psc 1210 all in one printer - Label Problem

Bill

psc 1210 all in one printer - Label Problem
I am trying to print labels and I am getting smudged ink and lines through
the names and addresses. I just installed a new print cartridge (black) and
I am still having the same problem.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: psc 1210 all in one printer - Label Problem
Did you try a cleaning and maintenance cycle on the printer?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news72DE63B-C4D8-43B9-B358-F9A632A6DB38@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to print labels and I am getting smudged ink and lines through
> the names and addresses. I just installed a new print cartridge (black)
> and
> I am still having the same problem.

Bill

Re: psc 1210 all in one printer - Label Problem
Cari, thank you for your reply. I've looked through the manual and there's
nothing there to tell me how to do a maintenance cycle and unfortunately,
since I'm using Vista, I'm not able to load the software that came with the
printer. So, I don't have access to the troubleshooting pages that came with
it. The only thing I've done is replace the cartridge and scan the page the
default prints out to align the cartridges. According to the book, this is
all I need to do. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you try a cleaning and maintenance cycle on the printer?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news72DE63B-C4D8-43B9-B358-F9A632A6DB38@microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to print labels and I am getting smudged ink and lines through
> > the names and addresses. I just installed a new print cartridge (black)
> > and
> > I am still having the same problem.

Dwarf

Re: psc 1210 all in one printer - Label Problem
Hi Bill,

Try printing a page of ordinary text (it doesn't matter what it is) onto
some ordinary paper. If you don't get any smudging and lines then it is quite
possible that the paper you use for labels is not compatible with your
printer. If, however, you do get smudging and lines then it is quite likely
to be your ink cartridge. Note that there should be no need to perform a
cleaning and maintenance cycle as the cartridges come as a complete unit -
tank and print head. Another point - when you said you installed a new
cartridge was it actually new or was it one that has been refilled? If it has
been refilled, then it is possible that some of the nozzle jets on the print
head have become blocked.
Dwarf

"Bill" wrote:

> Cari, thank you for your reply. I've looked through the manual and there's
> nothing there to tell me how to do a maintenance cycle and unfortunately,
> since I'm using Vista, I'm not able to load the software that came with the
> printer. So, I don't have access to the troubleshooting pages that came with
> it. The only thing I've done is replace the cartridge and scan the page the
> default prints out to align the cartridges. According to the book, this is
> all I need to do. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Did you try a cleaning and maintenance cycle on the printer?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> > http://www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news72DE63B-C4D8-43B9-B358-F9A632A6DB38@microsoft.com...
> > >I am trying to print labels and I am getting smudged ink and lines through
> > > the names and addresses. I just installed a new print cartridge (black)
> > > and
> > > I am still having the same problem.

huwyngr

In article <6E816CD0-296E-4869-8453-80F92E94E89B@microsoft.com>, Bill wrote:

> *I've looked through the manual and there's*
> nothing there to tell me how to do a maintenance cycle and unfortunately,*
> since I'm using Vista, I'm not able to load the software that came with the*
> printer.

That last would mean that you are using the VISTA in the box driver and these
are often far from fully functioned. In my experience the maintenace feature
is usually a TAB or another choice in the Printer Properties (right mouse
click on the icon in Start / Settings / Printers and select properties but it
may not be there.

On the fully featured setup for my PS 8250 it is in Properties / General /
Printing Prefferences (a button at the bottom of the general tab) / Services
where it says Service this device and then gives you a list of things you can
do from Aligning to cleaning to print a diagnostic page and so on.

If this is not available with the driver you have have you tried installing an
earlier version using Compatibility mode set to that version of Windows?

Try using the XP full software at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?
os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=90764&lang=en

Make sure you download it to your PC and know where it is located -- do not
Run it from the HP website; Save it.

Use Compatibility mode set to XP with SP2 and use Run as Administrator to
install it and then apply all the updates listed on that page, downloading
each one and running it as above.

Do this after unplugging the USB printer cable from the PC and uninstalling
all traces of the printer that there may be in the Uninstall Programs or in
the Printers folder mentioned above. Then reboot and do not plug the printer
cable in until the installation either tells you to or the installation is
finished.

If you don't know how to do Compatibility mode and Run as Administrator,
shout.

Bill

Re: psc 1210 all in one printer - Label Problem
Thank you for all the info. I will see what I can do.

"huwyngr" wrote:

> In article <6E816CD0-296E-4869-8453-80F92E94E89B@microsoft.com>, Bill wrote:
>
> > I've looked through the manual and there's
> > nothing there to tell me how to do a maintenance cycle and unfortunately,
> > since I'm using Vista, I'm not able to load the software that came with the
> > printer.

> That last would mean that you are using the VISTA in the box driver and these
> are often far from fully functioned. In my experience the maintenace feature
> is usually a TAB or another choice in the Printer Properties (right mouse
> click on the icon in Start / Settings / Printers and select properties but it
> may not be there.
>
> On the fully featured setup for my PS 8250 it is in Properties / General /
> Printing Prefferences (a button at the bottom of the general tab) / Services
> where it says Service this device and then gives you a list of things you can
> do from Aligning to cleaning to print a diagnostic page and so on.
>
> If this is not available with the driver you have have you tried installing an
> earlier version using Compatibility mode set to that version of Windows?
>
> Try using the XP full software at:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?
> os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=90764&lang=en
>
> Make sure you download it to your PC and know where it is located -- do not
> Run it from the HP website; Save it.
>
> Use Compatibility mode set to XP with SP2 and use Run as Administrator to
> install it and then apply all the updates listed on that page, downloading
> each one and running it as above.
>
> Do this after unplugging the USB printer cable from the PC and uninstalling
> all traces of the printer that there may be in the Uninstall Programs or in
> the Printers folder mentioned above. Then reboot and do not plug the printer
> cable in until the installation either tells you to or the installation is
> finished.
>
> If you don't know how to do Compatibility mode and Run as Administrator,
> shout.

huwyngr

Re: psc 1210 all in one printer - Label Problem
Let us know how you get on.