Shard Fax on Small Business Server

tony_72000

Shard Fax on Small Business Server
Has anyone successfully connected the Windows Vista Fax & Scan to the
ShardFax on a Small Business Server?

The driver installs fine (from AD), the fax account seems to set up
correctly (by using \\servername) but when you try to send a fax it says
there was an error and the status says 'All fax accounts are inaccessible'.
When you look at the fax account, its fax server status shows as
'Disconnected'.

As Vista is now over 6 months old, I would have thought Microsoft would have
come across this problem and had a fix for it, but there is nothing about it
on the support website. As my computer is an OEM, the manufacture (HP) does
not want to know, saying it's a server problem and I can't get to talk to
Microsoft about it either (as it's an OEM).

Am I missing something?
Derrek with Mainpine

Re: Shard Fax on Small Business Server

I suppose you have seen this response already:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...vironment.aspx

So Vista Fax and Scan client requires that you are either running
Windows 2003 with Domain Controller running, or a SBS server. That
has been my experience as well.

If you are having any problems with dropped fax connections, we
(Mainpine) have released new single port and multi-port PCI-Express
fax boards that are tailored to the Vista Fax/Scan and Windows Shared
Fax Server systems. Guaranteed to work with every fax machine out
there, and we provide technical support.

You can check them out at www.mainpine.com - the lab report for
Microsoft Shared Fax is also on the main page.

Thanks,

Derrek Sypert
Mainpine Support Manager
www.mainpine.com

On Oct 11, 4:45 am, tony_72000 <tony72...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Has anyone successfully connected the Windows Vista Fax & Scan to the
> ShardFax on a Small Business Server?
>
> The driver installs fine (from AD), the fax account seems to set up
> correctly (by using \\servername) but when you try to send a fax it says
> there was an error and the status says 'All fax accounts are inaccessible'.
> When you look at the fax account, its fax server status shows as
> 'Disconnected'.
>
> As Vista is now over 6 months old, I would have thought Microsoft would have
> come across this problem and had a fix for it, but there is nothing about it
> on the support website. As my computer is an OEM, the manufacture (HP) does
> not want to know, saying it's a server problem and I can't get to talk to
> Microsoft about it either (as it's an OEM).
>
> Am I missing something?

tony_72000

Re: Shard Fax on Small Business Server
I have looked at this post and I already thought of installing the SBS
SharedFax Client software, but (as with XP) it returned the following error:

"Microsoft Shared Fax Client Installer Information"
Fax client is an integral part of your operating system.
To install this componant, after setup, open the
Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove
Windows Components, and select the Fax componant.
Click Next and followthe instructions.

Then the setup prorogram finishes with an error.

I realy need to get this sorted out and if HP or Microsoft can't help me,
then I will have to return to XP.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Shard Fax on Small Business Server
Did you elevate to run WFS as an administrator on the client machine?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"tony_72000" <tony72000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone successfully connected the Windows Vista Fax & Scan to the
> ShardFax on a Small Business Server?
>
> The driver installs fine (from AD), the fax account seems to set up
> correctly (by using \\servername) but when you try to send a fax it says
> there was an error and the status says 'All fax accounts are
> inaccessible'.
> When you look at the fax account, its fax server status shows as
> 'Disconnected'.
>
> As Vista is now over 6 months old, I would have thought Microsoft would
> have
> come across this problem and had a fix for it, but there is nothing about
> it
> on the support website. As my computer is an OEM, the manufacture (HP)
> does
> not want to know, saying it's a server problem and I can't get to talk to
> Microsoft about it either (as it's an OEM).
>
> Am I missing something?

tony_72000

Re: Shard Fax on Small Business Server
Yes. This was one of the things I first thought of, but I get the same result.

I have even tried removing the SharedFax printer and then adding the
account. At first, the account says it is connected and it even installed the
printer back again, but when I close the account screen and selct it again,
it shows as disconnected.