windows vista network printer setup error

Rob

windows vista network printer setup error
I have a home network with windows xp on most of the machines. I use a
linksys network configuration with an HP932C printer setup with a linksys
printserver. It works fine for all my XP machines. I recently purchased 2
vista machines and when I try to setup the network printer I get the
following error message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation
could not be completed (error 0x000003a)

I know the printer works through the network since I don't have any problems
on my windows xp machines. Both VISTA machines are new and have the same
problem.

Any help would be great...

Rob

--
Rob
Malke

Re: windows vista network printer setup error
Rob wrote:
> I have a home network with windows xp on most of the machines. I use a
> linksys network configuration with an HP932C printer setup with a linksys
> printserver. It works fine for all my XP machines. I recently purchased 2
> vista machines and when I try to setup the network printer I get the
> following error message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation
> could not be completed (error 0x000003a)
>
> I know the printer works through the network since I don't have any problems
> on my windows xp machines. Both VISTA machines are new and have the same
> problem.

You'll need two things - 1) the Vista drivers for the print server to be
installed on the new machines; and 2) the Vista drivers for the printer
installed on the new machines. Check on Linksys' website for the print
server drivers and on HP's site for the printer drivers. The 932C is so
old that it may have basic drivers included in Vista but you'll still
need the print server drivers because this isn't a true network printer.
A true network printer connects to the network either via ethernet into
a router/switch or via wireless.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don

RE: windows vista network printer setup error
Hi Rob

Have you checked your firewall? I have a Vista machine with XP machines in a
home network and I had to enable the MAC address of the XP machines as
trusted in Norton Internet security on the Vista machine before they would
communicate. I did not have to do this with XP machines before sharing was
simple a matter of joining the same workgroup.

Don

"Rob" wrote:

> I have a home network with windows xp on most of the machines. I use a
> linksys network configuration with an HP932C printer setup with a linksys
> printserver. It works fine for all my XP machines. I recently purchased 2
> vista machines and when I try to setup the network printer I get the
> following error message "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation
> could not be completed (error 0x000003a)
>
> I know the printer works through the network since I don't have any problems
> on my windows xp machines. Both VISTA machines are new and have the same
> problem.
>
> Any help would be great...
>
> Rob
>
> --
> Rob

Rob

Re: windows vista network printer setup error
Malke,

The HP site will not let me download the VISTA print drivers. It states
that the correct drivers are on the computer already. I also went to linksys
and it stated that there were no issues. I verified this by connecting the
printer directly to one of the XP machines and tried to access it from the
VISTA machine. I received the same error.

When I plug the printer directly into the VISTA machine it works fine. I
still need to access it on the network....

Rob
--
Rob

Rob wrote:
> Malke,
>
> The HP site will not let me download the VISTA print drivers. It states
> that the correct drivers are on the computer already. I also went to linksys
> and it stated that there were no issues. I verified this by connecting the
> printer directly to one of the XP machines and tried to access it from the
> VISTA machine. I received the same error.
>
> When I plug the printer directly into the VISTA machine it works fine. I
> still need to access it on the network....

Then you know the issue is with the print server. It is unclear to me
whether you did install the print server drivers on the Vista machine.
If you did and still can't see the printer, check with Linksys tech
support for help with their print server.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Judy Booth

Re: windows vista network printer setup error
Malke <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> Rob wrote:
>> Malke,
>>
>> When I plug the printer directly into the VISTA machine it works
>> fine. I still need to access it on the network....

> Then you know the issue is with the print server. It is unclear to me
> whether you did install the print server drivers on the Vista machine.
> If you did and still can't see the printer, check with Linksys tech
> support for help with their print server.
>

> Malke

How are you connecting to the network printer? Does the print server
appear as a machine on the network with a shared print queue, or do you
create a TCP/IP port for the printer?
The problem might be that the port driver on Vista cannot communicate
successfully with the printer.
If Linksys have said that there are no known issues with Vista then it
might be worth confirming that you have the latest firmware on the print
server.

Judy
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: windows vista network printer setup error
the error is bad net response so something is not responding on the network
layer properly.

G:\>winerror 58
58 ERROR_BAD_NET_RESP

--