documents stuck in printer que

Seth

documents stuck in printer que
When I have a document that I am printing and for some reason it doesn't
print I try to eliminate it from the que and it just sits there trying to
delete but without success. I have tried disconnecting the usb cable from
both printer and computer, Unplugging the power. Dancing on one foot and
giving various hand gesters.
PosterInNews

Re: documents stuck in printer que
Stop the spooler service in services:

Option 1)
Click on start orb
Type in search window:
services.msc
click ok
Scroll down to Print spooler service and click on it in the right side
window.
On the left side click stop the service and wait forthe process to
stop
Do not close the window yet. You will have to restart it here later.
next delete the print job in the printer queue
then restart the spooler service
Resubmit your new print job.

Option 2)
If that doesn't clear it, the next step would be to stop the spooler
service as stated above
Go into windows explorer
(Print job data is collected and stored in a spool file in the spooler
folder.)

It is located in:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS

Your print job will show 2 files there Example below:
00002.SHD
00002.SPL

Delete the files located in there. There may be several of them
depending apon how many print jobs you submitted. You will have to
resubmit your print jobs all over again.
Next go back to services window and restart the spooler service

That will definitely fix it.

"PosterInNews" wrote:

> Stop the spooler service in services:
>
> Option 1)
> Click on start orb
> Type in search window:
> services.msc
> click ok
> Scroll down to Print spooler service and click on it in the right side
> window.
> On the left side click stop the service and wait forthe process to
> stop
> Do not close the window yet. You will have to restart it here later.
> next delete the print job in the printer queue
> then restart the spooler service
> Resubmit your new print job.
>
> Option 2)
> If that doesn't clear it, the next step would be to stop the spooler
> service as stated above
> Go into windows explorer
> (Print job data is collected and stored in a spool file in the spooler
> folder.)
>
> It is located in:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS
>
> Your print job will show 2 files there Example below:
> 00002.SHD
> 00002.SPL
>
> Delete the files located in there. There may be several of them
> depending apon how many print jobs you submitted. You will have to
> resubmit your print jobs all over again.
> Next go back to services window and restart the spooler service
>
> That will definitely fix it.
>

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:03:00 -0700, Seth
> <Seth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I have a document that I am printing and for some reason it doesn't
> >print I try to eliminate it from the que and it just sits there trying to
> >delete but without success. I have tried disconnecting the usb cable from
> >both printer and computer, Unplugging the power. Dancing on one foot and
> >giving various hand gesters.

I found the print spooler (thanks) when I stopped the print spool and went
back and tried to delete all the documents in the que it eliminated all of
them except the one it was deleting and that is still there. I restarted the
print spool and the deleting document is still there.
Seth

Re: documents stuck in printer que
Well I am back-I did option 1 and it did not work so I was doing option two
and I got to the screen where it had two items in the spooler-print folder
and I try to delete them and I get a screen that they can't be deleted
because they are open in another file. I closed all other files except those
I used to get to the spooler-print window. I now know what I have to delete
but I can't figure out how to do it. Yes I did shut down and restart
computer. Thanks Seth

"PosterInNews" wrote:

> Stop the spooler service in services:
>
> Option 1)
> Click on start orb
> Type in search window:
> services.msc
> click ok
> Scroll down to Print spooler service and click on it in the right side
> window.
> On the left side click stop the service and wait forthe process to
> stop
> Do not close the window yet. You will have to restart it here later.
> next delete the print job in the printer queue
> then restart the spooler service
> Resubmit your new print job.
>
> Option 2)
> If that doesn't clear it, the next step would be to stop the spooler
> service as stated above
> Go into windows explorer
> (Print job data is collected and stored in a spool file in the spooler
> folder.)
>
> It is located in:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS
>
> Your print job will show 2 files there Example below:
> 00002.SHD
> 00002.SPL
>
> Delete the files located in there. There may be several of them
> depending apon how many print jobs you submitted. You will have to
> resubmit your print jobs all over again.
> Next go back to services window and restart the spooler service
>
> That will definitely fix it.
>

