Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Network & Shared Printing Problems

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2007
compTMan
 

Posts: n/a
Network & Shared Printing Problems
I have two printers, one is connected to the standard printer port on my
router and the other is connected directly to a Win98 computer. I could
print to both from my main HP Pavilion computer that was runing Win XP. I
have now upgraded the HP computer to Vista Premium Home Edition and cannot
print to either.

I'll first discuss the printer connected to the router. As previously
stated it connects to the printer port on the router through a standard
printer cable (not USB). When I upgraded to Vista I deleted all of my
printers prior to installing the upgrade. I re-installed the "print server"
software that came with my router. This driver was Win 2000 compatible (the
router is an older router). After installing the print server driver the
instructions say to add the printer as a "local printer" and to select the
port that you defined when you installed the print server software. I
selected the correct port from the list shown during the printer add process,
completed the process, and the printer was added to my available printer
list. However, whenever I print to the printer nothing happens. The
document goes into the print quene but is never printed. Looking at the
document in the quene shows the status as "Error Printing".

My second printer is connected to a Win 98 computer. I am networked with
that computer and can send/receive documents between the two computers. I
can see the printer connected to the Win 98 computer in my Network window on
the HP but when I attempt to add the printer I get the following error:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed
(error 0x00000866).

Any suggestions on resolving these would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2007
Cari \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Network & Shared Printing Problems
I'll do the 98se printer first. Although it's not officially supported to
connect Vista to a printer on a 9x system, you can set it up as a local one,
then change the printer address to \\98sePC\98sePrinter where 98sePC is the
shared name of the PC with Win98se on it and 98sePrinter is the shared name
of the printer on the PC with Win98se.

As for the one on the print server, can you not find it by it's TCP/IP
address which its presumably getting from the router? It should be at
\\123.123.123.123 (where the 123s are the TCP/IP address that it's getting
from the router. You should be able to logon to the router to see what
address it's giving to the printer if you're unsure.

It would be more helpful in future if you can let us know exactly which make
and model of printer you're trying to connect to. Obviously each MUST have
Vista drivers available... either built in to Vista (called in-box drivers)
or from the printer manufacturer's website. If drivers are not available,
then Vista won't be able to print to them.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"compTMan" <compTMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B8B7F614-1725-4DA5-920C-2195E75A9C64@microsoft.com...
>I have two printers, one is connected to the standard printer port on my
> router and the other is connected directly to a Win98 computer. I could
> print to both from my main HP Pavilion computer that was runing Win XP. I
> have now upgraded the HP computer to Vista Premium Home Edition and cannot
> print to either.
>
> I'll first discuss the printer connected to the router. As previously
> stated it connects to the printer port on the router through a standard
> printer cable (not USB). When I upgraded to Vista I deleted all of my
> printers prior to installing the upgrade. I re-installed the "print
> server"
> software that came with my router. This driver was Win 2000 compatible
> (the
> router is an older router). After installing the print server driver the
> instructions say to add the printer as a "local printer" and to select the
> port that you defined when you installed the print server software. I
> selected the correct port from the list shown during the printer add
> process,
> completed the process, and the printer was added to my available printer
> list. However, whenever I print to the printer nothing happens. The
> document goes into the print quene but is never printed. Looking at the
> document in the quene shows the status as "Error Printing".
>
> My second printer is connected to a Win 98 computer. I am networked with
> that computer and can send/receive documents between the two computers. I
> can see the printer connected to the Win 98 computer in my Network window
> on
> the HP but when I attempt to add the printer I get the following error:
>
> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed
> (error 0x00000866).
>
> Any suggestions on resolving these would be greatly appreciated.
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2007
compTMan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Network & Shared Printing Problems
Thanks for the quick response.

Both of the printers are older printers. The one connected to the router is
a Lexmark 4019 and I think it is using in-box drivers. However the printer
server software loaded was Win2000 compatible. I didn't think that mattered
however since the port name showed up in the list when I added the printer.

The printer directly connected to the Win98 computer is a HP OfficeJet 500.
I've looked on HP's site and Vista drivers don't exist for this printer and
wouldn't be developed because of it's age.

I will try substituting the IP address in place of the port name used and
see if it makes a difference.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I'll do the 98se printer first. Although it's not officially supported to
> connect Vista to a printer on a 9x system, you can set it up as a local one,
> then change the printer address to \\98sePC\98sePrinter where 98sePC is the
> shared name of the PC with Win98se on it and 98sePrinter is the shared name
> of the printer on the PC with Win98se.
>
> As for the one on the print server, can you not find it by it's TCP/IP
> address which its presumably getting from the router? It should be at
> \\123.123.123.123 (where the 123s are the TCP/IP address that it's getting
> from the router. You should be able to logon to the router to see what
> address it's giving to the printer if you're unsure.
>
> It would be more helpful in future if you can let us know exactly which make
> and model of printer you're trying to connect to. Obviously each MUST have
> Vista drivers available... either built in to Vista (called in-box drivers)
> or from the printer manufacturer's website. If drivers are not available,
> then Vista won't be able to print to them.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2007
Tom Ferguson
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Network & Shared Printing Problems
For the HP OfficeJet 500, try the Generic IBM Graphics 9 pin driver from
the Vista DVD.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"compTMan" <compTMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F340A12B-179C-41D6-B070-9CE8153E03A7@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> Both of the printers are older printers. The one connected to the
> router is
> a Lexmark 4019 and I think it is using in-box drivers. However the
> printer
> server software loaded was Win2000 compatible. I didn't think that
> mattered
> however since the port name showed up in the list when I added the
> printer.
>
> The printer directly connected to the Win98 computer is a HP OfficeJet
> 500.
> I've looked on HP's site and Vista drivers don't exist for this printer
> and
> wouldn't be developed because of it's age.
>
> I will try substituting the IP address in place of the port name used
> and
> see if it makes a difference.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> I'll do the 98se printer first. Although it's not officially
>> supported to
>> connect Vista to a printer on a 9x system, you can set it up as a
>> local one,
>> then change the printer address to \\98sePC\98sePrinter where 98sePC
>> is the
>> shared name of the PC with Win98se on it and 98sePrinter is the shared
>> name
>> of the printer on the PC with Win98se.
>>
>> As for the one on the print server, can you not find it by it's TCP/IP
>> address which its presumably getting from the router? It should be at
>> \\123.123.123.123 (where the 123s are the TCP/IP address that it's
>> getting
>> from the router. You should be able to logon to the router to see
>> what
>> address it's giving to the printer if you're unsure.
>>
>> It would be more helpful in future if you can let us know exactly
>> which make
>> and model of printer you're trying to connect to. Obviously each MUST
>> have
>> Vista drivers available... either built in to Vista (called in-box
>> drivers)
>> or from the printer manufacturer's website. If drivers are not
>> available,
>> then Vista won't be able to print to them.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>

>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Network Printing Problems Tom microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 12 11-07-2007 23:54
Problems printing to shared printer Trumiester microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 8 08-04-2007 10:46
Printing problems from shared XP printer to a Vista PC Andy P microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 6 07-03-2007 00:21
Printing and network problems with Vista Leigh microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 1 05-23-2007 05:19
I have problems when printing using a shared printer =?Utf-8?B?Q29uYW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 5 04-21-2007 01:30




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:19.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120