Stretched faxes when printed in Vista

andrcan

Stretched faxes when printed in Vista
Hi.
I just experienced the same problem at work.

A colleague just called me to fix a fax printing problem.
She is able to correctly view the fax with Windows Photo Gallery, but she
cannot properly print it with any installed printer, because it becomes
stretched.
The preview shows the fax using a landscape paper format (we currently use
A4).

Then I tried to open it with Paint Shop Pro XI and Paint (on Windows XP
Professional and Vista Business).
The image (in TIFF format) is "actually" stretched in a landscape way.
So I checked the image properties and I found that the width is 1728 pixels
and the heigth is 1123 pixels.

At work we are using Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition, and I configured
the Fax Service with an external US Robotics Fax Modem with A4 paper settings.
I checked also other faxes in our incoming folders, to see if all the faxes
have the same problem... But not...
Only some... Maybe 10% of the total.

Maybe the problem could be generated by the Windows NT Fax service, the one
that creates the TIFF image then sent via e-mail, and saved in the incoming
faxes folder.
Probably some image properties are wrong. Maybe the height in particular is
a half of the real size.

The strange thing, now, is the visualization that is right using Windows
Photo Gallery.
Another strange thing is that it is possible to correctly print the fax
using a Windows XP operating system, with Windows Picture and Fax viewer.

It could be useful a tool that permits to re-adjust the image properties of
the faxes in the inbox folder, and a patch for Windows 2003 Server to solve
the problem.
I repeat. To me it is not a problem related specifically to Windows Vista.
It is related to the fax service. And maybe Microsoft patched the image
viewers in Windows XP to "manage" the fax service error.

I really don't know. I hope that someone could solve this issue as soon as
possible.
I think that out there there is a lot of people thinking to migrate from
Windows XP to Windows Vista that, with its image viewers, doesn't "manage"
the fax service error...

I will appreciate an answer from someone...

Best regards.

Andrea Canova.
skymckinney

Re: Stretched faxes when printed in Vista

It would appear that the image viewers are not takeing into account the
resolution of the fax. the standard resolution on most fax machines is
200x100 dpi. the only solution I have is to strecth/skew the image and
reduce the width by 50%. If there is a better solution I would love to
hear about it. My client imports the tiff into a medical EMR database
and this problem is very inconvient for them. When they recieve faxes
sent in fine resloution 200x200 everything is fine. Please help
Sky

--
skymckinney