Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Can you share printer from Windows XP computer to a Vista Home pre

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-25-2007
Catmom7
 

Posts: n/a
Can you share printer from Windows XP computer to a Vista Home pre
I have two computers that run Windows Xp , Just recently we purchased one
with Vista home premium. I tried to have the Vista as the main computer but
was not able to share the printer (Lexmark 3350) with the other two computers
.. I've switched it back so now the other two Windows Xp computers are able to
share the printer. I have not been able to get the one with Vista to
recognize the printer. All of the computers show up when I check the
workgroup station. Can this be done or am I wasting my time??? I need to
decide if i'm going to be keeping this new computer/operating system. So far
no one else in the house wants to use it. When I had the printer hooked up
direct we kept having problems I was up at 3am troubleshooting so my son
could print his homework! Please help....
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-25-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can you share printer from Windows XP computer to a Vista Homepre
Catmom7 wrote:
> I have two computers that run Windows Xp , Just recently we purchased one
> with Vista home premium. I tried to have the Vista as the main computer but
> was not able to share the printer (Lexmark 3350) with the other two computers
> . I've switched it back so now the other two Windows Xp computers are able to
> share the printer. I have not been able to get the one with Vista to
> recognize the printer. All of the computers show up when I check the
> workgroup station. Can this be done or am I wasting my time??? I need to
> decide if i'm going to be keeping this new computer/operating system. So far
> no one else in the house wants to use it. When I had the printer hooked up
> direct we kept having problems I was up at 3am troubleshooting so my son
> could print his homework! Please help....


You can do this provided the printer has Vista drivers and you have
correctly set up file/printer sharing on your Local Area Network (LAN)
and shared out the printer from the computer to which it is attached.
Install the drivers on the Vista machine. Here is a TinyURL link to
Vista drivers for the Lexmark X3350:

http://tinyurl.com/3c9qvd

Here is a link to information about file/printer sharing on Vista:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2007
Catmom7
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can you share printer from Windows XP computer to a Vista Home
OMG, thanks so much. I am now able to use my printer on any one of the
computers...

"Malke" wrote:

> Catmom7 wrote:
> > I have two computers that run Windows Xp , Just recently we purchased one
> > with Vista home premium. I tried to have the Vista as the main computer but
> > was not able to share the printer (Lexmark 3350) with the other two computers
> > . I've switched it back so now the other two Windows Xp computers are able to
> > share the printer. I have not been able to get the one with Vista to
> > recognize the printer. All of the computers show up when I check the
> > workgroup station. Can this be done or am I wasting my time??? I need to
> > decide if i'm going to be keeping this new computer/operating system. So far
> > no one else in the house wants to use it. When I had the printer hooked up
> > direct we kept having problems I was up at 3am troubleshooting so my son
> > could print his homework! Please help....

>
> You can do this provided the printer has Vista drivers and you have
> correctly set up file/printer sharing on your Local Area Network (LAN)
> and shared out the printer from the computer to which it is attached.
> Install the drivers on the Vista machine. Here is a TinyURL link to
> Vista drivers for the Lexmark X3350:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3c9qvd
>
> Here is a link to information about file/printer sharing on Vista:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
>
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2007
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Can you share printer from Windows XP computer to a Vista Home
Catmom7 wrote:
> OMG, thanks so much. I am now able to use my printer on any one of the
> computers...


I'm so glad that sorted it for you. Thanks for taking the time to post back.


Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Windows Firewall on Vista Home Pre have log? dave microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 07-13-2007 08:18
Something wen Wrong On My Windows Vista Home Pre academic Papz microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 06-03-2007 04:55
Re: Outlook Express 6 share files XP home + Vista Home Prem PA Bear microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 5 05-23-2007 07:12
vista & xp on 2 computers, 1 printer- can they share the printer? Sarah microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 05-01-2007 23:56
Access to windows xp wkstn from home Laptop using window vista pre =?Utf-8?B?Z2FyeQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 2 02-07-2007 21:34




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:43.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120