HP Officejet L7580 USB install fails

meldasue@comcast.net

HP Officejet L7580 USB install fails
System: Vista Home Premium, Pavillon a1720n. The only USB devices I
have connected are a Maxtor 3100 personal storage hard drive and a
Motorola Surfboard cable modem, both of which work fine. According to
the Device Manager, I currently have two USB Mass Storage Devices and
an 'Unknown Device', all appearing under USB Storage Controllers and a
WPD Filesystem Volume Driver that cannot start (appearing under
Portable Devices).

When the printer does show up in the printer folder, I have an HP L7
device under Hard Drives, an IEEE-compatible printer appearing as an
HP L7500 DOT4 device, USB printing support and a USB Composite Device
under USB Controllers and an HP L7500 Series printer under Printers as
well as Scanning Devices. A test page either errs or shoots out a
blank page, and then the document hangs in the print spooler.

What I've tried: the printer came with a cd that only worked with XP,
so before I did anything, I downloaded HP's Vista full install. I
have the latest version of this. Obviously, I've uninstalled,
reinstalled, connected the printer to every USB port on the machine
and tried HP's basic install and uninstall 'scrubber'. I've deleted
the infcache so many times, I now have a shortcut to the inf folder on
my desktop. I've uninstalled all USB controllers and root hubs. I've
tried a fix on the HP site that had me disable non-essential startups
and services, run disk cleanup and install from there. I've disabled
the firewall, disabled HP's CUE discovery service and obtained a
hotfix from Microsoft for infcache problems. I've updated the bios
and checked with Intel and HP for driver updates for other hardware,
and I have Windows set to automatic updates. I've searched the MS and
HP sites and googled for a solution. I also e-mailed HP support, but
after suggesting everything I'd told them I'd already tried, they're
sending me the cd for the install I already downloaded (and of course,
sometimes, that does work, but I'm not hopeful).

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HP Officejet L7580 USB install fails
Has the printer ever worked correctly on another PC?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

news:1191115264.360442.210510@y42g2000hsy.googlegr oups.com...