Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallelconnection)...

Ant

Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallelconnection)...
Hello.

I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).

She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
think it is since it is just a cable adapter.

When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to
find it).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.

Based on
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=61012&lang=en
.... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.

I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
--
"I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a
far more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
Dave

Re: Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection)...
Does the printer show up in the Printers folder in control panel? If it
does, is it set as the default printer?
Does the printer support a USB connection?

"Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
> April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
> with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>
> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
> She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
> think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>
> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
> her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to find
> it).
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>
> Based on
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=61012&lang=en
> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>
> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
> --
> "I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a far
> more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human being is
> condemned and restricted to perform the same functions over and over
> again, he will not even be a good ant, not to mention a good human
> being." --Norbert Wiener
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
> ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

Dominic Payer

Re: Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection)...
The Microsoft XPS printer is probably set as the default.

Your friend should go Control Panel - Hardware and Sound: Printer. Then open
the 870CSe entry and choose Printer - Set As Default Printer.

> Hello.
>
> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
> April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
> with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>
> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
> She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
> think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>
> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
> her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to find
> it).
>
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>
> Based on
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=61012&lang=en
> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>
> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
> --
> "I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a far
> more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human being is
> condemned and restricted to perform the same functions over and over
> again, he will not even be a good ant, not to mention a good human
> being." --Norbert Wiener
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
> | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
> \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
> ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

wheelman

Re: Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (paral
do a restart,,if it does not reconize it..go to hp.com and see if they have
updated software or a fix for vista..my printer is hp..usb and it worked with
vista.with no problem.but you see how many problems people are haveing with
vista..its a nightmare os..

"Dave" wrote:

> Does the printer show up in the Printers folder in control panel? If it
> does, is it set as the default printer?
> Does the printer support a USB connection?
>
> "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
> > April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
> > with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
> >
> > She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
> > She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
> > think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
> >
> > When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
> > printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
> > her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to find
> > it).
> >
> > http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
> >
> > Based on
> > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=61012&lang=en
> > ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
> >
> > I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.
> >
> > Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
> > --
> > "I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a far
> > more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human being is
> > condemned and restricted to perform the same functions over and over
> > again, he will not even be a good ant, not to mention a good human
> > being." --Norbert Wiener
> > /\___/\
> > / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
> > \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
> > ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
> > Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

Mike Brannigan

"wheelman" <wheelman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> <snip>.but you see how many problems people are haveing with
> vista..its a nightmare os..

Don't judge the health of a nation by sitting in a hospital emergency room
and looking at what comes through the doors. That is not representative of
what is happening in the real world.
The same is true here. Just because there are number of people with problems
do not assume everyone is having issues.
Personally my family and I (some 14 machines ) are all using Vista and have
had ZERO issues. I have also been involved in large corporate deployments
of Vista (thousands of machines) and again no major issues.
--

Mike Brannigan
"wheelman" <wheelman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> do a restart,,if it does not reconize it..go to hp.com and see if they
> have
> updated software or a fix for vista..my printer is hp..usb and it worked
> with
> vista.with no problem.but you see how many problems people are haveing
> with
> vista..its a nightmare os..
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> Does the printer show up in the Printers folder in control panel? If it
>> does, is it set as the default printer?
>> Does the printer support a USB connection?
>>
>> "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
>> > April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
>> > with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>> >
>> > She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number
>> > F5U002v1).
>> > She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
>> > think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>> >
>> > When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
>> > printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
>> > her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to
>> > find
>> > it).
>> >
>> > http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>> >
>> > Based on
>> > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=61012&lang=en
>> > ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>> >
>> > I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to
>> > visit.
>> >
>> > Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
>> > --
>> > "I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a
>> > far
>> > more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human being
>> > is
>> > condemned and restricted to perform the same functions over and over
>> > again, he will not even be a good ant, not to mention a good human
>> > being." --Norbert Wiener
>> > /\___/\
>> > / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
>> > \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
>> > ( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
>> > Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.

Richard Urban

Re: Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (paral
It comes down to this: If a person "knows" what they are doing, and installs
Vista on sufficient hardware - he likely will have no problems.

