 2. The ability to print the information normally hand scribed/written on
>> personal checks (Date, Pay to the Order of, Number Amount, Word Amount,
>> and information on the For line) on one individual check, 2 3/4" High by
>> 5 1/2" Wide.
>>
>> 3. The ability to print on printable CDs and DVDs.
>>
>> 4. A Printing Preferences pop up window that includes double sided
>> printing, the ability to change print quality options, and a print
>> preview (allows me to cancel printing if the finished product is not
>> desirable) -- all these, plus others, were available on my present Epson
>> Stylus CX6400 All in One printer with Windows XP, but not available with
>> Windows Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> My present printer does not print on CDs and DVDs, and does not allow
>> printing on paper as small as personal checks. I have devised a "work
>> around" on the check printing using a business size envelope with a "cut
>> out" on the front to allow checks to be printed, but it is taking a
>> beating and too time consuming to create.
>>
>> I have "looked around" on the internet and in the computer departments of
>> some local stores, but so far no luck on a suitable replacement.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
>>
>> James

> How about this one
>
> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...yp e=Overview
>
> I use the one below it RX560 which is great.
>
> Rob
>
> --
> Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.
>
> Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
> P4 3.0GHz
> 1GB RAM
> Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
> ATI Radeon 9800 XT
> Creative SB Audigy 2

Might be better link )

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63059193

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

James

Re: Too Many Choices
Rob,

Thanks for your input, but according to the web site at Epson for the RX580,
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...egory=Products,
the paper size range under the heading, Paper Sizes, is user definable
(3.5"-44" in length), which I'm assuming is the minimum width and maximum
length. Above that information is a heading entitled Maximum Paper Size and
reads 8.5" x 44".

It appears the RX580 may have the same limitation on paper width as my
present printer -- 3.5" -- and when I try to print a personal check on my
printer, the check either comes out "slanted" or hangs up inside the
machine -- neither of which makes a fun day.

Also, I could see nothing concerning the ability to perform double sided
printing.

Does your RX580 "squeeze down" enough to allow personal checks (2 3/4" x 5
1/2") to be printed and does it allow double sided printing?

Thanks again.
-----

> [...]
>>> available with Windows Vista Home Premium.
>>>
>>> My present printer does not print on CDs and DVDs, and does not allow
>>> printing on paper as small as personal checks. I have devised a "work
>>> around" on the check printing using a business size envelope with a "cut
>>> out" on the front to allow checks to be printed, but it is taking a
>>> beating and too time consuming to create.
>>>
>>> I have "looked around" on the internet and in the computer departments
>>> of some local stores, but so far no luck on a suitable replacement.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
>>>
>>> James

>> How about this one
>>
>> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...yp e=Overview
>>
>> I use the one below it RX560 which is great.
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> --
>> Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Hi,

I use the RX560 which prints double sided so don't see why the RX580
shouldn't. I don't have any problems printing on check size paper. I live in
UK and have noticed that RX580 is not available here but is in USA. I think
the equivalent model in UK is the RX585 or RX590 (US equivalent RX595) which
does do doublesided prints. Check out the entire RX range they are quite
good for the money.

http://support.epson-europe.com/onli...00-00100-00100

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Too Many Choices
Most of the Canon MFPs can be modified to print on a CD with very little
work. All you need to do is purchase the CD tray from eBay for the
particular model you choose (just get the right one!!!) I don't have any
MFPs but my ip4200, ip4300, ip6600 and ip6700 will all print to CDs very
nicely. I used to have an Epson R200 for just that purpose, but it clogged
after not using for a couple of weeks and I junked it. I will say that the
Canon printers print the CD about 5 times quicker than the Epson ever did.

http://pixma.damnmachine.com/index.p...ions/mp-series
(long scroll down)
http://pixma.damnmachine.com/index.p...tructions.html
(same)