Is there a problem with Vista printing?

neophyte

Is there a problem with Vista printing?
I've heard that there might be some serious issues with printing to XP
connected printers. Is that true?

My own case, I have an wifi-connected XP Pro workstation connected with an
HP G85 printer connected to it. The workstation uses a network cable to
connect to the wireless router. I have been printing to it just fine through
an XP laptop. Now, with the new Vista laptop, I can connect to the shared
printer just fine but the test print fails. I know that the job is getting
there ok because I can pause the printer and see the job show up in the print
queue. But then it is deleted from the print queue without being printed. I
checked to see if there is a special driver that is needed and they say there
is not.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Geoff
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Is there a problem with Vista printing?
I kept my desktop on XP for a long time as I needed up upgrade hardware for
it to run with Vista.... my husband's PC, my desktop and my test PC were all
running Vista and I had no problems in printing to the desktop with any of
them.... but I'm a Canon inkjet user, not an HP one. I also had a Lexmark
laser printer attached to the desktop (also on a lan card) and again, it
printed fine from any PC.

Now the desktop is running Vista Ultimate and still none of them have any
printing problems. I have an old notebook that still runs XP. No problems
there either.

Did you work your way through:
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"neophyte" <neophyte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've heard that there might be some serious issues with printing to XP
> connected printers. Is that true?
>
> My own case, I have an wifi-connected XP Pro workstation connected with an
> HP G85 printer connected to it. The workstation uses a network cable to
> connect to the wireless router. I have been printing to it just fine
> through
> an XP laptop. Now, with the new Vista laptop, I can connect to the shared
> printer just fine but the test print fails. I know that the job is getting
> there ok because I can pause the printer and see the job show up in the
> print
> queue. But then it is deleted from the print queue without being printed.
> checked to see if there is a special driver that is needed and they say
> there
> is not.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
>

> Geoff

huwyngr

Re: Is there a problem with Vista printing?
I came across a wonderful document on the Canon website for VISTA
downloads for a Canon printer I was asked about recently which
described in very clear detail how to set up a network enabled Canon
printer in VISTA. It was illustrated with screen shots and included the
two things I have seen stated elsewhere although I've no experience of
setting up a networked printer or all in one myself:

1 -- You have to make an installation on the VISTA "remote" PC of a
local printer

2 -- You have to set the port being used to a specific description, not
the old LPTn of course or even a DOT4 ....

Here's a link to the pdf file of instructions -- download it and see if
it helps:

ftp://ftp.minolta-
qms.com/pub/crc/out_going/manuals/misc/km_vista_instruct.pdf

See what you think!