HP Officejet 7xxx series

anonymous

HP Officejet 7xxx series
I recently purchased a couple different HP Officjet Pro L7780s and L7680s (on
separate occasions). I am running Vista Ultimate (factory installed by Dell)
on a Dell Latitude D820. After installing the all-in-ones, I was able to
print, copy, and fax without any problems. However, I was not able to use
the scan function at all. I spent countless hours on the phone with HP tech
support--to no avail. Has anybody else had this issue?

Thank you.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HP Officejet 7xxx series
Did you follow the instructions on How to Scan from the HP website?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/u... 2093&lang=en

You have the latest version of the HP Director software?

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a couple different HP Officjet Pro L7780s and L7680s
>(on
> separate occasions). I am running Vista Ultimate (factory installed by
> Dell)
> on a Dell Latitude D820. After installing the all-in-ones, I was able to
> print, copy, and fax without any problems. However, I was not able to use
> the scan function at all. I spent countless hours on the phone with HP
> tech
> support--to no avail. Has anybody else had this issue?
>
> Thank you.

anonymous

Re: HP Officejet 7xxx series
Cari-

Thank you kindly for replying. For starters, I want to let you know that I
no longer own this machine because of its apparent inability to scan for me.
Further, I haven't owned it for about a month or so now, so I am going from
memory. The biggest reason I posted was to see if anybody else experienced
this. I would still consider re-buying it if somebody could get it to work
for me. Alternatively, I am open to suggestions for something similarly
priced that could do all that this thing is supposed to do.

Now, to answer your question.... I tried scanning directly from the machine
after installing the full version driver software directly from HP's website.
When I would press the scan buttons on the all-in-one, I would get errors
which would basically tell me that it couldn't connect to the network drive
to which I was attempting to send the document.

I literally spent probably 15-20 hours on the phone with HP's tech support
over countless days and four different machines. They finally said, "It
looks like we simply aren't going to get this to work on your system. Take
it back." What I find odd is that my system is nothing special, yet
perfectly capable. It's a 32-bit Vista Ultimate system on a (now)
4-month-old Dell laptop using a (now) 4-month-old Linksys 802.11g router.

If anybody out there has had a similar problem with the Officejet Pro L7580,
Officejet Pro L7680, or Officejet Pro L7780, I would love to hear from them.

Cari, in terms of some of the things we tried to troubleshoot: we
uninstalled McAfee completely from my system and then re-installed the HP
software and tried. We turned off all firewalls (Windows Defender and McAfee
(when McAfee was still installed)). I'm almost positive at one point we
tried setting the all-in-one at a static IP address. When we pinged the IP
address from the computer, we reached it successfully all times. They simply
could not get the all-in-one scanner to get through to the computer.
Remember that printing from the computer to the all-in-one was NEVER a
problem.

Anything you think we might have missed? Thanks so much. Your efforts are
appreciated.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you follow the instructions on How to Scan from the HP website?
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/u... 2093&lang=en
>
> You have the latest version of the HP Director software?
>
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a couple different HP Officjet Pro L7780s and L7680s
> >(on
> > separate occasions). I am running Vista Ultimate (factory installed by
> > Dell)
> > on a Dell Latitude D820. After installing the all-in-ones, I was able to
> > print, copy, and fax without any problems. However, I was not able to use
> > the scan function at all. I spent countless hours on the phone with HP
> > tech
> > support--to no avail. Has anybody else had this issue?
> >
> > Thank you.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HP Officejet 7xxx series
When you're next at your PC store, take a look at the Canon multi function
range.. or even the Epsons. We haven't seen many problems with these with
Vista, at least here in the NGs so I'm supposing that they should work
correctly. Unfortunately I don't have any AIOs to work with. I have to go
by what I see here and what I hear from others.
--

> [...]
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/u... 2093&lang=en
>>
>> You have the latest version of the HP Director software?
>>
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently purchased a couple different HP Officjet Pro L7780s and
>> >L7680s
>> >(on
>> > separate occasions). I am running Vista Ultimate (factory installed by
>> > Dell)
>> > on a Dell Latitude D820. After installing the all-in-ones, I was able
>> > print, copy, and fax without any problems. However, I was not able to
>> > use
>> > the scan function at all. I spent countless hours on the phone with HP
>> > tech
>> > support--to no avail. Has anybody else had this issue?

jockmed@gmail.com

Re: HP Officejet 7xxx series
I know you probably will not like this answer but, we had the same
problem and here's what I did:

I went to ... Tech Support! Ack! I can't believe I said that!

@ the HP Support site, I typed in the model number and that I wanted
the drivers. I looked to the right for FAQ or Trouble Shooter or
questions on problems (Don't remember really) and selected that. I
then selected I had problems with my Scanner and it let me choose from
a list of error messages. Choose the right one and it worked!

All it really was, was unplugging the printer (USB), going to the
device manager and uninstalling the USB Composite Driver... or
something like that, and waiting a bit and plugging it back in for it
to install the printer again.

It works now.

I was spotty on the tech stuff because I will really encourage you to
go to the tech site itself.

Hope this helps.