Vista 64 Print Driver

Don

Vista 64 Print Driver
I have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to a Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. It
works fine. But when I try to share to an XP machine over a network I can see
the shared printer but it asks for a driver. I loaded a driver on the XP
machine from Canon. Then I point the machine to the ip4000.inf file and all I
get is can't find a sutable driver. If I connect the printer directly to the
XP machine it works fine. By the way I tried loading the x86 drivers on Vista
and I get cant locate drivers. I suspect there is a bug correctly
recognizing the 32 bit machine drivers but I'm stuck.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista 64 Print Driver
You need to add the 32 bit drivers to the 64 bit PC.

Control Panel, Printers, highlight appropriate printer, click on Properties,
and then on that first screen, Add additional drivers... x86.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to a Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. It
> works fine. But when I try to share to an XP machine over a network I can
> see
> the shared printer but it asks for a driver. I loaded a driver on the XP
> machine from Canon. Then I point the machine to the ip4000.inf file and
> all I
> get is can't find a sutable driver. If I connect the printer directly to
> the
> XP machine it works fine. By the way I tried loading the x86 drivers on
> Vista
> and I get cant locate drivers. I suspect there is a bug correctly
> recognizing the 32 bit machine drivers but I'm stuck.

Don

Re: Vista 64 Print Driver
I reload vista drivers and now point to the iP4000.inf file and get a Driver
signing error. I turned off Driver signing, reboot and I get :

Unable to install Canon PIXMA iP4000 x86, Type 3 - User Mode Driver. The
operation could not be completed (error 0xe0000102).

Not totally explanatory.

By the way when I initally plugged in the printer Vista went and found the
drivers all by itself (nice), why M/S didn't automate the multiple
architecture piece too is beyond me. This is part is way too tough.

Thanks,
Good Night

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You need to add the 32 bit drivers to the 64 bit PC.
>
> Control Panel, Printers, highlight appropriate printer, click on Properties,
> and then on that first screen, Add additional drivers... x86.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to a Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. It
> > works fine. But when I try to share to an XP machine over a network I can
> > see
> > the shared printer but it asks for a driver. I loaded a driver on the XP
> > machine from Canon. Then I point the machine to the ip4000.inf file and
> > all I
> > get is can't find a sutable driver. If I connect the printer directly to
> > the
> > XP machine it works fine. By the way I tried loading the x86 drivers on
> > Vista
> > and I get cant locate drivers. I suspect there is a bug correctly
> > recognizing the 32 bit machine drivers but I'm stuck.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista 64 Print Driver
Ah, not a 32 bit Vista driver for the ip4000, an XP driver. Download them
from the Canon site, go through as if you were installing, it will politely
tell you after expanding them (just remember where it put them) that they're
the incorrect drivers for this O/S... correct. It's not quite intelligent
enough to realize you want them for an XP PC.

Then into the Properties of the Printer.... and add XP x86 (which is 32
bit)... and when it asks where they are, point it to the folder where the
Canon package expanded itself.

One thing it does do is realize there are O/Ses that came before it. It's a
little more difficult when you have a 2003 R2 Server 64 bit which hasn't a
clue what Vista is... then you have to get a LOT more creative!!!!! Been
there, done that, earned the t-shirt! But strangely enough, my 2003 Server
happily prints to all my inkjets (none of which are actually attached to
it), it does have an i560 attached at present, which it thinks is an ip3000
since there aren't any 64 bit drivers for something that old for XP (2003
generally uses XP drivers, not Vista ones, and there are a lot more 64 bit
Vista drivers than there are XP x64). This coming week I get to add an
ip6700d to the network.

Network consists of the 64 bit 2003 Server R2, 4 x Vista Ultimate PCs and an
XP Pro PC. One of the Vista Ultimates is 64 bit. Three of them could be,
but I copped out and installed 32 bit instead. Printers are a Lexmark Optra
S (ethernet), Canon ip4300 and ip6600 on my desktop, ip4200 on hubby's PC,
i950 on my Test PC (that's the 64 bit one), the i560 on the Server and
nothing on either of the notebooks.
--

>I reload vista drivers and now point to the iP4000.inf file and get a
>Driver
> signing error. I turned off Driver signing, reboot and I get :
>
> Unable to install Canon PIXMA iP4000 x86, Type 3 - User Mode Driver. The
> operation could not be completed (error 0xe0000102).
>
> Not totally explanatory.
>
> By the way when I initally plugged in the printer Vista went and found the
> drivers all by itself (nice), why M/S didn't automate the multiple
> architecture piece too is beyond me. This is part is way too tough.
>
> Thanks,
> Good Night
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> You need to add the 32 bit drivers to the 64 bit PC.
>>
>> Control Panel, Printers, highlight appropriate printer, click on
>> Properties,
>> and then on that first screen, Add additional drivers... x86.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to a Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. It
>> > works fine. But when I try to share to an XP machine over a network I
>> > can
>> > see
>> > the shared printer but it asks for a driver. I loaded a driver on the
>> > XP
>> > machine from Canon. Then I point the machine to the ip4000.inf file and
>> > all I
>> > get is can't find a sutable driver. If I connect the printer directly
>> > the
>> > XP machine it works fine. By the way I tried loading the x86 drivers on
>> > Vista
>> > and I get cant locate drivers. I suspect there is a bug correctly
>> > recognizing the 32 bit machine drivers but I'm stuck.