If a person buys a new computer, designed for Vista (with Vista installed by
the manufacturer) - he will likely have no problems, other than removing
McAfee, Symantec and the rest of the installed crapware.

Now, if people would just stay out of services and the
registry.................................

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> "wheelman" <wheelman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>.but you see how many problems people are haveing with
>> vista..its a nightmare os..

> Don't judge the health of a nation by sitting in a hospital emergency room
> and looking at what comes through the doors. That is not representative
> of what is happening in the real world.
> The same is true here. Just because there are number of people with
> problems do not assume everyone is having issues.
> Personally my family and I (some 14 machines ) are all using Vista and
> have had ZERO issues. I have also been involved in large corporate
> deployments of Vista (thousands of machines) and again no major issues.
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan
> "wheelman" <wheelman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> do a restart,,if it does not reconize it..go to hp.com and see if they
>> have
>> updated software or a fix for vista..my printer is hp..usb and it worked
>> with
>> vista.with no problem.but you see how many problems people are haveing
>> with
>> vista..its a nightmare os..
>>
>> "Dave" wrote:
>>
>>> Does the printer show up in the Printers folder in control panel? If it
>>> does, is it set as the default printer?
>>> Does the printer support a USB connection?

Saucy

> Now, if people would just stay out of services and the
> registry.................................
>
> --

Why should I?

Actually, Service's list of services has gotten so huge it's hard to
determine what is or is not important/necessary/turn-off-able. One
bewilderedly wonders what is going on on one's own computer as there's so
much going on. I've turned off a few things and set a couple more to
'Automatic', but most of the plumbing I just leave alone.

Saucy

Ant

Re: Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallelconnection)...
I need to check with her. I assume it was autodetected. I will get back
to you. No USB support like I said earlier. Manual doesn't mention USB
connection. It's very old!

On 10/3/2007 2:01 AM PT, Dave typed:

> Does the printer show up in the Printers folder in control panel? If it
> does, is it set as the default printer?
> Does the printer support a USB connection?
>
> "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer
>> from April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing
>> problem with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>>
>> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number
>> F5U002v1). She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a
>> problem? I don't think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>>
>> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
>> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't
>> have her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how
>> to find it).
>>
>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>>
>> Based on
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=61012&lang=en
>> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>>
>> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to
>> visit.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

--
"Better (to be) an ant's head than a lion's tail." --Armenian and Maltese
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant

Re: Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (paral
We did that. See my link below. There is no driver. HP said Vista has it
already.

On 10/3/2007 2:15 AM PT, wheelman typed:

> do a restart,,if it does not reconize it..go to hp.com and see if they have
> updated software or a fix for vista..my printer is hp..usb and it worked with
> vista.with no problem.but you see how many problems people are haveing with
> vista..its a nightmare os..
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> Does the printer show up in the Printers folder in control panel? If it
>> does, is it set as the default printer?
>> Does the printer support a USB connection?
>>
>> "Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from
>>> April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem
>>> with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection).
>>>
>>> She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1).
>>> She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't
>>> think it is since it is just a cable adapter.
>>>
>>> When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the
>>> printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have
>>> her printer connected (asked her to check -- I hope she knows how to find
>>> it).
>>>
>>> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd04246.pdf for the PDF manual.
>>>
>>> Based on
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=61012&lang=en
>>> ... Vista knows about this printer so no downloaded driver needed.
>>>
>>> I am helping her through e-mails since she isn't close by for me to visit.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

--
"An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an
orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon

>I need to check with her.

If the printer is not auto-detected you can add it manually as that
particular model's drivers are built into Vista.

Look for the "Add Printer" button:

-Start
- Control Panel
- switch to "Classic View" [if not already]
- Printers
- click the "Add a printer" button
- select "Add a local printer"
- check the "Use and exisiting port" radio button [the default selection]
- and select "LPT1:Printer Port" from the dropdown list [the default
selection]
- click Next
- under Mnaufacturer select "HP"
- and under Printers select "HP Deskjet 870Cse"
- give the printer and name [ just use the default name]
- click Next
- and the printer installs .. print a test page to make surt it is working
and click any OKs etc.

Saucy