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:03:00 -0700, Seth
> <Seth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I have a document that I am printing and for some reason it doesn't
> >print I try to eliminate it from the que and it just sits there trying to
> >delete but without success. I have tried disconnecting the usb cable from
> >both printer and computer, Unplugging the power. Dancing on one foot and
> >giving various hand gesters.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: documents stuck in printer que
Since the spooler is stopped, it sounds like there is another process that
has a handle open to the files. This would be the reason that the spooler
cannot delete the job. Find the other printer vendor provided software and
stop those service(s) until you find the one that is holding a reference to
the job files. It's most like some job or ink monitor software that is
causing the handle reference which will block the spooler from deleting the
jobs until the other software releases the files.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Seth" <Seth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I am back-I did option 1 and it did not work so I was doing option
> two
> and I got to the screen where it had two items in the spooler-print folder
> and I try to delete them and I get a screen that they can't be deleted
> because they are open in another file. I closed all other files except
> those
> I used to get to the spooler-print window. I now know what I have to
> delete
> but I can't figure out how to do it. Yes I did shut down and restart
> computer. Thanks Seth
>
> "PosterInNews" wrote:
>
>> Stop the spooler service in services:
>>
>> Option 1)
>> Click on start orb
>> Type in search window:
>> services.msc
>> click ok
>> Scroll down to Print spooler service and click on it in the right side
>> window.
>> On the left side click stop the service and wait forthe process to
>> stop
>> Do not close the window yet. You will have to restart it here later.
>> next delete the print job in the printer queue
>> then restart the spooler service
>> Resubmit your new print job.
>>
>> Option 2)
>> If that doesn't clear it, the next step would be to stop the spooler
>> service as stated above
>> Go into windows explorer
>> (Print job data is collected and stored in a spool file in the spooler
>> folder.)
>>
>> It is located in:
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS
>>
>> Your print job will show 2 files there Example below:
>> 00002.SHD
>> 00002.SPL
>>
>> Delete the files located in there. There may be several of them
>> depending apon how many print jobs you submitted. You will have to
>> resubmit your print jobs all over again.
>> Next go back to services window and restart the spooler service
>>
>> That will definitely fix it.
>>

>> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:03:00 -0700, Seth
>> <Seth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >When I have a document that I am printing and for some reason it doesn't
>> >print I try to eliminate it from the que and it just sits there trying
>> >delete but without success. I have tried disconnecting the usb cable
>> >from
>> >both printer and computer, Unplugging the power. Dancing on one foot
>> >and
>> >giving various hand gesters.

ryanjolliffe

Re: documents stuck in printer que

I found this post while searching for the answer to this question, just
incase anyone else has this problem I made a batch file to do this.
Just copy and paste the code below into Notepad and save as
Printer.bat-making sure "the :Save As Type" is set to "All Files".
Then right click it and select "Run As Administrator".

Code:
--------------------

@echo off
color 0A
title Printer Spooler Fixer
echo *************************************************
echo *Please make sure you run this as Administrator.*
echo *************************************************
echo -
echo -
echo -
net stop spooler
cd C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
del *.* /F /Q
dir
echo If files are listed above you need to follow the steps below.
echo If none are listed; the command has completed successfully and you may close this window.
net start spooler
pause
echo 1. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\spool.
echo *
echo 2. Right-click the PRINTERS folder.
echo *
echo 3. Select the Security tab.
echo *
echo 4. Highlight your account name and click Edit.
echo *
echo 5. Click Continue if prompted.
echo *
echo 6. In the Allow column-select Full Control.
echo *
echo 7. Click OK twice to get rid of the two PRINTERS Properties windows.
echo *
echo 8. Run this again.
echo Thanks for using Printer Spooler Fixer!
pause

--
ryanjolliffe