Don

Re: Vista 64 Print Driver
Yes that worked. I had actually tried loading these drivers before but
somehow the divers were not Vista x64 origianally. (but they worked probably
becase Vista can run 32bit drivers?) So if Vista is using the 32 bit drivers
it won't load x86 (32 bit) but if it really is using X64 drivers it will load
32 bit drivers for x86.
At any rate loading the vista64 (x64) drivers then loading XP (x86) drivers
happily worked.

Thanks,
Don

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Ah, not a 32 bit Vista driver for the ip4000, an XP driver. Download them
> from the Canon site, go through as if you were installing, it will politely
> tell you after expanding them (just remember where it put them) that they're
> the incorrect drivers for this O/S... correct. It's not quite intelligent
> enough to realize you want them for an XP PC.
>
> Then into the Properties of the Printer.... and add XP x86 (which is 32
> bit)... and when it asks where they are, point it to the folder where the
> Canon package expanded itself.
>
> One thing it does do is realize there are O/Ses that came before it. It's a
> little more difficult when you have a 2003 R2 Server 64 bit which hasn't a
> clue what Vista is... then you have to get a LOT more creative!!!!! Been
> there, done that, earned the t-shirt! But strangely enough, my 2003 Server
> happily prints to all my inkjets (none of which are actually attached to
> it), it does have an i560 attached at present, which it thinks is an ip3000
> since there aren't any 64 bit drivers for something that old for XP (2003
> generally uses XP drivers, not Vista ones, and there are a lot more 64 bit
> Vista drivers than there are XP x64). This coming week I get to add an
> ip6700d to the network.
>
> Network consists of the 64 bit 2003 Server R2, 4 x Vista Ultimate PCs and an
> XP Pro PC. One of the Vista Ultimates is 64 bit. Three of them could be,
> but I copped out and installed 32 bit instead. Printers are a Lexmark Optra
> S (ethernet), Canon ip4300 and ip6600 on my desktop, ip4200 on hubby's PC,
> i950 on my Test PC (that's the 64 bit one), the i560 on the Server and
> nothing on either of the notebooks.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I reload vista drivers and now point to the iP4000.inf file and get a
> >Driver
> > signing error. I turned off Driver signing, reboot and I get :
> >
> > Unable to install Canon PIXMA iP4000 x86, Type 3 - User Mode Driver. The
> > operation could not be completed (error 0xe0000102).
> >
> > Not totally explanatory.
> >
> > By the way when I initally plugged in the printer Vista went and found the
> > drivers all by itself (nice), why M/S didn't automate the multiple
> > architecture piece too is beyond me. This is part is way too tough.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Good Night
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to add the 32 bit drivers to the 64 bit PC.
> >>
> >> Control Panel, Printers, highlight appropriate printer, click on
> >> Properties,
> >> and then on that first screen, Add additional drivers... x86.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

jgh

Re: Vista 64 Print Driver
I have a similar problem, but with an HP Deskjet 5550 series. I have an HP
Deskjet 5550 hooked up to a Vista64 computer. It used to be hooked up to the
XP machine, but I moved that into another room. I'd like to be able to print
from the XP machine to the Vista64 machine. I'm able to share the printer
fine, but the 32-bit XP machine cannot find the right driver for the printer.

Unfortunately, Vista64 believes this printer model is "hp deskjet 5550
series (HPA)" and XP SP2 beleives that it is just "hp deskjet 5550 series".
When I try to install the XP drivers on the Vista64 machine, Vista 64
complains that the drivers are not for "hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA)".
Similarly, when I try to install the drivers on the XP machine (which used to
be the print server), it also complains that it cannot find drivers for "hp
deskjet 5550 series (HPA)".

I've changed the printer name and share name to "hp deskjet 5550 series".
How do I change the model name to "hp deskjet 5550 series" so the XP machine
can find the drivers?

"Don" wrote:

> [...]
> > i950 on my Test PC (that's the 64 bit one), the i560 on the Server and
> > nothing on either of the notebooks.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I reload vista drivers and now point to the iP4000.inf file and get a
> > >Driver
> > > signing error. I turned off Driver signing, reboot and I get :
> > >
> > > Unable to install Canon PIXMA iP4000 x86, Type 3 - User Mode Driver. The
> > > operation could not be completed (error 0xe0000102).
> > >
> > > Not totally explanatory.
> > >
> > > By the way when I initally plugged in the printer Vista went and found the
> > > drivers all by itself (nice), why M/S didn't automate the multiple
> > > architecture piece too is beyond me. This is part is way too tough.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista 64 Print Driver
You will need to print over SMB rather than RPC to the machine

On the XP machine, add a local printer using a Local Port in the form
\\64bitmachine\printersharename (make the share name all one word, it's
easier), then select the "series" driver.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"jgh" <jgh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > generally uses XP drivers, not Vista ones, and there are a lot more 64
>> > bit
>> > Vista drivers than there are XP x64). This coming week I get to add an
>> > ip6700d to the network.
>> >
>> > Network consists of the 64 bit 2003 Server R2, 4 x Vista Ultimate PCs
>> > and an
>> > XP Pro PC. One of the Vista Ultimates is 64 bit. Three of them could
>> > be,
>> > but I copped out and installed 32 bit instead. Printers are a Lexmark
>> > Optra
>> > S (ethernet), Canon ip4300 and ip6600 on my desktop, ip4200 on hubby's
>> > PC,
>> > i950 on my Test PC (that's the 64 bit one), the i560 on the Server and
>> > nothing on either of the notebooks.
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP)
>> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging

Tony Linguini

Re: Vista 64 Print Driver
A continuing chicken versus egg problem. I have been waiting 8 months for HP
to come up with Vista 64 compatible software for my printer so I can upgrade
at the office. They do at least have drivers.