Networked HP printers on 2003 server to Vista client questions?

Brian Hoyt

Networked HP printers on 2003 server to Vista client questions?
I have a couple of problems / questions dealing primarily with HP LaserJet
42X0 and 43X0 shared from a 2003 server to Vista clients. First, it appears
the current driver available on HP has a problem with it. If you attempt to
open print properties it errors out with a 0xc0000005 error. The built in
Vista drivers don't have this issue but that brings up problem 2. I have a
mixture of XP / Vista machines so I need to load compatible drivers on the
server so when a printer is added it will work. I can't add the ones built
into Vista to the 2003 server and the ones for download from HP site don't
work? Third, it appears when I make any changes to one HP printer one the
server all the other printers sharing that driver get flagged as updated.
This causes all the Vista clients to do a driver re-install including UAC
prompt. Lastly, is there a way via GPO to allow printer driver install in
the background without the UAC prompts so that my users won't be bothered by
the install everytime I touch a printer on the server?

Thanks

Brian Hoyt

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Networked HP printers on 2003 server to Vista client questions?
1,2) You can install the Vista drivers onto the Server machine remotely
using a Vista client with admin rights to the server. There is a bug in the
Vista HP drivers if you replace the drivers on printers created with the old
driver but it pretty easy to fix in the registry (see mail exchange with
HP). Unsure on the UI page failure but we also experience that issue with
HP drivers so you are not alone.

3) In OS versions prior to Vista, when the driver gets updated on the
server, the client silently downloads the change. Vista has a policy which
is enabled by default that forces user interaction before the updated files
are loaded to the client. You can configure this or disable, your choice?

Point and Print Security on Windows Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...staPnPSec.mspx

HP driver issue.

Brian Hoyt

Re: Networked HP printers on 2003 server to Vista client questions?
Thanks much for the answers. I have a couple of follow-ups. Reading
through the exchange below I see the fix. Is the fix on the server or each
client? Can I skip the fix if I simply delete the queues and recreate them
on the server and have clients auto reconnect? I have made the group policy
change to prevent elevation prompts for printer installs as well.

Brian Hoyt

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1,2) You can install the Vista drivers onto the Server machine remotely
> using a Vista client with admin rights to the server. There is a bug in
> the Vista HP drivers if you replace the drivers on printers created with
> the old driver but it pretty easy to fix in the registry (see mail
> exchange with HP). Unsure on the UI page failure but we also experience
> that issue with HP drivers so you are not alone.
>
> 3) In OS versions prior to Vista, when the driver gets updated on the
> server, the client silently downloads the change. Vista has a policy
> which is enabled by default that forces user interaction before the
> updated files are loaded to the client. You can configure this or
> disable, your choice?
>

> Point and Print Security on Windows Vista
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...staPnPSec.mspx
>

> HP driver issue.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Re: Networked HP printers on 2003 server to Vista client questions?
Hello Brian,

Thank you for using newsgroup and thanks our colleague Alan Morris's
information sharing.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

----

The fix is on the server. If you recreate the queue with the Vista drivers
the registry setting should be understandable by the Vista driver (I think,
hope, pray). Try on one queue, it did work for me this way but there where
too many to readd and I am comfortable editing the registry